no surgeon follow up appt

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My surgeon saw me afterwards, at 6 mos and 1 yr and every anniversary. I think he likes to keep an eye on his "ross" patients.
Lucky you, Adam! I would love to see Dr Ryan once a year!

I saw my surgeon, Dr Ryan, once a few weeks after surgery, then was released to my cardiologist. I ended up back with my surgeon when I felt my cardiologist was ignoring my very severe issues.

Chris

I had follow ups with my surgeon after my 1st and 2nd surgeries. But, after the 3rd recently, when I called to make the appt, I was told he felt he didn't need to see me and to just follow up with my cardio. They are friends, and talked about me enough that I guess my surgeon felt he was just as qualified to take care of me. Also, my cardio heard the murmur of my failing valves that my surgeon couldn't hear before my surgery.
So my surgeon was impressed with my cardio. My insurance wasn't too happy when they called to see if I had done my follow up with the surgeon, but I didn't hear back from them, so all is okay.

I saw my surgeon in the hospital every day and then I saw him once more for my 6week appointment then was released to my cardio. I have seen the surgeon since then but only because my best friend had OHS surgery in Oct. 2008 and he was her surgeon. I saw him everyday for about 10 days since she had issues and I was there. I don't think I have ever had surgery where I did not got to the surgeon for at least one follow up before being released to my PCP.

I saw a doctor every day at least once for the 10 days I was in the hospital, but have never met the actual surgeon. But have no complaints...they took good care of me. Did go back to the surgeon's office at 1 week because the top stitch where they tied the knot on my incision was causing a reaction (but luckily not an infection). After that the surgery center was done with me and I saw my cardio at 2 weeks and then again at almost 4 months and now not again for a year.

And, my cardio didn't want to do any tests such as echo or EKG....said he had alot of years listening to hearts and could tell if something was not right and that tests this soon would not be really valid because everything needed to get back in position and back to working the way it should with the bad valve out of the mix so he just said, "see you in about a year; but, call if anything feels difference or you have questions". That was good for me and, as I'm finding out, the total healing does take a long time and there are definitely good sets of days and other sets of days where you feel like you're just plodding along not getting worse but not getting better. In the end, however, the better days win out.

I live out in the desert and it's been too hot to walk during the day so I started walking about sundown when the breeze comes up some. Sundown in the desert has always been a "spiritual experience" for me and tonight I could have yelled for the whole world to hear, "I'M SO GLAD TO BE ALIVE!!!!"

Midge

Latest posts

Back