NEWBIE: Needs advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now since I am able to function lilttle bit more here is the unexpected journey in brief:

I went for my cardiac catheter test on July 10 which takes about 50 minutes. Very early in the test my blood pressure dropped and I went into cardiac arrest. I was practically gone for a few minutes when they tried to revive me with electric shock and CPR. After 10 shocks I responded. Since my heart had stopped beating, we don’t know if there is permanent neural damages. My vision has taken a hit in not being sharp as well as unable to focus precisely.

I have been told by team doctors that it is a miracle that I am alive.

As for the valve, it is On-X. Presently the INR is 1.99.

So it was an open heat surgery with Pacemaker and defibrillator installed. Sutures will be removed on August 7
Oh wow, quite the experience.

Don't worry about the pacemaker. I got mine too from a surgical complication, and took me a few months to even start to think about what I needed to know!

Are you home yet? I am sure they will have given you the hygiene pep talk, but remember: infection is the biggest risk at home. Don't let well-meaning friends touch anywhere near your scar, make sure they wash their hands thoroughly, don't share towels and only use 2 or 3 times maximum before washing in a high temperature.

Good luck - doing great.

ETA: I went back and caught up. So much for my advice saying don't sweat the heart catheterization. Do they have any idea what caused your BP to drop?

I removed my other comments as they aren't pertinent now.

Last edited:
rich01: Allergic reaction to contrast (which is the dye used) initiated it. Combine that with a blocked artery and aortic stenosis created a ”perfect storm“, as I was told. Fortunately a cardio thoracic surgeon is always kept as a backup in the hospital that proved pivotal.

rich01: Allergic reaction to contrast (which is the dye used) initiated it. Combine that with a blocked artery and aortic stenosis created a ”perfect storm“, as I was told. Fortunately a cardio thoracic surgeon is always kept as a backup in the hospital that proved pivotal.
Glad you are OK.

I was unable to pee after I had heart catheterization. I wonder if that might be related to the dye? Same thing after 2 stents put in. When I had TAVR, I took a Flomax just before the procedure and another after the procedure and that seemed to prevent having the problem.

I’m so glad you are alive and recovering!
What a story, yikes!!
I remember my 2nd surgery was delayed until evening because the patient before me turned out to be allergic to heparin. I think it was touch and go for him, too.
I thought cardiac caths were ‘just a test’ until I got mine when the nurses were on strike. I was given a fluid overload after the test in recovery when I had to stay lying down. I went into congestive heart failure from that nurse error. I was kept overnight, sent home just to come back a couple days later w bp of 90/19. My surgeon luckily was available so they kept me going another couple of days when he could do my avr #2. He later told me I was really sick going into that surgery.
My sister visited me when I was waiting for surgery. She asked the nurse outside the room about the tombstone looking pattern heart rhythm on my screen. She was worried for me but I was oblivious to that. I felt okay knowing my surgery was going to be the next day! Strangely, I didn’t feel as sick as I was.
We are all sending positive thoughts for your complete recovery!

Reactions: V__
Back