National Wear Red Day is tomorrow, February 6, 2009

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanche

Happy to be here
Supporting Member
From an American Heart Association email....

"Tomorrow, February 6 is national Wear Red Day. It's the day to wear your favorite red clothes or accessory--a red blouse, a red dress pin, a fabulous red handbag--put on red lipstick, or sport a red tie and red socks...Go red in your own fashion to show your support for women and the fight against heart disease.

Through your support, we have made a significant impact around the issue of women and heart disease. In the last six years we have raised awareness of the fact that heartdisease is the NUMBER ONE KILLER OF WOMEN. However, our work is not done. THere are still too many women who are not aware of this disease and the actions they can take to reduce their risk."

For more information, please go American Heart Association web site.

Kind regards to all,
Blanche

I had a cardio appointment around Wear Red Day two years ago and I brought the girls in his office and my cardio small, red enamel heart lapel pins. They got a kick out of them and put them on. Every time I have seen my cardio since, he has the pin on his white coat. I'll wear my pin tomorrow.

I will be wearing red tomorrow and I just reminded my kids to wear it too! My son (he's 31) thought I wanted him to wear red tomorrow for the Ohio State Buckeyes (my favorite football team)! He didn't believe that it was for National Wear Red Day until I showed him the American Heart Association website! Have a great day tomorrow all!!

diana

Thanks for posting the reminder. I have my pin and my red outfit for tomorrow all picked out to wear to work. My husband wears his pin every day.

Sometimes, when we think of heart problems we don't think of children.

Sometimes, when we think of heart problems we don't think of children.

Perhaps we should have an awareness day for Children and Heart disease. Actually, now that I think of it, most people who are not involved in children and their medical problems do not think about heart disease and young ones.

Perhaps we should suggest this to the American Heart Association. It certainly might have an impact on information and understanding of children who have heart concerns. I had not thought of that before. The "Wear Red for Women Day" is relatively new..about 6 years I believe.

Seems to me that it's time to have another day dedicated to children and young people.

Anyone here like to take the lead on checking this out? I can't be the point person, but I would offer my help.

Blanche

Perhaps we should have an awareness day for Children and Heart disease.

There is a day. Congenital Heart Awareness day is Feb 14th.

Perhaps we should suggest this to the American Heart Association.

Actually, the American Heart Association focuses mainly on acquired heart disease.....they do very little for congenital heart disease. They are trying to get more involved with CHD though. The focus of our local annual AHA heart walk this past fall was on CHD.

~Diane

This is true, but lets let the women have there day. We men can go drink, fart, and scratch ourselves in our own thread. :D

Amen .... DW reminded me to wear red today and I will .... she's off to work sporting red, red ,red with a heart shaped pendant .... special day for special people, women:)

I did not realize today we were to wear red. I am ready for work, but guess what I have on, yep, a red top! I would have changed after I read this post.

Perhaps we should have an awareness day for Children and Heart disease. Actually, now that I think of it, most people who are not involved in children and their medical problems do not think about heart disease and young ones.

Perhaps we should suggest this to the American Heart Association. It certainly might have an impact on information and understanding of children who have heart concerns. I had not thought of that before. The "Wear Red for Women Day" is relatively new..about 6 years I believe.

Seems to me that it's time to have another day dedicated to children and young people.

Anyone here like to take the lead on checking this out? I can't be the point person, but I would offer my help.

Blanche

Actually Feb 14th is CHD Awareness day (technically the week of 7-14) (It was started by our very own Jeanne Imp, Matt's Mom ) Saddly the AHA worked VERY hard to BLOCK it and used their lobbiest to kill the bill MY congressman was working on because of Justin. We also send thousand of pettions to Pres Bush to make it a National day (like it is in many countires) but the AHA blocked that too. I believe they didn't want to take any focus/money away from the red dress day (which came AFTER CHD Day) THAT being said, I have heard some AHA are starting to if not actually Help the children at least they are working so hard against us. Sadly they tend to get heart families very involved in their ads and walks but then nationally give less than 1 % of their budget to CHD research.

BUT also having a Mom who had a CABG I appreciate the work they do for that.

Here is the info if anyone would like to write to their politicians. http://tchin.org/aware/ This year we are not working on the bill,(it did not pass the last 3 years) but hopefully next year we will try

ps the stat that always amazes people is twice as many children die from CHD as ALL forms of Pediatric cancers combined, yet funding for ped cancer is 5 times that as CHD funding.

I've got my red on. I gave my students 10 points extra credit for wearing red, too. :D

I also heard that Macy's department store is giving something like a 20% discount today to anyone who is wearing red. Good excuse to go shopping...?

Back