Not healthy but oh so good

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I know as heart patients we should be eating healthy foods, but there are times when I like to indulge. The purpose of this thread is to throw out some really good, but not necessarily healthy recipes.

I'll start with the first recipe. This was a favorite as a kid growing up, and us kids used to always fight for it. Dad would always make it with Ham, so New Years or Easter we would have it. I hope you enjoy it.

Dad's Baked German Spaghetti

Ingredients:
  • 1 lg can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 sm can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 sm can tomato paste (6 oz ) (may need two cans)
  • 3 med onions (Sliced, not diced)
  • 2 or 3 cloves of garlic -- if they are large just two
  • 3, 8 - 10 oz packages of New York sharp cheese (white only? do not get the yellow NY Sharp Cheese.) (The more cheese, the better!)
  • 1½ to 2 lbs thin spaghetti
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation:
Using large sauce pan, simmer crushed tomatoes - add quartered, sliced onions and crushed, chopped garlic and add salt and pepper to taste. As this simmers add 2 to 3 cups of water and in the last 10 or so minutes add the tomato paste to thicken. Should have the consistency of good spaghetti sauce. Simmer at least 1 Hour.

Cut the New York cheese into cubes. 3/4" works best. Refrigerate until used.

Boil spaghetti until cooked (do not over cook). Add some olive oil and a dash of salt to the water.

Drain Spaghetti in a colander and while sauce and spaghetti are hot layer into 3 quart or larger casserole that is oven proof. (We use a large crock from our slow cooker)
Layer as such :
Layer of cheese squares
Layer of spaghetti
Ladle in sauce -- do not mix!
Repeat same steps - should be able to repeat 3 times.
Press in any remaining cubes of cheese into top and liberally sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.

Bake in oven (uncovered) while hot for 1 hour @ 400 degrees - top should be browned and crispy (the kids love to fight for this stuff!)

The story behind this recipe is, that back in the 1930?s my father?s parents lived next to a Hungarian lady who would make this fantastic spaghetti. To the best of my father?s memories, this is how she made it. Although she was Hungarian, my father?s mother was German and coined the dish German Spaghetti.

Ross's Pizza Burgers

Ross's Pizza Burgers

1 Jar Ragu Pizza Quick Traditional or whatever you like
1 lb ground chuck (You can substitute whatever meat topping you like or even add more)
1 8 pack sandwich buns
16 slices Kraft American cheese

Brown beef and drain
Separate the 8 buns into 16 slices and place on baking sheet.
Place 1 tablespoon sauce on each slice
Place 1 tablespoon beef on each slice
Place 1 slice of cheese on each slice

Bake in the oven at 350 for about 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese begins to turn brown around the edges.

Serving size 2 burgers per person but no body can eat just 2 so plan on 4 per person.

Please rename that spaghetti dish to BAKED HUNGARIAN SPAGHETTI.
There is no way that you would ever see it in a German household.
Sorry, that was the name my German Grandma gave it, and that is the name it will have in my house. Besides, I'm half Hungarian, and I know a Hungarian dish when I see one, and that is not one. For starters, it doesn't have any lard (the other white fat) in it, no sour cream, and no paprika. :)

Now, if you want a really good Hungarian dish, I have a few of those guaranteed to clog up your arteries in no time. Hmmm... I have such a taste for Paprika Gravy and Dumplings right about now.... I'll save that one though for another post.

I shouldn't have read this thread before lunch! Somehow my protein shake just doesn't sound appealing right now. :(

1 Half Pound Cheesy Bean and Rice Burrito
2 Cheesy Beefy Melts
1 Sierra Mist

Consume quickly before cheese and sour cream congeals.

Enjoy! :D :D No really, I'm going to try to get an awesome recipe for you guys.

Ross that's one of the recipes we made when we were kids. (Pizza buns)
We would put it on english muffins too. It was good and we could make them ourselves!!!:)(the memories)

Ross that's one of the recipes we made when we were kids. (Pizza buns)
We would put it on english muffins too. It was good and we could make them ourselves!!!:)(the memories)

We had them for school lunches sometimes. That is where I fell in love with them. School food was GOOD on those days.

1 Jar Ragu Pizza Quick Traditional or whatever you like
1 lb ground chuck (You can substitute whatever meat topping you like or even add more)
1 8 pack sandwich buns
16 slices Kraft American cheese

Brown beef and drain
Separate the 8 buns into 16 slices and place on baking sheet.
Place 1 tablespoon sauce on each slice
Place 1 tablespoon beef on each slice
Place 1 slice of cheese on each slice

Bake in the oven at 350 for about 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese begins to turn brown around the edges.

Serving size 2 burgers per person but no body can eat just 2 so plan on 4 per person.

We made these last week per your directions and they were a hit!

I remember as a kid when it was summer time, we used to make these little pizza's. I hate to say the name because it might offend someone, but they were called ghetto pizza's.

2 tbsp spaghetti sauce
1 slice of white bread
1 slice cheese (mozzarella, swiss, etc.)
optional pepper, dried oregano

We would just pop them in the toaster over and heat them up. They were so good (and cheap).

Also, I remember during college those Ramen noodle packs. We used to do something "Freebasing Ramen Noodles". It's not what you think, but you would take the spice packet, open it and throw the entire thing (less the foil pouch) into your mouth, and then start eating the raw noodle bar. Not that healthy, but it worked between classes. I wonder if that was why my BP used to be so high?

My 13 year old granddaughter eats Ramen Noodles that way when she is too hungry to wait for them to cook or she will be cooking one pack and eating one that way. She wears a size 0 and she is always eating.

Terry, you know what is funny. Look at the salt content of a Stoffers Mac and Cheese, and look at the salt content of a Ramen noodle. The Ramen has less in it. Go figure.

Grandma horvath?s hungarian paprika gravy

Grandma horvath?s hungarian paprika gravy

GRANDMA HORVATH?S HUNGARIAN PAPRIKA GRAVY
(Or as close I can get anyhow)

Makes about 7 ? 8 cups

* 1 tablespoon freshly rendered lard (See hint below)
* 5 ? 10 tablespoons Hungarian paprika or more to taste (don?t buy cheap paprika? Grandma would have a fit)
* 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped (not powdered garlic)
* 1 cup seeded and chopped Anaheim green peppers or chopped but not seeded Cubanella peppers
* 1 cup peeled and chopped yellow onions
* ½ cup chopped ripe tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon chicken base
* 6 cups beef stock
* Salt and Pepper to taste
* 1 cup sour cream
* ¼ cup all-purpose flour

Heat a large heavy stove top stock pot and add the lard and paprika. Cook over medium heat for a moment and then add the garlic, green pepper, onion, and tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes until all is tender. Add the chicken base and beef stock, along with the salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

In a metal bowl, mix the sour cream and flour together. Mix it well with a wire whip as you do not want lumps. Add a cup of the gravy from the pot and quickly stir it into the cream and flour mixture with the whisk. Remove the gravy from the heat and stir in the cream mixture, mixing it well. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes/ Strain the gravy and discard the solids?or lumps.

Serve this over stuffed bell peppers, Hungarian cabbage rolls, chicken paprikas, or just with Hungarian dumplings.

How to Render Lard:

I know, LARD... we all here it is bad for us, but to get the real taste correct, you must use it. You can buy store made lard (looks like Crisco), but it just does not have the same taste. So, you can use some other type of oil if you want, but having this one in a while I don't think is all that bad.

Tell your butcher that you want fresh pork fatback, coarsely chopped, for rendering. Get 2 or 3 pounds. Place in a heavy stock pot or kettle and add one cup of water. Set over medium heat until all is boiling and then reduce heat to medium low. Cook until the port fat pieces have shrunk to small toasty bits and the fat is clear yellow, about 2 hours. Allow the fat to cool and store it in glass jars in the refrigerator.

Also, I remember during college those Ramen noodle packs. We used to do something "Freebasing Ramen Noodles". It's not what you think, but you would take the spice packet, open it and throw the entire thing (less the foil pouch) into your mouth, and then start eating the raw noodle bar. Not that healthy, but it worked between classes. I wonder if that was why my BP used to be so high?[/QUOTE]

Ya think???? :eek::D And if you were prone to migraines I bet those packets are laced with MSG as well. I'm too old for that as a college memory, but my 20 year olds loved them. I always insisted that they only use half a packet in their broth.

Great cheap snacks!

Oh, and I use James Beard's recipe for spaghetti sauce. I like it because he adds 1 grated carrot to the red sauce...it thickens some and sweetens it quite mildly.

Marguerite

Last edited:
Back