Need some advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanjo

Hey everyone, I'm not to sure what to do and I really need some advise. I got a ICD implanted in March my cardiologist told me i will not be able back to work full duty (i'm a cop) because when i shoot my sidearm it MIGHT set the ICD off, he didnt know for sure but suspects it MIGHT go off. Now i spoke with another officer on the same department and his Cardiologist was okay with him going back to work and didn't have any problems in which that officer finished firearms training and it was okay when he shot his firearm. Even we have the same ICD installed in us, Now I'm a little confused one doctor says it ok and another says no good. Now I;'m not sure what to do should a get proof from the ICD factory that the ICD will not go off or should I switch Doctors? Anyone

I'd find out from another Doctor or even contact the ICD manufacterer. Do what ever you must. I can't see firing a sidearm setting it off. Maybe a shotgun, but not a Pistol.

The easy answer is, of course, switch to your friend's cardio. But, I would want the reassurance he is correct and your cardio is not. I'd either consult a third cardio and/or the manufacturer. I tend to think your friend's cardio has it right but it's too important a situation to take a risk with.

Best wishes. Please let us know what you learn about this.

Duncanjo,
That's good news. Now you have a precedent for how your superiors should handle your case, with the other officer that has a similar condition and the SAME device who was able to continue his work in the field. I think the ICD manufacturer is your first contact and maybe it's time you found a doctor that thinks like you.
Best,
John

A department doctor (most Ontario depts have one or more) should be able to tie the two cases together BUT caution that you don't drag your buddy down at the same time .....did you register on the ICD support site I suggested to you ?

welcome.gif

Latest posts

Back