new member-thanks to all

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mile high

Hello,

About two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve and enlarged aorta to the arch. I have visited this site ever since then. The surgery in April 2002 was successful. My story is much like many others here. A heart murmur was detected which led to the discovery of the aorta being enlarged and the detection of the bicuspid valve. Physically (besides the constant ticking-yes, a mechanical St. Judes valve) everything is back to normal. The more interesting aspect is the longer term mental part of this whole event.

Certainly getting through the surgery and recovery is a challenge physically. I believe most of us survive it and the longer term spects as to how we view are own lives, families, etc are changed. This is very fascinating part for me.

One comment I do have is that depression is a common side effect of this surgery. Yes I had it and if I had not studied it I may not have understood what was going on with me. More importantly, my cardiac doctor's practice told me before surgery that they had a psychologist who works with heart patients in the event anything like this occurred. This was a recognition on their part that this happens and has been an excellent service to patients in this practice.

My search thru the forums seems to rarely find talk of depression. Maybe I just log on at the wrong times. I hope that this aspect of our common experiences can be highlighted especially to those who are about to under go the surgery and let them know that this can happen, it is ok and there is help available thru doctors and medications.

This site has been a wonderful resource for me and obviously for others. Thanks to all of you and keep up the good work.

Mile High

Welcome, Mile High. You are right about depression being a very common component of the open heart surgery recovery period. There have been many threads and discussions about this but perhaps not so many in the recent past. A use of the search feature should bring some of them up.

It would be a good thing for us to more consistently prepare those undergoing surgery for it's possible appearance. I'm glad you seem to be doing well and hope you spend some time with us on this board.

Hey, haven't seen you for awhile but I remember your other post.

We have often discussed depression - do a search for 'depression' and you will find them. You are so right about it going right along with heart matters - all part of the whole thing, it seems. Thanks for bringing this up. It needs to be brought to the attention of everyone from time to time.

Latest posts

Back