Need info on Duke

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tlock60

Hi everyone,

Just had a couple of questions. My husband is getting ready to have his aortic valve replacemnet done on the 2nd of april. Just wanted to know if anyone here has been there recently and will they let me stay with him once he gets out of icu? We live in Galax virginia and it is 2 hour drive for us each way. And there is just noway I am leaving him there. I would go nuts that far away...LOL. So will they? Or should I plan on getting a room for a few days.

Thanks,
Terry

Hi Terry,

I had a Mitral Valve Replacement done on 2-13-04 at Duke. I live about 80 miles from Durham and I work for a well known teaching institute in Winston-Salem. I was not satisfied with the care I was getting here thus, I went to Duke because I have a brother who is a Medical Director there.

Upon my initial visit, I knew I had made the right choice. I was in surgery less than 2 weeks later. My Cardiothorasic surgeon (Dr. Glower) was great. I was very pleased with his knowledge of what was going on with me and his ratings in the procedure that he performed on me. I had the Minimally invasive heart surgery, spent 24 hours in ICU, 4 days more in a step down unit and then came home. I was very pleased with my care and would advise anyone to go to Duke.

Good luck and if you have any more questions please ask.

My husband just left Duke one
week ago today, You can stay once he gets into a step down, I booked a room for the night of surgery as you can not stay in ICU after 9 pm. There is a place across the street that you can walk to or they run a shuttle back and forth. The ICU lets you call as much as you want to check on him and it was so nice to have somewhere to go after a LONG day!!! Not to mention getting some sleep. You will get none while you stay in his room. I will look up the name of the hotel and post back.

Hey Im not a rookie anymore!! Now if I could just figure out how to get the smileys in my post !!!!!

I just noticed that I am not a rookie anymore either.

I was just looking in my BIG Duke Heart Center Resource Guide that I was given the day before surgery. It is very resourceful. I had to go down there the morning of the day before my surgery for a Cardiac Cath and did not want to drive back home because I was a first case that Friday morning. I just wanted a quiet evening so my brother reserved a room at the Millenium Hotel which is about 1 mile from the hospital. It's a straight shot around the corner. The number there is 919-385-8575.

Also, The Washington Duke Inn is located on Duke's campus and has a shuttle. 919-490-0999

Brookwood Inn is within walking distance. 919-286-3111.

Hope these help.

Terry, The name of the hotel is the Brookwood Inn. Phone # is 919 286-3111. Be sure to ask for the Duke hspital rate. It is very close to the hospital and was clean and comfortable. The have a snack bar to get coffee in the morning. Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the good infomation and phone numbers. Now we just sit a wait untill it's time to go. I'll let everyone kinow how it went.

Thanks again,

Terry

My Goodness.. I have been away for a few weeks on a terrific vacation and when I got back..what did I find..3 new North Carolina posts..WELCOME :)
I had a AVR and tripple By pass in September 2001 done at Duke by Dr Glower.I have a St Jude Toronto Stentless Porcine valve.
The surgery went far easier than I had expected..and I am a total wimp.I am much older than you guys ..I was 70 at the time of surgery..so it probably took me a bit longer to recover. I had no problems with memory..I did and still do have some visual problems that started in the ICU...they aren't to bad..and if that's the worst..I am happy and can easily deal with them.
I just moved to Wake Forest from North Raleigh. It looks like we can soon have our own Duke patient convention.
If I can be of any help..please email me and I will send you my phone number :)
[email protected]

Joan,

It's good to know there are so many people pleased with Dr Glower. I think he is wonderful.

Another Dukie here, and just a pup (5 days post-op). If you're chosing your hospital based on how good the food is I might look elsewhere. If you're choosing your hospital based on how good the medical care is, I can't think of a better place to go than Duke. I chose Dr. Jaggers because I had a congenital VSD that needed repairing and I wanted the Ross Procedure (and he's the congenital and Ross expert), but I have heard nothing but great things about Dr. Glower as well. My sister stayed with me until 9PM the night I was in ICU and then had to leave. Anyone could stay in the step-down unit overnight (my mom stayed Thurs and Fri). Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Bryan
We were in the hospital at the same time. I had my surgery on Fri the 13. I was moved out of ICU Saturday afternoon to the step down unit. You were probably being moved to the step down when I was being discharged on Wed.

This is great

This is great

I am so happy also to see all these people who have had their surgerys done at Duke. We live in Galax Virginia and it is a 2 hour drive for us so knowing they will let me stay with him after icu makes me feel better. We have seen meet with Dr Glower already and yes he is very nice man. Does anyone think that Dr.Glower looks like Dr.Green on E.R......LOL. I tell you what when he came into the room to talk to my husband the first thing I thought was oh wow it's Dr.Green from E.R.....Ha Ha.Then I thought I really like this guy. Iknow it's crazy but what can I say.
But anyway thanks again to you all and I hope everything is going alright for anyone. Thanks for all the good thoughts it really helps.

Thanks again,
Terry

Re: This is great

Re: This is great

Tlock60 said:
I am so happy also to see all these people who have had their surgerys done at Duke. We live in Galax Virginia and it is a 2 hour drive for us so knowing they will let me stay with him after icu makes me feel better. We have seen meet with Dr Glower already and yes he is very nice man. Does anyone think that Dr.Glower looks like Dr.Green on E.R......LOL. I tell you what when he came into the room to talk to my husband the first thing I thought was oh wow it's Dr.Green from E.R.....Ha Ha.Then I thought I really like this guy. Iknow it's crazy but what can I say.
But anyway thanks again to you all and I hope everything is going alright for anyone. Thanks for all the good thoughts it really helps.

Thanks again,
Terry

Cutie,

I didn't get moved to the step-down unit until Thursday morning around 10AM, so we probably missed each other by almost a whole day. I remembered when I got to the step-down unit I marveled at how anyone can walk at all much less that fast without a walker. 2 days later I was the guy walking fast without the walker.

Terry,

I had my surgery at Duke by Dr. Glower as well. I think he is an excellent doctor and very easy to talk to. I am quite sure you will be very satisfied with your choices of facility and doctor.

Back