My Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burt

Hello to everyone, I have visited this site many times and have decided to tell my story.
I live in Breckenridge Co at 9,000ft I work at a ski area that has a base of 10,000ft and proceeds up to 13,00ft. I ski over 200 days a season. I am a professional skier, instructor, director of a ski school and examiner fro Professional Ski Instructors of America. My life and sole profession has been skiing since 1982. When I am not skiing I am a die hard road cyclist riding everyday possible and completing 4 centuries a year in our short summers June- September. I am also in the gym 3 days a week lifting. My livelihood depends on a fit body
In may 2011 I was diagnosed with BAV with sever stenosis and an enlarged aorta of 5cm. The day before diagnosis I was hiking at above 13,00ft dropping into coulliers of a width of 25 to 30 ft from a 10-15ft cornice and a pitch of 40%. I have never experienced any symptoms my entire life
My cardiologist informed I needed to stop all activity and have surgery.
On June 21 2011. I became part pig and had a porcine vale put in. I biological valve was a no brainer for me. I knew I could not keep my lifestyle or profession on blood thinners the risk would be to great. I know a second and hopefully third surgery are in my future but I refuse to change who I am.
I am happy to say I now live the exact same life as I did before surgery.
This experience has taught me that life, who, what and why you are, are much to precocious for compromises.
I appreciate all that everyone has been through and hope that everyone can fulfill their dreams.

Burt Skall
Three years into a life that will always be amazing.
I have the best office in the world! Arapahoebasin.com

Dear Burt,

I am so happy that you have overcome your unexpected diagnosis and subsequent heart valve surgery. You sound very positive and that is encouraging to someone who has not had the surgery yet.

Continue to live your dreams. You are an inspiration.

Dear Burt:
You are extremely fortunate! May it always be so.
I can't help but wonder what your numbers were when the doc said whoa, get thee to surgery?
Be well, McBon

Hi Burt -

I love your enthusiasm and positive energy!

My husband is looking into cow valves now, on the advice of our surgeon. Apparently the latest trends in valve repair and replacement are arthroscopic in nature. In his opinion, by the time these cow/pig valves are due to be replaced, the procedure will be minimally invasive. That sounds reasonable to me based on the studies I have read online.

Thanks for sharing your story!

--Trudy

It's kinda funny when you talk to people about having a new Aortic valve and it being a "cow" valve, I think most people think it came directly out of the cow when in fact if you have seen one it's plastic (or some synthetic material) and then the leaflets are from the cow stomach material. The Edwards website has good photos of them.

What a great, inspiring story, Burt! Thanks for sharing. Continue living your dreams, as so many of us do also, in our various ways. :thumbup:

I oink also -- been porcine for goin'on 10 years now. Don't ski, but keeping up with all my grandkids' baseball, soccer, basketball, gymnastic, and football practices -- along with doing some other workouts on my own -- keeps me pretty active.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back