Nasal flaring

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerfirmie

Hi. My daughter had OHS 3 days ago. Her oxygen is good, her lungs look good and her heart rate is good. However, her nostrils flare while she is breathing. She says she is not having any pain. The ICU doctor says he is not concerned because she looks good. But I am still worried. Any ideas?

I'd think nostrils flaring would be a sign of taking deep breaths via the nose rather than the mouth. Unless she is having trouble taking breaths via the mouth, I'd say its a good sign that she is deep breathing as needed. It could be that her throat hurts when she breaths through the mouth though, requiring the deep breaths with the nose.

Could it just be habit she is developing? My step son did some odd things for a couple days (weeks?), and then it settled down. Keep an eye on her, see if there are any patterns (does she do it when she's asleep?) Is it a conscious behaviour or unconsious? Could it just be that she is finally getting some nice satisfying deep breaths compared to pre-surgery, or she is analysing how deep breaths make her sternum feel? OR as the PP mentionned, her throat hurts when she breathes through her mouth? I know My step son's throat hurt for a week or so after his surgery, maybe more.

By the way, I am glad that she everything seems to be going well. Please keep us updated on her progress.

IMO if her oxygen levels are fine, and her lungs are fine, if there is some nostril flaring it probably isn't anything to worry about. She's 3 days out, it's remarkable..and strange at some of the things the body does after surgery, in her case maybe it's the flaring of her nostrils.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but I see that the ICU doctor doesn't seem concerned, is your daughter old enough to speak and if so, has she had any complaints on the issue? I know when I was in the hospital my mom was concerned about a thing or 2 and was constantly asking the doctor, I kept telling her I was fine, but she kept insisting " yeah but what if", I told her we'd cross that bridge if we got there, irrelevant I know.

Hope everything continues to go well for your daughter, and don't sweat the small stuff, it's an interesting ride after surgery. Kind of like driving your car through the eyes of Hunter S. Thompson, but stranger :)

Latest posts

Back