My Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long?

How long?

Hi Tim
I am six weeks out from my VR surgery and am beginning to feel good. Still cant lift over 20# and need a nap every day but all in all I am doing well. Age 68. Expect full recovery by ten to twelve weeks. As far as coumadin goes it is cheap and not a problem. Even the monthly checks are easy. My nurse has this little spring loaded thing and it sticks me in the finger so quickly I dont have time to be a chicken. The type of valve is up to you and your surgeon. Do your literature search before taking to him. Best of luck, you are at the correct place.
Bob

Typical surgery time

Typical surgery time

Hi Tim - Typically it takes about four hours for surgery, but this can vary a lot depending what they find and what they do. Most of this time is in the getting ready process, as there is a lot to do to get you to the point where the surgeon can actually do what he is supposed to do. If you really want to know the details, send me a private message. If not, and most people don't want to know, and don't need to know, then feel secure in knowing that this is a commonly perfomed type of surgery, and has been perfected by repetition. The risk level is low, and you will feel a whole lot better after recovery than you feel now. You will be in intensive care with your very own nurse for at least a day, but unfortunately, you'll be asleep most of the time. You'll move out of IC usually the 2nd or 3rd day, and thats also about the time you will start to get out of bed and start walking. The more of this you do, the faster you get to go home and continue the recovery process. Hope this helps. You'll do fine, and we'll all be thinking about you. Chris

Latest posts

Back