New to the forum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Erica...

Welcome to the forum and Im glad to hear you have made a choice. Now you can focus on the procedure itself and your recovery. I was told that I was a good candidate for the Ross procedure (42 yrs old, fit, Aortic valve replacement due to stenosis, no other issues) but my surgeon told me he wasn't happy with the long term results of Ross procedures (re-ops) and that he no longer performed them. If a patient was adamant about it, he would refer them to another surgeon. I don't know if you will find many surgeons at the Cleveland Clinic who do perform the Ross procedure at this point but it sounded to me like it wasn't a solution be promoted unless the candidate was a child or adolecent. That is the true target for that procedure. He told me that why should I become a two valve patient when you only need to be a one valve patient. That simple statement made the most sense to me.

Welcome

Welcome

While I don't even pretend to know much about what I have read above, I do know I WAS pretty excited about the RP when I first read of it.After talking to my surg, he said he doesn't recommend it and doesn't really do them any more. I didn't ask why, he's the expert.
I also don't know about the childbearing stuff. (being a guy and all) I just know I don't want to PLAN to have another surg. in 10-15 years. That must be a hard call.
Anyway, welcome:D and now you know why some say "welcome to the ZOO"
I will be getting my AVR in 9 days. Read LOTS of info, ask LOTS of questions, and EXPECT the best for your future. Know that there are lots of prayers going out for you.
SHEEPDOG:rolleyes::)

Welcome to the forum. You will learn so many things from this fine group as I have. Good luck with your venture.

While I don't even pretend to know much about what I have read above, I do know I WAS pretty excited about the RP when I first read of it.After talking to my surg, he said he doesn't recommend it and doesn't really do them any more. I didn't ask why, he's the expert.
I also don't know about the childbearing stuff. (being a guy and all) I just know I don't want to PLAN to have another surg. in 10-15 years. That must be a hard call.
Anyway, welcome:D and now you know why some say "welcome to the ZOO"
I will be getting my AVR in 9 days. Read LOTS of info, ask LOTS of questions, and EXPECT the best for your future. Know that there are lots of prayers going out for you.
SHEEPDOG:rolleyes::)

Good Luck to you Sheepdog... thank you for your kind wishes, I offer you the same.:D

Welcome to the site! Bottom line, if you are considering the Ross, find a GREAT surgeon that does lots of them!!! Dr. Stelzer in NY and Dr. Ryan in Dallas come to mind. I talked to a few surgeon that 'does them', but they didn't do enough of them for me to feel comfortable. Al and Bryan know what they are talking about and have given great advice. I won't try to tell which valve to get...but I am extremely happy with my Ross. There is no valve choice or surgery that can guarantee that there won't be a re-op. I like my chances with the Ross and I wanted to avoid anti-coagulants (as a personal choice). I wish you nothing but the best!!! Research as much as you can and talk to several good surgeons.

Take care!
DA

Latest posts

Back