New member /Decision Time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my 2nd avr had been my 1st, the cardiologist and surgeon would've recommended the Ross procedure. But, alas, it was my 2nd, and the cardiologist didn't want me to undergo a 3rd avr, so I had mechanical at 47. I'm with Dave in Spain that my life with porcine was so normal and wonderful that I didn't even think about having a different valve much, only when contemplating the scar, which was minimal. But I got just 11 years with it. Now, after the mechanical, my scar is inches longer and somewhat wider at the top, but I am past caring about people seeing it. I'm kind of proud that I have been thru 2 surgeries and have resumed my life.
I think I will only stop hearing the clicking at night when I have started to lose my hearing in old age.
Or maybe I should sit directly in front of the trumpets in the wind band I perform with and it will happen sooner, Ha Ha!!! So, it all comes down to whether or not you want to deal with a 2nd surgery later, ( and it is harder facing it than you would think, and I am good at handling stress and pain). I think I am a bit more depressed now when thinking about this mechanical valve, but what choice did I have? My every day life has returned to the way it was, exercising, walking the dog, gardening, taking trips,cooking cleaning etc, but I always have this nagging feeling that I am not the same and never will be.
Gail

Nagging Feeling

Nagging Feeling

Forget about it----I e-mail o couple of people who have run marathons with artificial valves.....keep exercising!!!!

Gail - Correct Decision

Gail - Correct Decision

Gail:

I have had some of the thoughts that you have shared . . . about not being the same, and never to be so, but everytime I look at my scar in the mirror, I think about the other option (and I prefer to be here with my son and my wife.)

It gets better!

It gets better!

Gail, I know how you feel about not being the same. Four years ago this month I was in Home Depot looking at lighting with my brother when I dropped like a rock onto the concrete floor. The electrical circutry in my heart completely blocked. Here I am now with a dual pacemaker and a replaced aortic valve, which needs replacement again, that will be my fifth open heart surgery for me. But dispite all that I feel good and remember that each day is a gift. So we have a few mechanical and articifial devices in us-they keep us going. I tell people-I've been dead and it ain't no fun. I'm back playing golf, and getting back into bike riding. I went a period of depression, and thought life would never be the same. Once I accepted that it wouldn't, I realized that change isn't always so bad. So I can't do everything like before, but at 45 it's ok. I just do it differently now. Hang in there!

Scars

Scars

P.S. You should see my scars-One of my surgeries I had 180 stitches! Open heart surgery has come such a long way! My last surgery scar is half what the previous one was. I never used to wear low cut blouses until last year when I met another adult female the same scar. She never let it stand in her way. I liked her attitude.

Proud of who we are.

Proud of who we are.

I still wear the same clothes I always have. And most of them show my scar. It's now part of me and I'm not ashamed of it.

Life is forever changed with a mechanical valve.... but I think it is now matter what valve you choose.

Latest posts

Back