Need positive feedback

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenebug

Hello to all - so good to find this site. I had OHS on 09/05 to replace valve due to aortic stenosis. I am still having a slight cough, but not bad. I'm terribly sore- still !
First return appointment to see surgeon is this coming Monday. My incision is healing very well, but for large busted women, the extra weight really pulls, and a bra is not very comfortable right now- only for short periods of time.
I am finding I really enjoy looking forward to the Lortab at bedtime to ease the soreness of the day. I hope this is not a bad sign. You know folks my age (65) are really not accustomed to taking a lot of pain meds, so it worries me some.
I am able to walk my driveway a couple times without getting out of breath, but I sure do get tired. Hopefully the surgeon will give me some guidelines when I return. I will see my beloved cardiologist on 10/05.
My question is, do I seem about where I need to be or am I just expecting too much too soon. I long for the days when I can mop and sweep and vaccum again ! Just seems I am up 5-6 hours and then need to nap. Is this normal?
God bless you all, and thanks for having such a great site.

It seems to me that you are right on target. You are not even three weeks out from being hit by the OHS bus. As I recall, at three weeks out I was needing naps several hours in length, a pain pill at night, and frustrated that I couldn't do more. I noticed a big difference around five weeks post op and I haven't looked back.
Be patient with yourself...there is lots going on with your body. Keep busy within your present limits and keep plugging away. You will get there...it just takes time.

I agree with Karla, seems like you're right on track. I remember that after 5 weeks from my OHS, I tried to wipe down some counters in my kitchen (no scrubbing, just lightly wiping them down) I felt so sore after doing just that!!!

I also remember sleeping all the time for the first six weeks. Just give it some time, sleeping and rest are what you need right now and remember that everyone heals at a different rate. Listen to what your body needs, you'll be fine!

Rachel

Thank you both so much. I guess it's just hard when your accustomed to being the mom who does it all, to suddenly find yourself having to be waited on hand and foot. I am so blessed that hubby and son have been so good to me.
When you've never been down this road before, you don't know what to expect. Thanks again.

The effort you and your DH and son invest in your healing well now pay huge dividends for the rest of your life. :)
You do not want your sternum to not heal well the first go around because you became impatient and lifted something heavier than you should have. If you need the nap, then go for it. You will see gradual improvement and one day, before you know it, you will realize you have made great progress.

I was astonished the level of exhaustion I felt after my first OHS. Not quite as bad the second.
I healed well from both and almost all of us do.

Don't get discouraged. The rewards are great!!!!

I think everyone's surgery and recovery are very varied. I also had OHS for a AVR on 9/5 ( I am a 63 yr old male). I am taking 2-10 minute walks a day and I have had no pain from the surgery. But the cough has been brutal. I still have a hard time sleeping and I am not able to lay down in the daytime without triggering the cough. I have had periods where I cough on a regular basis for 2-3 hours. So the Dr. has me taking the pain med to help alleviate the coughing. I see the cardiologist on Wednesday and he says he will adress the coughing then. But he wants to make sure all the heart related issues are totally resolved first. Some have posted that the beta blockers can cause excessive coughing. Other than the coughing, I found the surgery pretty easy.

Thank you SCCWS. I am glad someone picked up on the coughing part. You are so correct- it is brutal. I was given a teddy bear named "Sir Cough a Lot" at the hospital, but found him to be too hard against the chest. A pillow works much better. I find myself clearing my throat a lot and wishing I could just cough one time, really hard, to clear it all. Hopefully this pain will ease up soon. I am with you -the pain from the surgery was nothing compared to the coughing pain. I had thought the actual incision would be extremely painful, but such has not been the case.
I appreciate all answers.

I had AVR on 8-9. It is now six weeks out and I am feeling better all the time. My sternum still hurts, though. I think I may be doing too much because I feel almost back to normal except the sternum and chest area. I am walking very strenuously, which is a pleasant surprise because at first, I could barely go half a block and back! When I take deep breaths, it feels like my lungs are hurting but I'm not sure if it is the lungs or the sternum that hurts. It is a pain I can live with however, and I think it is subsiding over time. I too was taking naps quite regularly at first. I'm back at work now so my naps are less frequent (darn it). I did take a nice nap in the sun yesterday afternoon! All these years, I have been missing out on naps! They are great!
Hang in there, the days turn into weeks and you'll be better before you know it!
Sounds like you are doing very well! Isn't it great to be alive?!?

........ I am with you -the pain from the surgery was nothing compared to the coughing pain. I had thought the actual incision would be extremely painful, but such has not been the case.
I appreciate all answers.

Welcome jenebug. "This too shall pass" LOL. I do recall the chest pain...sitting on the side of the bed and coughing against a pillow held tightly against my chest. It didn't take long for that discomfort to go away and I've gotten to a point where I REALLY enjoy a good sneeze.

Dick0236, that's so funny you should mention a good sneeze! LOL I have thought several times lately, about how we take for granted being able to have a good robust throat clearing cough, without the pain.
Dick you quote as "having no dietary restrictions. Did you start off on 2-3 high K foods per week or what? I am presently told to eat only 2 a week. This will be fine until the garden comes in with fresh greens, ec. Then it will be a challenge.

Saw my surgeon today. He put me on Lasix 20 mg qod and 40 mg qod, due to some swelling I'm still having. He said I was looking great, and that I could now drive!!!! That's sounded good, but can you imagine being behind the wheel, when an impromptu coughing spell hits? "OK, would you please hold the wheel while I hug this pillow for a second?"
Just don't think I'm gona try that this week. LOL
Weight was pretty well back to normal. I am not a salt lover, and we don't eat a lot of processed/canned foods around here, so I guess it's just the hangover from the surgery.
God bless you all and thanks for all the answers. They are all so informative and helpful to a newby.

Dick you quote as "having no dietary restrictions. Did you start off on 2-3 high K foods per week or what? I am presently told to eat only 2 a week. This will be fine until the garden comes in with fresh greens, ec. Then it will be a challenge.

I honestly did not know about vit K effect on INR until 15 to 20 years after surgery. As far as I can remember I did not consider vit K at all until, maybe, 15 years ago.....when I saw a vit K food "list" at the INR clinic I was visiting. I now pay a little attention to my vit K consumption, but not a lot. I use diet to make small INR adjustments and am careful not to binge on a food hi in vit K, but I proabably would not limit myself to a certain amount per week. It's a trial and error deal with me.....if my INR is a little low, I eat a little less vit K and if it is hi I eat a little more. It is something that you'll get used to. The idea of limiting the amount to 2-3 times may be good until you figure out how your body responds.

Maybe limiting it while you are healing is ok - you'll probably find your dosage increases as you heal and get more active.
However, after about 2-3 months you need to get back to your regular diet and then dose the diet, don't diet the dose. You may find you have seasonal fluctuations in your dosage based upon dietary changes, and even how much K is in your regular diet. I swear my diet is pretty consistent year round, but the K in the cabbage/kale/spinach/brussels sprouts I eat fluctuates in early summer, then again in the autumn, and my dosage has to adjust to it.

Coughing: have you tried giving yourself a really good firm hug when you cough without the pillow? I don't recall having any coughing, but I did thing action when I sneezed.

Thank you Agility, Dick and Freddie for the good answers. I am just now gettin to where I can cough without the pillow- heavenly. Glad to know the dosage is not carved in stone. So I gather that having to adjust it occassionally is somewhat expected by INR staff (?).Good to know, as when I went in second time and it had increased from 5.2 to 5.4, they both looked like they were gona stroke out! LOL

To add to Dick's comments about vitamin K, you really only need to be concerned about a few very dark green, leafy vegatable. Common lettuce varieties (butter, iceberg. romaine) are low in vitamin K and can be eaten in variable quantities with no significant effect on INR. Take a look at this list and pay attention to the foods that provide more than 100-200 mcg of vitmnain K per serving and note the serving sizes (a HEAD of lettuce is less than 200 mcg). So, spinanch (in some forms more than others), kale, collard greens, and a few other "greens" are the only ones I pay any attention to, but beyond that my diet is totally variable.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17w430.pdf

Latest posts

Back