New Trinket (boasting advisory)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillCobit

image.do

It was a fantastic day! I got up at 3:45 am to start choking down as much oatmeal and skim milk as I could handle, then went off to the bike corral to get my tires topped off, load up the fluid bottles and stuff the feedbag w/ pita bread.

image.do

image.do

I wasn't sure how to manage the swim. I got into the water about 6-7 people off the front row on the inside of the course. It occurred to me that I had no biz being in that position, but when I turned around to retreat, I saw 2,000 people in rubber suits and caps heading into the water behind me - I found that even more intimidating, so I just stayed put. As the start time approached, things got more and more croweded until we were all shoulder-to-shoulder, and gently kicking and elbowing each other as we treaded water. When the cannon went off, we all tried to go from being vertical and tightly packed to horizontal. There was no room! We were all laying on top of one another, thrashing. All I could see was black rubber and white water. The notch in the mountains that I planned to use as my sighting point was obscured by some low clouds. After about 3-400 yards, I finally had a little bit of room - no wonder, I had swum off course into the middle of the rectangle formed by the marker buoys. As I corrected my course, I spotted the underwater steel cable that anchored the buoys. I just swam along that line like it was the stripe on the bottom of the pool. I had LOTS of company trying to maintain that position, and I was constantly nudged and slapped and kicked - but it wasn't anything vicious - just incessant contact. I ended up completing the swim about 10 minutes faster than plan, I think because I was being dribbled like a soccer ball downfield.

image.do

I rode aggressively (for me) on the first of two loops on the bike course. My strong swim had me in the company of some competitive athletes on the first part of the bike leg. There is a six mile descent early in the course; I was wondering what it would be like hurtling down the mountain in a crowd of bikes being ridden by top gun pilots. I just stayed to the right and clenched my bars while coasting, hoping that I didn't get clipped by anyone hurtling past. No incidents, thankfully.

image.do

I was way ahead of plan by then end of the first loop...but I paid for the aggressive start on the second loop. I was a LOT slower, and really struggled on the last 12 miles heading mostly uphill into Lake Placid. On my final approach to the transition area, I rode along side the run course, which was already busy with real athletes.

I was happy to get off the bike, but I was so wiped out that I couldn't imagine how I would do the marathon. Couldn't quit, though - I had made too much emotional/physical/financial investment in this not to see it through. I really had a hard time running - my legs were shot, and I couldn't get my heart rate under control (hitting 160 BPM trying to run at 11-12 min pace.) I was thankful I had done a lot of power walking in my training - I ended up doing a lot more of that than I envisioned. I alternated shuffling and walking for the first half marathon, and mostly walked the second half. I was really struggling at mile 20 - it was dark, getting chilly, and I'd been working for hours and hours. Fortunately, I met up with another guy who was resigned to walking in the rest of the way. We kept each other company and made that last 6 miles quite enjoyable.

As I entered the ice oval, I broke into a run - wanted to create the illusion that I'd actually been doing some of that out on the course ;)

I was glad that the finisher picture got snapped before I stumbled crossing the finish line! It wasn't much of a stumble, but my legs were so weak I couldn't recover, and found myself uncontrollably launching toward a crowd of volunteers. Thankfully, a big guy jumped into my path and snagged me before I plowed into some ladies that were tending to other finishers.

I got my medal, then went off to the medic tent to get an ECG rhythm strip; everything checked out OK!

image.do

A little post-race perspective:

Many of you are probably familiar with the stereotypical Ironman athlete with superhuman speed and endurance. Those folks were certainly there in large numbers. I am NOT one of them. You get a 17 hour time budget to complete the race. If you do the math, you see that you can complete the event at a pretty leisurely pace. Not to say it's easy - you certainly need to be fit and relentlessly stubborn in making forward progress - but it's do-able if you're patient and you train properly. I had a lot of company staggering around out there in the dark with the rest of the "B" team. Slow pace notwithstanding, I found the whole thing very gratifying and I am enormously pround of my effort. I didn't sign up for next year's race (which sold out in 10 hours), but am definitely planning to do another one.

Thanks to all of you who encouraged me along the way - your support and interest means more to me than you know.

Cheers,

Oh my God, you made me cry and I don't even know you! Thank you! What a story. I will think of you during my race Sunday and it will push me on. As a person who has always participated in athletics, I can say without reservation that when you passed those runners while you were biking and said they were the " real athletes" you couldn't have been more wrong. Real athletes are those people who find a place inside themselves to persevere in adversity, continue forward with determination and never quit; not for glory but for what it satisfies within their own hearts and heads.
ROCK ON!
Laura (LLJ)
P.S. I showed my 12 year old son the photo of all the swimmers and he said "Man that's sick!" In case you don't understand 12 year old boys this is a good thing!

BillCobit said:
1.jpg

It was a fantastic day! I got up at 3:45 am to start choking down as much oatmeal and skim milk as I could handle, then went off to the bike corral to get my tires topped off, load up the fluid bottles and stuff the feedbag w/ pita bread.

2.jpg

I wasn't sure how to manage the swim. I got into the water about 6-7 people off the front row on the inside of the course. It occurred to me that I had no biz being in that position, but when I turned around to retreat, I saw 2,000 people in rubber suits and caps heading into the water behind me - I found that even more intimidating, so I just stayed put. As the start time approached, things got more and more croweded until we were all shoulder-to-shoulder, and gently kicking and elbowing each other as we treaded water. When the cannon went off, we all tried to go from being horizontal and tightly packed to vertical. There was no room! We were all laying on top of one another, thrashing. All I could see was black rubber and white water. The notch in the mountains that I planned to use as my sighting point was obscured by some low clouds. After about 3-400 yards, I finally had a little bit of room - no wonder, I had swum off course into the middle of the rectangle formed by the marker buoys. As I corrected my course, I spotted the underwater steel cable underwater that anchored the buoys. I just swam along that line like it was the stripe on the bottom of the pool. I had LOTS of company trying to maintain that position, and I was constantly nudged and slapped and kicked - but it wasn't anything vicious - just incessant contact. I ended up completing the swim about 10 minutes faster than plan, I think because I was being dribbled like a soccer ball downfield.

3.jpg

I rode aggressively (for me) on the first of two loops on the bike course. My strong swim had me in the company of some competitive athletes on the first part of the bike leg. There is a six mile descent early in the course; I was wondering what it would be like hurtling down the mountain in a crowd of bikes being ridden by top gun pilots. I just stayed to the right and clenched my bars while coasting, hoping that I didn't get clipped by anyone hurtling past. No incidents, thankfully.

I was way ahead of plan by then end of the first loop...but I paid for the aggressive start on the second loop. I was a LOT slower, and really struggled on the last 12 miles heading mostly uphill into Lake Placid. On my final approach to the transition area, I rode along side the run course, which was already busy with real athletes.

I was happy to get off the bike, but I was so wiped out that I couldn't imagine how I would do the marathon. Couldn't quit, though - I had made too much emotional/physical/financial investment in this not to see it through. I really had a hard time running - my legs wer shot, and I couldn't get my heart rate under control (hitting 160 BPM trying to run at 11-12 min pace.) I was thankful I had done a lot of power walking in my training - I ended up doing a lot more of that than I envisioned. I alternated shuffling and walking for the first half marathon, and mostly walked the second half. I was really struggling at mile 20 - it was dark, getting chilly, and I'd been working for hours and hours. Fortunately, I met up with another guy who was resigned to walking in the rest of the way. We kept each other company and made that last 6 miles quite enjoyable.

As I entered the ice oval, I broke into a run - wanted to create the illusion that I'd actually been doing some of that out on the course ;)

4.jpg

I was glad that the finisher picture got snapped before I stumbled crossing the finish line! It wasn't much of a stumble, but my legs were so weak I couldn't recover, and found myself uncontrollably launching toward a crowd of volunteers. Thankfully, a big guy jumped into my path and snagged me before I plowed into some ladies that were tending to other finishers.

I got my medal, then went off to the medic tent to get an EKG rhythm strip...everything checked out OK!

5.jpg

A little post-race perspective:

Many of you are probably familiar with the stereotypical Ironman athlete with superhuman speed and endurance. Those folks were certainly there in large numbers. I am NOT one of them. You get a 17 hour time budget to complete the race. If you do the math, you see that you can complete the event at a pretty leisurely pace. Not to say it's easy - you certainly need to be fit and relentlessly stubborn in making forward progress...but it's do-able if you're patient and you train properly. I had a lot of company staggering around out there in the dark with the rest of the "B" team. Slow pace notwithstanding, I found the whole thing very gratifying and I am enormously pround of my effort. I didn't sign up for next year's race (which sold out in 10 hours), but am definitely planning to do another one.

Thanks to all of you who encouraged me along the way - your support and interest means more to me than you know.

Cheers,

Bill,,

Great work and a VR.COM ICON you shall become.

HOw young are you if you do not mind me asking?

thx

Bill,

You are THE MAN!
Thanks for being such an inspiration.

Mark

PS- What kind of bike & aerobars do you have?

What a wonderful experience. We are so very proud of you and you have every right to do as much boasting as you like!

Wow!!!!!!

Wow!!!!!!

You can boast all you want! I think it is just incredible to finish an Ironman. I walked the LA marathon in 95 and the San Francisco in 97 for the Leukemia Society, and I will always remember how elated we were to just FINISH, especially the first one in LA.
I was in British Columbia several years ago when the Ironman Canada was going on, the bikers route was on the road right across the lake from my friends house so we sat out on the deck and watched. We did go to the expo and buy some souveniers, even if we weren't triathletes.

You rock! I'll bet you're sore now!! Take care of yourself!

You make me want to go to the gym right now! I love your story, it is truely an inspiration.

One cool post!!!

I agree with everyone that you are definitely an inspiration. Congratulations on your magnificent accomplishment.

You are amazing! What a feat! Boast away! So inspiring!

Congratulations!

Absolutely awesome!!!

And I thought I was doing so well with my 1.3 miles on the treadmill in rehab!

You should be proud of yourself - we certainly are. I love the photo of you crossing the finish line... what an inspiration!

Thanks for sharing.

Cris

coryp said:
Bill,,

Great work and a VR.COM ICON you shall become.

HOw young are you if you do not mind me asking?

thx

Gettin' close to 50. :eek:

MarkU said:
Bill,

PS- What kind of bike & aerobars do you have?

Mark - I've got a 2001 model year Trek 2000 w/ some Syntace clip ons. Started out using Profile Airstrykes, but they broke after 2 months use :mad: I like the Syntace - much more solid. My bike is not as nice as the current Trek 2000 - mine has cheaper drive train and aluminum fork - newer model has 105 components and a carbon fork. BUT - I've got that all-important 3 ring crank - saved my @** on that bike course!

Fair Dinkum fantastic

Fair Dinkum fantastic

Bill

I watched as many hours of the Tour de France as i could and marvelled at the stamina and endurance of the cyclists doing that cycle route day after day and found true inspiration at their ability to perservere and overcome hardship.

Your truly inspirational account puts their story into perspective. They are professionals who do nohing but train for those events. You however have managed to survive OHS, carry on the business of life (unaided by an entourage no doubt), train and now complete an ironman triathlon - words fail me to aptly descibe how much in awe I am of your accomplishment / achievement.

Your pictures and story are on my wall - but that does not afford them the pride of place they deserve....they are indeliby imprinted in my mind to be used as inspiration.

You are indeed a worthy inductee to the VR.COM legends board.

Congratulations - enjoy your time in the sun.

Russell

BillCobit said:
Gettin' close to 50. :eek:

Mark - I've got a 2001 model year Trek 2000 w/ some Syntace clip ons. Started out using Profile Airstrykes, but they broke after 2 months use :mad: I like the Syntace - much more solid. My bike is not as nice as the current Trek 2000 - mine has cheaper drive train and aluminum fork - newer model has 105 components and a carbon fork. BUT - I've got that all-important 3 ring crank - saved my @** on that bike course!

I've got a new Cannondale R700 with a mix of 105 & Ultegra. Aluminum frame with a carbon fork and seat post. I recently got a set of Profile Design Carbon Stryke aerobars. They are a lot more comfortable than the Profile Century bars that I had previously - really like them so far.
Living in FL, I've only got a two ring crank with a 12-26 cassette in the rear - not too many hills around here, other than going over bridges and interstate overpasses!
Mark

Bill, congratulations! My what a feat and accomplishment. I envy you. Keep up the good work. We are all very proud of you! You're the man !!

!!

Amazing

Amazing

Congratulations Bill, what an accomplishment. You give me so much inspiration.

I'm pre AVR, but my husband read your story and said something to me like when you recover from surgery you can be just like Bill. I swiftly told him not to get any ideas and said perhaps he shouldn't read any more stories, lol. ;) It's difficult at this time to even imagine being post op, but people like you remind me every day that things will be great on the other side.

Melissa

What a story Bill!! Congratulations! You wrote it so descriptively that I could imagine being there. But of course I won't be sore ;)

Great Job!

Latest posts

Back