Newly diagnosed BAV- surgery very soon- completely in shock...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Jen -- I felt exactly the same way when I first learned about my valve just over a year ago. The people on this site will really help allay your fears. I was reading through the advice you have gotten already -- WOW. This is the best place to learn about the problem. I am finding that learning as much as you can about it helps and and your mind will get used to the idea with time.
I had an angiogram (catherization) last week at St. Michael's in Toronto and it wasn't bad at all. I got to try ativan for the first time -- I might see if I can get a prescription to help with nerves!! I didn't have a bruise at all. I did feel a little crummy for a couple of days afterwards, (who knows why!) but now I'm fine.
Tomorrow I meet with the surgeon for the first time and will get a date for surgery in Jan. I am relieved that the waiting will be over.
I have an 18 yr old daughter and two boys in their twenties. I am being honest with them about having surgery and priming them to help afterwards -- we will see how that works!
All the best,
Dale:)

Big hi and welcome Jen,I recall 16 years ago when this great family vr

wasnot here,omg i denied the news and took 2 extra jobs just to not

be home to think about it,worked round the clock till i dropped,had to

have aortic surgery and now at age 47 waiting for 2nd surgery to put in

a mitral mechanical i never had done.

So glad you found us,not for reason but your here and you will do fine:)

All i can say is the wait is the worst for me,i had tee and echo done

in sept this year and waiting for a call for surgery,taken off work in sept.

Ask away all your questions and someone will happily answer for you.

All the best.:)

zipper2 (DEB)

If this catheterization is the same as an angiogram :)confused:) I had mine done in the wrist with no complications with bleeds and its just the way Wayne describe it - getting warm all the way down to your toes. Maybe someone could clarify these two procedures.

They are one and the same.

Hey, Jenn. I just noticed you're from London Ont. I lived there from 1979 to 1986 and still keep in touch with many friends there, and visit occasionally, especially Rocky's (...since you're into bikes you've probably been there yourself ;) ). I bought my first brand new Harley from them when they were still in a very little shop (an old converted house) on Wharncliffe. You've got some great medical facilities in London, too, so I'm sure you're in great hands.

thanks again everyone.. your encouragement and stories have made this so much easier....
Wayne, you'll have to let me know next time you come to Rocky's... one of my fav places to shop!
my riding partner is in Brampton, but he comes this way to get me all the time... took me to Dover this year too... did you get there?
and i am very lucky to be living in London.... i know that now.

... took me to Dover this year too... did you get there?

Absolutely! I'm only an hour away from Dover so the first thing I do when we get the vacation planner at work is book off all the Friday the 13ths during the riding season to attend the bike ralley. I rode down to a Friday the 13th in Dover in snow flurries once and decided I would never do that again. That was a few years ago and I think I've finally thawed out. ;)

Game of Life!

Game of Life!

Nothing like the rug of life pulled right out from under you! Been on that ride and doing good, very blessed I am alive. Thank God for you that they found this! The cath is nothing you will be on drugs and awake but will not care, they cover you with warm blankets and are very nice to you. Then you go to recovery and they apply pressure to your leg to stop the bleeding of your port hole that you know have. I just passed my two year date of rebirth! You will be fine! Stay strong and in faith! We all here have been through most anything. I found this sight long after I had surgery. So it is a good thing you found it early in the game! Take Care! have your surgery!

Hello, Jen! Just about the same age here when I was dx'd. It's something else to wrap one's mind around. My youngest daughter was in 5th grade, she was deeply worried, and all I could tell her is that my fantastic surgeon just does NOT make mistakes!

The cath is amazing, you can watch it. I was kept in hosp that night and my heart surgery was the next morning, which helped my nerves better. He did a TEE as well just before he started, he told me, and got a really good pic of the valve's dilatation measurements and the aneurysm, as not such good results from previous ones.

You are going to get your life back! It hurts, there are things that can pop up, but you can run and walk and BREATHE again, I promise you! I went from feeling like I had huge magnets on my feet holding me down to jogging several miles at a time. SLOWLY jogging, but hey! :D

You get your life back. Mentally, I had to catch up as it seems and IS such a huge event. Other people don't always get on board with you and your family as you LOOK okay, you must BE okay, right? Be prepared for that.

Shock is natural. I thought I was just fatigued and stressed when I first pursued info on my symptoms. No clue. But I have a nephew born with coaractation of the aorta, he's got bicuspid, so my journey will help him later if he has surgery.

Good luck to you! Many hugs. Your daughter will be amazingly strong, but I told mine it's okay to be scared, so was I. Let her meet your surgeon, see the pics of your insides. Mine was fascinated and could see what needed fixin'.

Hi Jen, Welcome to the vr forum... Ask all the questions you need to, that's what we are here for. The more information you get the more relaxed you'll feel.
You are normal with all your fears, just handle them one at a time and things will work out. Best of Luck and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back