Nancy, how's Joe?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Karlynn

How is Joe doing? I was gone for 5 days and had many posts to sift through, so if you've posted about him recently, I apologize. But I have been wondering how he is feeling.

He's coming along, but is still very weak and fatigued. The combination of problems he had just knocked the starch out of him. He's still on Cipro from the bacterial infection, and his doctor is working at getting his INR into the higher range (3.5-4.0), which isn't easy because of all of his meds, but it has to be done. He cannot afford to throw any more clots.

His gout is getting better. His weight is doing well, no CHF and no edema.

Some of his bloodwork is doing very well. He went to the hematologist yesterday, and his bloodcount is good, and his platelets are excellent, actually the highest in a long time. So things are doing well there.

The kidney function is dicey. But that's the way it always is. It's such a balancing act between getting rid of fluid and keeping his kidneys happy.

His heart rate is still fast, 100 or close to it either way. He was put on Cardizem in the hospital for aflutter of 120 or so. So 100 is an improvement, but I believe his docs would prefer a lower rate.
%0

He'll be seeing his cardiologist next week, and the Infectious disease doc toward the end of Oct., just to make sure the bacterial infection is gone.

So it will be another long and slow recovery. That's OK, as long as it keeps going in the right direction.

He's got so many medical appts. It's hard to believe, one a day so far, and in some cases, two. We are so sick of them. It takes up the whole day, and is exhausting for Joe. But that's the way it has to be for now.

Many wishes for a continued recovery for Joe, it can be so scary. Love the pup

Dear Nancy:

About all I can say, is God Bless you both. You've had some incredible battles.

I do have a question Nancy. How do you know when his kidney's aren't happy? vs. the fluid.

Marybeth

He has many BMP (Basic Metabolic Profiles) done, and kidney function disturbances show up when BUN and creatinine levels are abnormal. The test also checks out liver function and many other things. He has had at least two, maybe three since he got out of the hospital. And has to have them once a month for the Tracleer he takes, since it can cause liver problems and has to be monitored.

All of his doctors know that his kidneys run close to failure much of the time, so he gets that checked out a lot, and actually has a standing order at the hospital lab.

Nancy:

If only GIJanet could bottle up some of her Katie's energy and ship it to Joe ... and then send the rest of us some, too!

Take care of yourself in addition to watching over Joe's health.

Nancy,
Thanks for filling us in. I will certainly be praying that things continue to go in the right direction.

And once again, your attitude and how you choose to look at your circumstances is a great lesson for all of us. God bless!

What's the old adage - there but for the grace of God go I. This is the first time Nancy that I've heard all about Joe's ailments. I find it incredible that he can function at all. And here I am complaining about me.

I actually think I made some progress today, but I don't want to be gloating when so many others are struggling. So I am just going to offer my best wishes for your Joe to keep getting some more positive numbers, positive test results - and hopefully some day, and make it soon, that he will be feeling like a human being again. And Nancy - you've been a good friend here for me with all of your knowledge and advice. I think for many of us, it's like trying to navigate through a minefield.
PROST
DB

Most here have never heard the half of Joe's medical problems. He has an astounding medical history which can confound many doctors. He's a very, very determined and strong guy. And he has a strong will to live. Much of this I attribute to his having played several competitive sports as a young man, some semi-professional and some professional. It's his nature to be aggressive and competitive, and not to give in to weakness or pain.

He was also one of the toughest managers at the very large company where he worked.

I guess all here must have that kind of determination. It takes an awful lot to go through all these things and keep it all going.

My hat's off to all of you!

OK, DB--how about sharing some good news about yourself. What progress were you referring to? Do tell! :)

Nancy, you take too little credit for Joe's determination to live. A good part of it has to be the wonderful relationship the two of you have and the excellent care you have given him through all his trials and tribulations! :) How many years is it for you? Dick and I will celebrate our 41st in March.

pgruskin said:
Nancy, you take too little credit for Joe's determination to live. A good part of it has to be the wonderful relationship the two of you have and the excellent care you have given him through all his trials and tribulations! :) How many years is it for you? Dick and I will celebrate our 41st in March.
Shhh, don't tell her that or she'll figure out that we are on to her. :)

Just before I came into this thread, I wondered how long you and Joe have been here and I said to myself - it's about 4 yrs - right on---- I remember your first post. And in those 4+ yrs, the things you have been through, wow.

Glad Joe is coming around. He's a real toughie, but he managed it because of the both of you, you know that. Give him best wishes.

Nancy - Its always good to hear that Joe is still struggling along. He is a real fighter and true tough guy. Of course, it is easy to see that you pull him through the tough times. He is very lucky to have you.
Bill

Nancy said:
OK, DB--how about sharing some good news about yourself. What progress were you referring to? Do tell! :)

Ok - throughout all of this, I've been back working part time (I retired on Jan 1). Mostly a desk job, I am usually ok with a fan blowing on me to help me catch my breath. But walking the hallways is VERY tough - in the last week, I've taken to using one of those metal arm crutches to help. It gives me something to lean on every 100 feet or so.

Well anyway, I've also been visiting the health services every few days to take my BP and also check my O2 sat. I saw significant drop in bp today = 130/54. The systolic is down 30 pts. My resting heartrate was 60. AND my O2 is UP from last week. Sitting at rest, and breathing kind of normal, maybe just a little strong, I easily got to 95. Stood up and marched in place and it dropped only down to 92. CAme home and decided I wanted to take the dogs for a walk - I wasn't running a marathon mind you, but my wife and I covered about 1 1/4 miles. Took me an hour - HA. But - I really haven't felt this good since I left the hospital. (Mind you, I don't feel great, but I DO feel better than say even yesterday.) I think the weight loss is starting to help AND the bp drop is allowing the heart to not have to work so hard. This evening, while watching some tv, I could tell my breathing is not as labored.

I am down 22 lbs now since Aug 1. I have another 50 to go, but I will get there, because I have no choice in the matter. Who knows .... I might actually get my symptoms to go away ... and then just keep an eye (or echo) on my AI to see if it stabilizes or I guess I could still be heading for the surgery sometime down the road.
So that's my good news Nancy. Finally - a bit of progress.
DB

An idmirable couple!

An idmirable couple!

Hi Nancy, just want you to know that I continue to keep Joe and you in my prayers and hope things improve from now on. He's home, and that's a good sign!!! I've always admired the two ofyou so much for your strength and determination! I wish you many more years together!! God bless you!!
Débora

DB-

Sounds like things are heading in the right direction for you. What a relief. That's very good news.

Joe was a track person in high school, sprinting mostly. He and his brothers were very fast runners. He also played football, basketball and baseball, later playing for a time professionally in the baseball minor leagues, then when he got older, he played semi-professional football on the weekends. He also continued to play basketball in a local men's league. He's always been interested in exercise, and even now when he's feeling better, he'll be back on the treadmill and light weights.

Nancy:

It was interesting to see your first post -- and what vr.com looked like back then!

Der BiermeisterI am down 22 lbs now since Aug 1. I have another 50 to go said:
DB: YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'll get there because you have a very real, vested interest in doing so.
It's easier for me to control my weight eating at home. Going out to restaurants is another matter.
Best way to restrain/control yourself when eating out is to know ahead of time what the menu is. Decide before you go what you will order. Order first; don't let others' choices sway you into overdoing it. I often order soup & salad or an appetizer & salad. No dessert unless it's fresh fruit or apple pie (I eat the cooked slices).
I often drink a glass of skim milk or eat an apple or a snack-size bag of 94% fat-free popcorn before going out to eat, if I'm getting pretty hungry. That keeps me from ordering too much.
These are also good suggestions before a special occasion -- wedding reception, Thanksgiving/Christmas/holiday dinner, family reunion, etc.

Nancy,

Nancy,

Glad to hear that Joe is on the mend. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Marsha, you have more willpower than I when it comes to eating! I always love to be starving when I go out to a restaurant as then I will be able to eat a lot (pig out in other words)! :) I try to watch what I eat around the house, though, so going out to eat is a treat, and I don't do it that often anyway.

I have lost 10 pounds now of my post surgery weight gain, and have about five more pounds to go to be an ideal weight for my body frame. These last five pounds are being pretty stubborn. Maybe I should try eating that bag of no-fat popcorn...

Christina L.

Back