My ticking don't sound right

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanjo

Just checking with the mechanical valve owners out there. It?s been 6 months now since my replacement with my mech valve. Everything going well, except for the last 3 days. I?ve heard my valve tick, tick, tick, t-i-c-k, tick, tick, t-i-c-k, tick sounds like it takes a little longer to tick than usual, its been happening 20-30 times a day. Nothin really changed in my diet, except bottle of wine on Saturday, INR fine @ 2.7. Don?t know what to think? Any feed anyone??

Joe
Mech valve replace April/08

If it sounds accoustically different to you, perhaps you should have your Cardio have a listen. It's probably nothing, but anytime there is a change in the sound, it should be looked into.

Hi, sounds like it could have been a few PVCs (Premature Ventricular Contractions), which when they happen would produce a prolonged break between ticks and maybe also a more substantial closure of the valve leaflets. PVCs are in most cases benign and to my knowledge quite common among valvers.

Great idea Ross! My Cardio is a 4 hr drive away and theres a 2 month waiting
period to see him..LOL

If it sounds accoustically different to you, perhaps you should have your Cardio have a listen. It's probably nothing, but anytime there is a change in the sound, it should be looked into.

You could also call your primary care physician and have him listen to it. They know about heart stuff too, just not in the same depth as the card. But I would think they could spot something very abnormal, and could even run an EKG on you while you are at their office.

Random factoid: Studies have proven you're much more likely to have atrial fibrillation the day(s) after drinking. I think the same is true for PVC's.

I read somewhere that up to 60% of swing shift workers experience PVC's.

I agree with Ross and Nancy, have a Doctor Listen to your Heart and get an EKG.

My Engineering Mind tells me that any time there is an audible change, there HAS to be a reason for it.

It was not clear to me if t-i-c-k meant that the 'tick' was prolonged or if it was just delayed in coming. If the latter, there is a good chance it is a PAC or PVC which are usually benign. If they become bothersome or cause weakness or shortness of breath, there are medications that can help (typically Beta Blockers).

Bottom Line: Check it Out.

Latest posts

Back