Night sweats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bocco

Anybody find that they now wake up sweating in the middle of the nigh. Since I got home I wake up sweating or at least kind of clammy. The house is not hot and the blankets aren't heavier then I usually use. It just seems like my internal thermostat is off a little.

Gary

Gary, if you search this site, you will find that many of us have experienced this. At two and a half years, I still experience mild sweating around 3:30 or so in the morning during my sleep. It was much more pronounced during the early months and has been tapering off since then. I think you are right that in some way, surgery seems to have effected thermal regulation in some way. When I asked my doctor about it, she said it is common and the cause is not understood.

Larry

I think its quite common after OHS. Several times a day I'd feel like I was freezing and several times a day I'd be too hot and sweating a lot.

The hardest thing about the sweating is that its a symptom of endocarditis bacterial infection as well. The highest probability is that its internal temperature regulation problem though. I think if it were endocarditis you'd feel like you had a bad flue.

I'm another person who had significant night sweats when I returned home. They faded over time, but have never fully gone away. Similar to Bean Counter, I've found that I tend to break out in a sweat much more easily when I'm mildly exerting myself than before my operation, but that's something that's easy for me to live with.

TMI warning. Before surgery I was one sweaty bastard. When I used to exercise and I exercised alot I would sweat oodles. I always have a towel with me at the gym, and after my sessions my short and shirt would be soaked completely. I suppose it helped that I drank 1-2 gallons of water per day each and every day.

Either way, I am home post op and not exercising at the moment, so I cannot speak in regards to my exercise sweat. However, I used to always sweat at night (just a little bit, but enough for me to notice), and now I think I sweat a bit more. My internal thermostat like others goes wiggy sometimes and if I sweat at night and wake up it is kind of gross and more noticeable than before.

Not as much of an annoyance to me if I can get back to sleep, which currently is a bit difficult.

TMI warning over.

For about two months or more after the surgery I had the night sweats bad. I would lay two beach towels over my bead at night and peel them off throughout the night as they got saturated. I somehow always ended up in the recliner where I had towels waiting,,,, thank God for Lazyboy!! I never got a good answer why this happens. Some says it's the heart lung machine or the sleepy drugs. I have also been told it is the body healing itself while others say it is the bodies way of getting rid of fluid. Regardless of what it is the common thing here is that most people experience it. Think of to as a good way to clean the pores.

I had the night sweats for a month or so, it finally went away. It was so bad, I needed to change my sheets in the night.

Add me to the list. I had night sweats horrendously bad for at least a couple months afterwards. Living in the frozen tundra and it being the tail end of winter, I had fleece sheets and warm jammies on the first couple nights. Woke up drenched. Had my mom whip my summer sheets on the bed, summer pajamas and still woke up drenched but not quite as bad. :) Of course during the day I had the chills. Ah the joys of post-OHS!

So the night sweats seem to be tapering off. My primary care physician has had me on antibiotics chasing an infection that has been causing me to run a low fever. Seems to be working.

Another for night sweats

Another for night sweats

Im 6 days out from surgery, still in hospital (might be leaving today) and experiencing the same thing. My room has been between 60 and 65 and Im still sweating through my gown when I sleep

Drenched each night for the first two months after surgery. Our surgeon said this can be normal. I am 2.5 months post op now and have minimal sweats now.

Latest posts

Back