NASA Heart Monitor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bill Hall

Noticed this in the NASA tech briefs. "To find how changes in heart rhythm can affect an astronaut's health, NASA's John Glenn Research Center (Cleveland) has teamed with the MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland to develop a method for doctors to monitor astronaut's hearts in space. The technology also could help the care of thousands of patients on Earth who suffer from cardiac arrhythmias (variations in heart rhythms) that can lead to heart attacks.
Bill

I bought my Timex Marathon heart rate monitor on sale for $39.95. I wonder what the NASA version is going to cost?

Mark ;)

Ummm... What exactly are they trying to do????

All the guys on the Apollo missions were wired up for real-time ECG's for the entire duration of their flights (with the exception of Apollo 13 which I gather chose to be disconnected from the system...)

As is my understanding at least.

When I was at CCF I was wired up the entire time. It was a wireless monitor that went wherever I went though I don't think they could follow my readings if I went off the floor.

Same was true in cardiac rehab. I would think the only change they'd need to make for those systems was to add a relay/signal booster to accomidate the long distances the signal would have to travel to get from the rocket ship to mission control....

But then again, this is the high frontier of science, any excuse we can find to throw more money at the problem is a good one..... :D

My husband had a wireless monitor when he had his AVR also. One day I was going to help him take a shower and we removed it. We had four nurses in our room within 1 minute. They just laughed and said to please let them know the next time I removed it for any reason.

Latest posts

Back