new implant for aortic aneurysm spares valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this curious as I seem to be hearing a lot of people in the UK are not being offered valve sparing root reconstruction as opposed to removal of healthy heart (all be it bicuspid) valves just because they are in there fixing the aorta.

I would love to know why this seems to be the norm particularly with younger patients. I’m 45 and opted to keep my healthy bi-cusped valve and was advised to by several surgeons. According to them, this is a very common occurrence with folks having great success with keeping bicuspid valves for a lifetime.

It could be the surgeons' version of extreme caution. They may feel that they should replace the valve "while they're in there" to avoid a possible need to replace it in the future. What they don't consider is that only a relatively small percentage of patients presenting bicuspid aortic valves ever develop problems requiring replacement. IIRC, it is less than 10%.

Back