No more Coumadin for me!!!yippee!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weekycat

Hi guys,

I'm at 8 weeks now, and since I only had mitral valve repair, no artificial valve, I get to stop taking Coumadin.

I had this nagging feeling tonight that I was forgetting something, and then I thought, no I don't have to take it anymore!

My only question is, what do I do with the leftover pills? Would it be okay to give them to someone else who's on it? (My father, and my mother-in-law both are). or should I just flush them down the toilet?

No more bruises! I was starting to look like a victim of domestic abuse! :D Jean

Hi Jean,

I was given a whole bunch of Coumadin by a friend last year. I called the pharmacist to ask him about it, and he said that if it is over two years old, not to accept it, otherwise it would be fine. I took it all, and it was great. Saved me a bunch of money.
Glad you were able to get off the Coumadin.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
Mechanical

You Lucky Duck, er Chick, I mean!

Hope you're off the rat poison for ever more!!

Sweetie

Sweetie

You are sooo Lucky. Congrats and more power to you and keep doing well.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Wouldn't it be lovely!!

Wouldn't it be lovely!!

I am hoping to have a MV repair. The surgeon said it was a possibility but that was in May 2001. A lot has happened to me since then- a five/half hour bowel op and then stoma reversal three months later and then the heart surgeon let me travel to the other end of the country just to tell me he'd like me to wait another year to let my system recover before the valve surgery.
To get to the point... I am hoping that I can still have a repair, even though my condition is deteriorating, and come off warfarin like you. I'm sure it has other side effects than those mentioned on the leaflet that comes with it. But, he did say that he would try to fit me in this autumn if my annual bowel check is good. That happens this week so wish me luck. I am really looking forward to having more energy and being able to walk and swim again. Diana

Hi Diana-

I hope all goes well with your annual bowel check. I really think your surgeon did you a favor in waiting until your system recovered. My husband has had several major things which happened all in a row, and his body was never able to recover completely when the next thing hit. It's been a long hard road for him, and we didn't have the luxury of waiting for any of it. Everything had to be taken care of asap. It took a toll on his body for sure.

You'll be in better shape to withstand your heart surgery, now that you've recovered from the other surgery.

Take care and be well.

Recovering from one surgery before another

Recovering from one surgery before another

Hello Nancy

The heart surgeon said he would really like me to wait twelve months. He said that in May. Truth is that I can manage OK as my husband helps a lot, cleaning and so on but some days I just want to sleep and others I get frightening symptoms if I forget and bend down to get something. To be honest I would get very depressed if I thought I had to wait another twelve months but I must admit that sometimes I wonder if I should - but other times I am convinced that I have done my recovering from the bowel surgeries and may as well get on with the heart job. Its a problem. Diana

Yippeeee

Yippeeee

Congrats Jean on getting off the Coumadin. I don't mind taking it, but....

Hey, Perry, if it's rat poison, what does that make us?!? LOL :D

I had a mitral valve repair three months ago. My cardiologist and surgeon both told me that I could stop Coumadin after three months cold turkey. Looking for someone who has had same experience.

Also, have had problems with lightheadedness and some dizziness . Anyone with similar problems. Doctors say everything is fine.

Hi,

Congrats on your positive news.. Off the Coumadin!!!! Eating all the salads, and other crazy food, when ever, without a schedule.!!!!

Hey Johnny... Good thing we're not rats... otherwise taking this stuff would be the end of us!! LOL

Rob

Congrats, Jean.

If I ever have to take it, I will, but I hope I never have to. No matter what every body says here about its manageability, none of my docs like it and I'll avoid it if I can.

By the way, I read somewhere that we should never flush meds down the toilet; it ends up killing wildlife and wrecking the environment.

Of course, if the wildlife are rats, maybe not such a bad idea!:D

I always see it recommended that old meds not be given away or flushed, but rather wrapped securely and trashed.

Again, many happy thromboembolic event free years to you!

Latest posts

Back