No way....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debster

:(:(Okay...so I go to my dr's office today for yearly appt...get on the flippin scale...I was looking forward to it because my last weigh in was 169 for the Throw down...it said 182.:eek: How is this possible? My scale can't be that off, can it? My clothes are fitting MUCH better than last summer when my scale said 183...I walk every night. Try to eat only when hungry, not boredom, etc. I am SO bummed, don't know what to do about Friday's throwdown. On a lighter note...dr said I looked thinner. Maybe I need to pitch my scale and start completely over...ideas? Thanks...Deb

Deb...hang tough....my PCP's scales weight ten plus more than mine do....pisses me off....:mad:....DO NOT GIVE UP:)....this is a long road...if your clothes fit better something is working....I understand how you feel ....It is very disheartening.....but you will reach your goal....

(((((CHIMP HUG)))))

I think we are all too caught up with numbers. The important thing is how we feel. If we feel healthy, toned and get exercise, what does it matter?

Just continue what you are doing and know that you feel great. Pretend you didn't get on that doctor's scale. All it did was make you feel bad and how can that help?

Deb,

Not saying this to make you feel better, but I have encountered doctor's scales in the past that were out of kilter -- In fact, they said one set of scales was wrong, and had me weigh on another one. Also I have had weights vary on doctor's scales according to the experience level of the nurse doing the weighing.

I would go with what your scales have been telling you, esp. since your clothes are fitting better and you are feeling well.

Some of these Dr scales, esp the electronic ones are notoriously inaccurate. We all had a good chuckle one day at cardiac rehab when the scale there weighed everyone 8-10 lbs thinner than it had earlier in the same week.

If you are less on your scale then feel good about it. Perhaps there's a health club or other facility (our pool has a scale) where you could double check. At the end of the day, feel good about your progress. My bet is his scale is off.

Dr office scales are seldom more accurate than your own. They can be thrown off by any number of factors and the older they are, the worse they'll get.

The ones that are most accurate are at Weight Watchers. Those people absolutely must be accurate because it's the basis of their entire business. I went to WW a year ago and found that mine was weighing 3.5 lbs heavy, so I went out and bought a new digital one (about $50) that weighs to .1 lbs. It's not as good as the WW ones but pretty close, always within 1 lb. At least if it's new you have a better chance of being accurate.

It's not all about the weight either. Fat vs muscle is just as important. Another thing I got was a hand held body fat monitor (Omron $30)
http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Fat-Loss-Monitor/dp/B000FYZMYK

It's not terribly accurate, but close enough. A professional using calipers might get a better estimate, but it's good for a relative measure week to week. You can also buy scales with the body fat measurement build in. A bit more expensive.

I promise I am not just saying this so you will feel better but my cardio's scale and mine are always exactly the same. I always weigh my self just before I leave for my appointment so I can check mine.

When I was last weighed at by my PCP, I weighed 12 pounds more than I had one hour before at home. I said to the nurse, "No Way. Your scale is wrong." She laughed and said they had realized that week it was off and were waiting for a new one. She wanted to see how many people had any idea how much they actually weighed.

I agree with the others, how you feel and how your clothes fit are the best measures.

:(:(Okay...so I go to my dr's office today for yearly appt...get on the flippin scale...I was looking forward to it because my last weigh in was 169 for the Throw down...it said 182.:eek: How is this possible? My scale can't be that off, can it? My clothes are fitting MUCH better than last summer when my scale said 183...I walk every night. Try to eat only when hungry, not boredom, etc. I am SO bummed, don't know what to do about Friday's throwdown. On a lighter note...dr said I looked thinner. Maybe I need to pitch my scale and start completely over...ideas? Thanks...Deb

I have one daughter-in-law who tells whoever weighs her that she doesn't want to know what it is and wants no comment on her weight whatsoever. My PCP's scale was consistently 6 lbs greater than my home scales so I gave in and now have my home scales set at 6 lbs where the zero would usually be.
Don't let it get you down though. If your scale makes you happier than just stick with it. I'm sure it at least trends in the right direction. If you clothes feel better than don't fret one minute about it.

scales

scales

I don't worry much about what the scales at the doctor's office indicate when I check in. They weigh me with whatever I happen to be wearing or have in my pockets. The best quick gauge for how I'm doing with weight issues is how well my clothes fit. Another indication is how I feel.

-Philip

My doctor's scale was 8 pounds heavier than mine :eek: . I was shocked. I came home and moved our needle up to eight pounds (and had to keep checking it because my husband kept moving it back down to zero because he didn't want to weigh that much more either).

I am relieved to read here that doctor's scales can be off, though, because my doctor insisted that there was no way his scale was off :rolleyes: .

Latest posts

Back