New looking for advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!

Thanks!

Thank you, Aaron! Actually, I'm an engineer - designer of technical products. And I think, that at the age of 25, it is a bit late for me to study medicines. :confused: I don't know, everything happens! :p

Ivo

Hi Roosty ~ I don't know all of the medical jargon that everyone here uses, so i cannot really give you any advice. I'm still waiting to have the percutaneous aortic valve in Cleveland or NYC (if i qualify for it as my doctor said there is very strict criteria including the size of my arteries must be large enough, etc.).

I just wanted to welcome you to the VR site and wish you all the best in the future with your valve problems.

More on me and incredible thanks to the group!

More on me and incredible thanks to the group!

Hi,

Thanks for your posts everyone!!!!!

My Left Ventriclar function is completely normal with a good EF. My degree of AI is graded at mild-moderate, 2+ out of four. I am asyptomatic and my aortic root has been pretty stable 39-40mm in 1996 and 42mm in 2008. I am a non smoker and my systolic bp sits around 130. My aortic Root is fusiform and 39X42mm done by CT angio in 2007. I also have a mild degree of mitral insufficiency with some prolapse that has shown no change over ten years.

I can exercise and feel no symptoms at all. I actually found a click in my heart as a med student in 1991 and a subsequent ECHO showed the bicuspid valve, which to date has only has had psychological consequences for me, not physiological.

My concern is dissection. I am trying to find data that can give me some peace of mind as this would be a disatrous consequence and I already have a bit of an underlying anxiety disorder (inherited from my mother!) so I fixate on the risk of dissection and considering surgery even if its not specifically indicated by the guidelines. I see people who dissect at my stage of root enlargement and I wonder how rare it actually is. I have two cardiologists, and at last echo 2 months ago, one said this valve could last 20 years. The other cardio is a bit more evasive but doesnt think I am anywhere near surgery.

I guess it is the aortic root and risk of dissection that troubles me the most.

If anyone has info or similar experiences I would love to hear. Thanks again to this wonderful group!

Russ

www.dr-russ.com

Hey Bonzo,

I have heard of Phil. I have been a pro comic for 5 years now and as far as I know the only pro comic/MD in my country, Canada.

It is a very fun base to operate from, the audiences sometimes are a little weirded out by it, but I am used to it and I just keep going until they accept that a doctor can be funny and is not afraid to look silly, and is just a regualr human being after all...

Great post and summary Pathfinder.

Are you aware of anyone who had BAV reguritation successfully remidied only with repair of the dialation?

BAV patient, 53

Great post and summary Pathfinder.

Are you aware of anyone who had BAV reguritation successfully remidied only with repair of the dialation?

BAV patient, 53
There's a member here whose surgeon decided she could keep her bicuspid valve when she had her large aneurysm repaired. I'll try to do a search and post a link to some of her experience here.

Followup - Actually I found another member, Eric, in addition to the first I mentioned, Harleygirl528. The info on the repairs was scattered so if you do an advanced search and search each member name and choose a word, such as repair, then at the bottom you can click on posts, which sometimes helps narrow down the results.

Speaking of Harleygirl, anybody know how she is doing?

I'm sure many of us would like to know about her recovery and how she is now.

'AL Capshaw'

Speaking of Harleygirl, anybody know how she is doing?

I'm sure many of us would like to know about her recovery and how she is now...
The last time I read one of her posts, she seemed very active and busy and happy.

Hey Rootsy,
unfortunatly dont have stats on how many of us dissect. i do know that docs dont always know what is wrong but if they exude knowledge we go with them, seems right. i was put on a treadmill with and active type 1 disecction and it ended up running the whole length of my aorta and up into the great vessels. i did well with the surgery and now live with a chronic dissection of my aorta. so i can relate with the dissection question, but i cant answer your concerns on the time frame when to get done. but i can welcome you and hope you can use the info that everyone has given and make an educated decision on your care model. again welcome. mike

Latest posts

Back