New User

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carlapv

Hi Everyone and Thanks to Pegne and lucky 614 for directing me to this site. I must say that it is great knowing that I am not alone and that the symptoms I have are not all in my head. My name is Carla Veal. I am 55 years old and have Mitral Stenosis ( mild) and Aortic Regurgitation (moderate/severe). I am post valvuloplasty for 8 years this month, however I am now seeing a rapid increase in symptoms. I have had bouts with A fib, once with the flu (cardioversion) and once with pneumonia (medication). I am now on Coumadin, Altace, Atenolol, Amiodarone and Lipitor. Lately I have awakened in the night gasping for breath and with my heart pounding. At first I tried to think that maybe I was just dreaming. I also have had alot of swelling of my entire body due to fluid retention. I become out of breath extremely quickly when doing anything physical even putting on my clothes. I know I need to see my cardiologist but I work for a rigid organization and they are getting very tired of my taking time off. Like millions of others I am stuck at this job because of insurance, so I have to ration out my doctor's visits. I already do not get my monthly coumadin checks because they make me 2 hours late to work.

Sorry, this is so long, but I can't tell you how good it feels just to be able to say it!!!
Thanks to all of you!
Carla

Hi Carla and welcome to the VR family

I know the job is important, but your life is even more important then that job is. It sounds to me like your flirting with disaster and should not put off seeing a Cardiologist immediately. We all have to make tough decisions these days, but when it's your life at risk, it shouldn't take a back seat or be compared to everything else. I don't mean to offend you. I only hope that you'll get the treatment you need. Employers have a way of replacing people that pass away! ;)

Hi and welcome. Ross, is right. Get in to see your cardiologist right away. Nothing is more important then your health!So glad you decided to join us. The kettle is always on, so pull up a chair.
martha

Hi Carla-

Nice to see you here. I am Lucky614 from heartcenteronline. My husband has had CHF for a long time. It's a serious condition, but it can be relieved tremendously with many different medications. It does require the careful monitoring of a good cardiologist. If it isn't treated properly, it can progress to a dangerous situation. And that can happen rapidly. Once you start having trouble breathing, it means that your lungs are filling with fluid, and your heart isn't pumping effectively enough to rid your body of this fluid. It will get worse without some medical intervention. You really must be dilligent with your care. If you have to go to the Human Resources Dept. at work, to have a talk with them you should do it soon. Also you might take a look at the laws regarding Americans with Disabilities in order to get fair treatment for yourself.

You have some conditions that need extra care. They are beyond your control and they are not something you can help yourself with, except in a very minimal way.

If treated properly, you will have a long and much more productive life. If you are in a debilitated condition, you will not be able to give your full attention to your job.

If you are having any more breathing problems, you should go to the ER fast.

Here are some links re. CHF

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1486

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=339

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=337

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1614

Best wishes to you.

Y'all are right

Y'all are right

Dear Ross, Martha and Nancy,
Thanks for your quick response to my post. I know that you all are right . I will call today. You know, it is sooo easy to fool yourself. I didn't realize just how ridiculous my excuses were till I actually saw it in print. Perhaps there is really more to it than just concern over my job. I guess maybe I'm a little worried over what he is going to say. I will just have to suck it up and make the call.
Thanks again for being there!
Carla

Hi Carla-

Worrying about what the doctor is going to have to say is a common thing, but---as you know deep down, worrying will NOT make your condition any better. It might make it worse. The only thing that will keep that big hammer from hanging over your head is to get things taken care of. There really are many wonderful treatments. This whole website is a celebration of LIFE.

Everyone here has been where you are, the spouses and loved ones included.

I'm so glad you are going to take your health to the right place. Let your cardiologist worry about your problems. That's what he/she is trained for and that's what the job entails.

Wishing you much better health!

Carla, I wanted to tell you that I don't mean to come off as a stone cold mean old rock. I'm not as eloquently speaking as Nancy is. She should be a writer!

What I'm telling you is from what I've learned through my own ordeal. I was a manager for a company before all these things happened to me. I was working 12 and 14 hour days, 6 and 7 days a week. I too, felt as if I was taking too much time off and that my employer and I were riding on thin ice with each other. I pushed and pushed until my aneurysm ruptured.

It took that brush with death to put things in the proper prospective. I never realized how much stress I was under until that fateful ordeal happened. When I look back at all of it now, all I see is one incredibly lucky but stupid person. I had let the job dictate my well being and it nearly killed me. I don't want to see that happen to anyone else. The job is not important if you end up like I did. I never realized until then that I had been virtually brainwashed by the job.

I just don't want to see another great person place their life in jeopardy because of a job. Companies will let you go to defend their interests. You should be able to let them go to defend yours too. I know how hard it is in the U.S. with the job market and insurance, but believe me, none of it is any good for anything if you don't have your health.

Do as Nancy suggested about going to the human resource officer and explaining what the situation is. Try to get them to see your side of things. If they don't want to listen or help, then I'd say that's a company that you would be best not being a part of. I do hope you understand what I'm saying. I do care! :)

Stone Cold

Stone Cold

Dear Ross,
You stone cold.....I don't think so. I appreciate your telling me what you think. Believe it or not I work for a national disability organization..self advocacy seems to stop at the front door of the office. You are right, I need to stand up for myself and do what needs to be done. I have already tried to make an appointment with my cardiologist but the computer system is down, so I am waiting for a call back.

Thanks a bunch!

Carla

Make the call

Make the call

I hope by now you have made the call and have an appointment. It is so easy to fool ourselves but this is so important you must do it. All of us on this site are behind you. We made the call. Good luck and as Nike says,"Just do it".

Good luck Carla and welcome aboard. We are all in this thing together so please please get to the cardiologist asap. I had to go on disability at 40 due to my numerous life threathning cardiac problems and I can relate with teh insurance issue. Thank God I was able to get Cobra for 18 months and when it runs out on May of this year they have agreed to extend it until next year when Im eligable for Medicare.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. Big hugs to you!!
:)

Latest posts

Back