New to forum, born with BAV, going to the DR. for the 1st time in 22 years...scared!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulschumann

first off I am so relieved to have found this forum, just a couple hours of reading has helped with alot of my worries.

I'm 32 years old and was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. I had angioplasty (baloon) surgery when I was 10 years old (1989), and was back outside playing football and soccer days later. My parents had a nasty divorce a few months after my surgery and of course gave up their good paying jobs and medical coverage and began to focus on their own new personal lives. needless to say my regular checkups went to the back of all our minds and by the time I was 18 and on my own I had also all but forgot about it, especially since the only times I've ever been outta breath was after a mile run through deep snow.

I'm 32 now and havn't seen a doctor for even a broken finger since. I'm healthier than just about anyone I know. I can run, jump, snowboard, wakeboard, paintball, and stay ahead of whoever im with. I eat fairly healthy, or should I say I eat extremely healthy foods (greens, fruits, fish) but also can't resist the mcdonalds a couple times a week. I smoked through my 20's (gave it up) but not habitualy (couple packs a week). still have a few drinks here and there (every week or two). pretty much enjoyed everything life has had to offer in moderation for the last 15 years. Although since I've turned 30 I have become much more health conscious. I should also add that I was a major migraine headache sufferer untill I was approx 20 years old, I still get the lights and blurry vision, just without the pain and vomiting.

A couple months ago I noticed my heartbeat more and more, especially at night while I'm trying to sleep. I can't sleep on my belly because I hear my heart beat throuh the pillow. Every now and then it feels like my heart forgets what it was doing and trips over itself, loses its rythem, and flops around for a second or two. and lately, in the last week or two I'm noticeing an almost tight or uncomfortable feeling in my chest, like how a new pair of shoes feels on your feet. Not painful, but just not right. I don't know if it can be related but I have also have some pain in a couple of joints that wont go away and isn't there for a particular reason, like a bump or a twist.

After several phone calls to hospitals and doctors that seemed like they wanted nothing to do with me because I have no history or records with them. it's funny how health care is like credit, the less you have the harder it is to get it. I finally got into a regular physician with Saint Alexis in Bismarck, ND. so they can refer me to one of their cardiologists. my appointment is for tomorrow.

I know I'm probably going to tell the Dr. more than she can tell me and I'm basically just showing up tomorrow so she can refer me to an actual cardiologist. but either way I'm scared of what may turn up.

Just kind of wondering what kind of advice any of you can offer and what expectations I can have through this over the next few months. whats worst and best case scenarios? and is St. alexis a good place to go for BAV in my area?

paulschumann , a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family we are all brohers and sisters in OHS YES THE WAITING IS THE WORST PART there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

-Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

-what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

-what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

-Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Paul,
Best advice I can think of: write down tonight, before you go, what you want to say.
Prioritize it. Be ready with the top 3.
Take your list with you--one copy for the doc and a 2nd copy for you to have in front of you while you talk.
Good Luck. Tell us how you make out.

Welcome Aboard Paul !

Be sure to mention your irregular heartbeats. That is often a sign of an arrhythmia which can be identified with an EKG (assuming it is present when you are at the Doctor's office). If it is not apparent during your visit, your Doctor may want you to wear a Holter Monitor for 24 hours to capture any 'events'. Most arrhythmias are usually considered to be benign and can be controlled with appropriate medication.

If your BAV has progressed into actual Valve Disease, and surgery is recommended, you may want to think about going to the Mayo Clinic in MN, or at least be sure to find a Surgeon who has experience dealing with BAV and possible Connective Tissue Disorders that are sometimes associated with congentital BAV.

'AL Capshaw'

well I had an EKG, and the doc says for some one with BAV it looks great, and she said I have a murmur, but if I remember correctly I've had a murmur since birth. My blood pressure was 120 over 60, wich according to the Dr. is also great. I'll get the holter monitor next week and an echocardiogram the day after that. hopefully that goes as well and they find a reason for the occasional heartbeat irregularities.

Hey Paul,

I am a 36 year old male from Chicago. I was also born with a BAV that was diagnosed at age 8 and monitored every few years with routine Ecchocardiograms. At my last routine Eccho in September 2010 I was told the valve was getting worse and I would need surgery to replace it in the next year or two. I just had the surgery 1 week ago and I am sitting at home recovering right now. The valve was never symptomatic for me even leading right up to the surgery. It also never prevented me from doing any sort of activities in life. I actually played professional hockey in the minor leagues for 4 seasons after college. Learning how bad my valve actually was was quite a shock because on the outside I felt completely fine.

I am glad you are in the care of doctors now. Good luck with your Eccho. Hopefully you will never need surgery and if you do it will not be for many years. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions...that is what we are here for.

- Hockey Heart

I forgot to add that I agree with Al Capshaw. If you do need surgery or even just a highly qualified second opinion, you should definitely go to the Mayo Clinic. The skill of the surgeon will literally add or subtract many years from your life.

Yes, even though my general introduction to the Dr. and the EKG went well, I'm still nervous about the eccho. Out of curiosity, what percentage of people with BAV can live a normal life without major surgery or valve replacement?

Latest posts

Back