Now have my own Coagucheck XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I met the trained pharmacist and got some first hand trainining this week. He told me that the 15 second interval can be a bit exagerated, maybe not 45 seconds but 20-23 seconds should be ok. Results may be slightly off but.... I think I was a bit tense with that time limit since the drop of blood seem to take a long time to flow. He told me that applying pressure between the first knuckle and the hand for 15-20 seconds prior to picking will get the blood built up at the tip.
Anyway, I finally was able to get a result of 3.0 with my XS immediately after returning from the clinic which later in the day reported a result of 3.06 from my blood draw. Can't get any closer than that. Hoping that I can continue in that direction. Yeahhhhhhhhh

SM, that is totally excellent !!!!!!! :) Enjoy.

The last batch of lancets, I bought at Wal-Mart. They are real thin gauge which I like because I am 'thick skinned', no pun intended. They are beige in color & were pretty cheap. Can't remember how much I paid, but I know they were not expensive.

I draw my blood usually on Friday afternoons, right after I pour water in the sink to do the noon dishes. After running my hands in the hot tap water, I find that that makes drawing my blood easier. Also, if you tense up when you are about to prick your finger, that will minimize the amount of blood drops.

Good luck to you & congrats for getting your own meter. You're gonna love it! :)

Thanks for the finger "tip" njean, pun intended. For sure I was tensed up the first few times, worried in screwing up the process and wasting another $10.00. BTW, what guage are your Walmart lancets?

Last edited:
Sweetmarie -- I use the 21 or 22 gauge, and set full depth for my lancing device. I also got over the fear of pain (usually a very minor discomfort, if any, and only for an instant) and be sure to apply some pressure on the lancing device before I push the trigger. Like N Jean, I found that warm water helps improve the capillary blood flow - I sometimes run some warm water over my hand before making the incision. I don't think you can actually get enough blood if you use a lancet (usually 30 or 33 gauge) designed for blood glucose testing. (FWIW -- I have a lifetime supply of the lancets that I got on eBay ridiculously cheap -- send me a private message if you'd like me to send you a box).

On another note my devise is always about .5 over the lab draw. Good thing to test for your own equipment.

I was able to get another XS result today, two in a row, I'm getting the hang of it. My result was 2.8 and my clinic's blood draw result was 2.78. I'm honestly very pleased so far with the results I'm getting from my XS compared to the clinic's. I also learned today that my family doctor reported if I can get 5 XS results in a row within the clinic's tolerance, they will use my results and adjust my dosage.

My third test compared to the clinic is not as close as the first two. I got a 2.3 at home with a 2.59 at the clinic. I ask those with experience, is this about the widest spread I can expect or do you suspect an erroneous result? Not speculating which is the correct result.

I don't have an XS, but the variability may be related to the lab's test. If they mishandle the blood, or delay transfer of the blood from where it's drawn to the lab (perhaps the blood was taken in your doctor's office, then sent to the lab, for example), there is a possibility that the lab's result may be different. I'm guessing that if you had tested your blood on your XS meter, with tests a few minutes apart, your results would have been the same (or almost the same). This sugests that the real difference may have been on the lab side of the equation.

I use an InRatio now, and used to use a ProTime meter. Tests on both meters at the same time were very close to each other. A few years ago, I tested using the ProTime and got a 2.9. The next day, I got a concussion, and the hospital lab got a 2.92. PRETTY DARNED CLOSE.

Your doctor's concern about your XS results matching the lab's seems to be a bit misplaced -- the XS (and the other meters) is quite accurate. Plus, using the same instrument to test each time should give more consistently reliable results than switching between lab and XS. (The variance of .29 that you report is probably not that significant as long as you're still in therapeutic range. If, instead, your meter said 2.3 and the lab said 4.0, THAT's when I'd be concerned -- but a 2.3 on your meter and 2.59 at the lab shouldn't be all that big of an issue - especially because handling of the blood between the time it's drawn and the time the lab tests it could throw some variance into the mix).

My third test compared to the clinic is not as close as the first two. I got a 2.3 at home with a 2.59 at the clinic. I ask those with experience, is this about the widest spread I can expect or do you suspect an erroneous result? Not speculating which is the correct result.

Hello SM,
Standards indicate that this is most likely the biggest difference that you will see (in a properly run test).
The quality control states that .2 is the accepted variance in the Coaguchek XS testers.

When I do my annual blood tests we always include an INR test to compare to my home monitor.
This year on August 9th my blood lab vein draw gave me an INR of 3.1 and my home test an hour later
gave me 3.3 both of these readings make me very happy. :)

Regarding which is the "correct result". ..Neither.....or both.
...Labs and home monitors use different reagents and may vary slightly.
Congrats on the great tests.

Big day for me. I received training from Roche nurse on my new Coagucheck XS. My first test was in range, thankfully--2.8. No more going to the doctor to get tested---yeh, yeh,yeh.
I can't get over how small the machine is---perfect for travel. We take a cruise mid October from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on Holland America. Can test also for glucometer for blood sugar from same poke once a week. Life is sweet! Makes my open heart surgery seem distant. This bionic (mechanical aortic valve) woman is definitely feeling more empowered everyday and thrilled that my insurance paid 100% for both machine and strips ( at least, until the end of the year).

Sweetmarie, a lab draw has an allowed variance of .2 when it come to an INR test. They do 3 tests from your sample then takes and average from the results. So..... there's nothing wrong with the results you received.

I've had a difference of .4 between the lab and my monitor, but I don't worry about it if both results are in range.

Bina -- ANNUAL blood test? Does this mean that you compare a blood draw to the meter once a year? You don't mean that your INR is only tested once a year, do you?

Narob -- Although it may be possible to do an INR test and a blood glucose test from one drop, this probably shouldn't be done. The CoaguChek XS requires the FIRST drop, within fifteen seconds of making the incision. Some blood glucose meters may want the same first drop. The blood glucose meters usually take such a small drop of blood that you may still consider using a different finger and doing the blood glucose test from the small, almost painless puncture that you make for a blood glucose test.

Big day for me. I received training from Roche nurse on my new Coagucheck XS. My first test was in range, thankfully--2.8. No more going to the doctor to get tested---yeh, yeh,yeh.
I can't get over how small the machine is---perfect for travel. We take a cruise mid October from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on Holland America. Can test also for glucometer for blood sugar from same poke once a week. Life is sweet! Makes my open heart surgery seem distant. This bionic (mechanical aortic valve) woman is definitely feeling more empowered everyday and thrilled that my insurance paid 100% for both machine and strips ( at least, until the end of the year).

Hello Narob and welcome to the group. Congrats on your home testing !!

Latest posts

Back