Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nusb22

Hello All:
New to this forum, and am reading as much as I can. Last November (2015) was told I have moderate/severe aortic stenosis. Along with Type II diabetes. Diabetes is under control with meds and diet. My mother had passed away in the mid 80's from aortic stenosis, doc told me it is heredity, I am the only one out of five children to have it, we've all been checked.
Was told I was not a candidate for replacement "yet", not showing any symptoms, so am getting checked every three months. Doc figures within the next two years, I am 57 now. If I remember correctly, the valve opening is down to 1.1 cm. Below a 1 cm, I'll be a candidate. Doc says he'll use the On-X replacement valve, which I've read is real good. Any thoughts?
I have some more reading to do, on pre/post surgery ect...

Welcome to the forum. The folks here are wonderful. I went with a tissue valve but based on what other members have posted, you won't have any problems with mechanical and will be able to avoid another surgery down the roads. Sounds like you are being closely monitored and will be well taken care of when the time comes. Sending positive energy your way.

Hello Nusb22, welcome.

Do read more, ask questions, voice concerns and feelings. You will find most of the members here kind, friendly, and supportive. If you are at a valve area of 1.1, you may be in surgery sooner than later. Three months is a good checkup cycle. You are in what they call here, "the waiting room". It is a good place to wait for surgery. Welcome, and best to you.

Hi Nusb22 - welcome to the forum. I echo what Fred wrote, everyone is very supportive here and you will get lots of information.You have plenty of time to learn about aortic valve replacement and look up the valve your doc thinks you'll get. I was 60 when I had my aortic valve replaced - was in the moderate stenotic range for several years before surgery. I'm diagnosed with diabetes too, atypical Type 2 as I'm not insulin resistant and am skinny - it's well controlled with meds and diet (paleo which is very low carb hence my name !). When anyone has heart surgery, even if they are not diabetic, they get high blood glucose due to the actual operation causing the body severe 'flight/flight response', and they are put on insulin post op for a day or two, so don't be surprised when that happens. The nursing staff will be checking your blood glucose everyday to make sure things are stable post op - you'll be in good hands.

Greetings Nusb22 and welcome. VRO is a font of wisdom and tremendous support. It's definitely the place to be for people with our conditions.

Your current situation seems similar to mine, minus the Type 2 diabetes. I don't have that. But I'm 58 and sitting comfortably in the Waiting Room.

I've spent the last year and a half having a catalogue of tests and being monitored on average about 3-4 months. It felt very much as though replacement for me was a stone's throw ahead.

At my last appointment, in July this year, my cardiologist said she would see me again in one year's time! This was quite a surprise, as I had been expecting her to say we would continue with few monthly checks. She said that unless there was a sudden onset of concerning symptoms – dizziness, severe palpitations and, more urgently, an episode of unconsciousness (she said get in touch 'immediately' if that happened) – then she felt it better to lengthen the period between appointments. She said I could contact her at any time if I had any concerns.

She believes surgery is inevitable but for now further on down the road. I experienced a distinct relief at the news, but also a definite sense of disappointment (strangely enough!). I think my brain had become conditioned for replacement to have been sooner rather than later. Either way, I'm full of deep gratitude for being so expertly advised and monitored (by both her and VRO).

It will be good to follow your journey. Valve Replacement Org is a wonderful living room for us all to sit comfortably in, to eat the occasional slice of cake and chat away on all things replacement. I look forward to viewing your posts. ;-)

Thanks everyone. I've been a non-smoker all my life, which helps too. (always get complimented by techs when getting echo-cardiogram) I am retired military, so always had to keep somewhat in shape (running ect...but have been retired 1 1/2 years now so I've kinda slacked off)Doc says I have a good strong heart, good volume, and everything else looks great. Blood pressure is good, cholesterol little on the high side but doc says I'm within range, and not getting treated. Received the "okay" to start an exercise program, of course with the warning's attached, dizziness shortness of breath ect to be looked out for.
I've been pretty healthy all my life, so I was upset when I was told the news, now I am happy that I know, doc say quality of life is just as good, if not better after surgery. Have heard the "ticking" noise is the biggest complaint on a mechanical valve. But I have tinnitus, so hopefully it'll drown out the ticking :)

Well Nusb, I mowed the lawn after 14 weeks yesterday (so you can imagine how long it was). It felt the same. I can confirm 'no change'. As for the ticking, after a while it becomes a non-issue... and mine is a noisy fokker.

@Again, I live in Arizona, no grass to cut here, and you don't have to shovel the heat in winter time:). I do tire more easy, just figured it was because I was getting older (57), plus I've gained a few pounds since I've retired. so, I'll be anxious to see if new valve helps. I did loose 13 pounds since November 2015, when I was diagnosed type II diabetes.
I've read the post-surgery thread. I've had a few unrelated surgeries in the past. Never had problems with breathing tubes or chatterers. One thing I never thought of, is I guess they deflate the lungs, I can see why, so, that'll be a new experience for me. Of course I was out of it when chatterer was installed. One side story here, last hospital stay, second day there nurse came in to change IV bag, asked here how many I've had so far, see told me That was my fifth bag. I was shocked, told her I haven't needed to "pee" yet. she smiled and told me to lift up my blanket, didn't even realize I had a chatterer. The day came to remove it, I had heard horror stories, but it wasn't that bad coming out

Hi, Nusb22, and welcome to The Waiting Room - the virtual room where many among us await their own turns at valve surgery. I "inhabited" the waiting room for almost 11 years before finally taking the ride into the OR for replacement. It sounds like you are getting a lot of good advice, so I can't add a whole lot more. One thing I can add, though, is that with aortic stenosis they really cannot predict when you will be ready for surgery. The disease does not progress in a linear fashion, so you may be waiting for quite a while. It took my valve many years to progress from 1.1 cm2 down to 0.8, when I had it replaced. During that time I really had no symptoms and no restrictions. I ran, rode a bicycle, did home repairs, worked 50+ hours/week, raised a family, traveled, . . .just had a normal life. Finally when I decided I was tired of being tired, I had my valve replaced. I hit almost all the speed bumps on the road to recovery, but you know what? I'm not 5 1/2 years post-op, and I still do just about anything I want to do. The surgery slowed me down for a bit, but I just kept at it and things settled down. I have a tissue valve, chosen because I was 63 at time of surgery. For me, since my time waiting was so lengthy, the choice of valve was dynamic. Had I been ready for replacement while still in my 50's, I would have opted for a mechanical. Once I got into my 60's, the choice tipped toward tissue. Just keep in mind for yourself that the choice may change as time goes on.

I'm glad you've found us. Stop in often - the folks here are about the most knowledgeable and sharing about heart valve related stuff that I've found anywhere.

Last, but very far from least, a hearty Thank you for your service!"

Thank you epstns, I know what you mean about the "progression" part. I have had no change in the past year, next check up is in December. I am lucky in my case, my sister was a cardiac nurse all of her life (retired now), and my brother has been in medical field all of his life also (admin) He actually ran the Carondelet Health Network of Southeren Arizona for a year, back about ten years ago. Guess I'll be in good hands eh?

Back