New Hero!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

This is a hard post for me for many reasons. I recently (proactively) had mitral valve surgery on February 21. It was not easy for me to come to grips with the realization I needed to have the surgery. I knew this despite what my cardiologist was telling me at the time. To get yourself to that point of actually laying there on the bed prior to the surgery is quite an undertaking - as many of you know! Since my surgery, in my mind I have thought of myself as my own hero. (Silly, I know but whatever gets me thru the day!!) :D Well, here's where the story takes a turn. My younger sister (KatieD), who was also aware of her very similar heart condition, decided she would follow in my footsteps and have the same surgery with the same surgeon on June 18. However, due to complications during her surgery she ended up having a stroke-like occurance that caused her to lose most of the use of her right hand and some use of her left hand. She is now back at home recovering but also going to occupational therapy. Throughout this ordeal my sister has been extremely positive and strong with no regrets. Well - myself as my hero was short-lived. Sherri is my new hero!!!

Mary,

I am sorry to hear of Sherri's situation. Is this the first post-op thread regarding her surgery? If I am correct, she is the one with twins? I will pray that she recovers much more but it sounds like she will do well despite any permanent damage. Sometimes still be allowed to be on this earth is happiness enough for someone and any other issues are shoved to the background. We are blessed to know such people.

You are still a hero, too. All of us who go through this (whether we have had or are still facing surgery) are heroes. Facing the OHS "monster" and winning the battle is more than most people have to cope with in their entire lifetime. We all deserve the title.

Please take care and sending love and best wishes to you, your sister and your family.

Mary, so sorry to hear about your sister. I'm glad to hear she has been able to stay positive. She is indeed a hero.

So are you....eveyone who faces the challenges of the journey over the mountain is a hero in my book.

Best wishes to you and your sister.

Gina,
Yes, Sherri is the one from Colorado with the 9 year old twins, boy and girl. One of the things I found out, having just been the one in the bed having had surgery, it really is easier being the one having surgery than worrying about your family member having surgery. Sounds crazy I know, but it's true!

I really feel bad for your sister. What is the prognosis for her getting back the use of her right hand, etc.?

MaryC said:
Gina,
Yes, Sherri is the one from Colorado with the 9 year old twins, boy and girl. One of the things I found out, having just been the one in the bed having had surgery, it really is easier being the one having surgery than worrying about your family member having surgery. Sounds crazy I know, but it's true!
I agree that it is easier to be the patient. We sleep through the surgery, never see the tubes and wires coming out of us (unless others take pictures) and spend the first day or two in a pain killer fog. Yes, there is physical pain but the emotional pain is mostly limited to our loved ones.

Hope things get better.

I am so sorry to hear of your sister's complications. My husband had a stroke in 2000. With time an therapy, he can do everything that he wants to do, but he just must do some things differently. I hope your sister's problems will resolve themselves in a short time.

And, to my mind, you and your sister are both heros.

Kind regards,
Blanche

Hello MaryC,
I also feel that the real "burden" is on our loved ones who have to see us with the tubes, wires, monitors, etc. Which brings me to think that we are the brave ones.....but our loved ones are the heroes.

Oh wow, Mary ... very sorry about Sherri's complications :(.

Thoughts/prayers coming to her ... and, of course, you ... and your entire family.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"My heart is like an open highway" ... Bon Jovi ... 'It's My Life'

I certainly don?t feel like anyone?s hero, but I appreciate the thought. There are so many people on this forum with worse problems than mine that I feel guilty anytime I start feeling sorry for myself.

My heroes, as I?m sure is the same for many here, are my family. My incredible sister, MaryC, and her family who watched over our kids and provided constant support while I went through the surgery. My remarkable husband who spent every single night in my hospital room with me and who has continued to show unbelievable patience even when I?m at my worst. My wonderful kids who help me out in any way I ask and who pray for my recovery nightly. My other brothers and sisters who have called me daily to see how I am.

Oh, and of course there's Dr. Ryan who is probably even taller now in my eyes than in my sister, MaryC's.

I have the comfort of knowing my current situation is temporary. It may have taken a half an hour or more to type out this message left-handed, but someday soon I expect to be back close to my normal speed.

It's a delightful thing to see this love and respect between you two sisters. I have no sisters (but am close with all of my dear sisters-in-law).

And Sherri, hang in there, because the right therapy can do amazing things for your injury; and I hope it quickly and completely resolves. Measure your recovery each week, not each day.

Best wishes to both of you.

Latest posts

Back