My latest Echocardiogram ------- What do these numbers tell you guys??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxx

Some of you may remember me from a few years back, I was the anxiety ridden guy that thought the sky was going to fall any minute.

Since then, I have my anxiety and nerves 90% under control, and after hanging around here and reading all of your stories, and seeing how well many of you are doing post-surgery, I am not nearly as scared as I once was of the possibility of future intervention.

At any rate, this is the result of my latest Echo, and I am mainly posting this for those of you with much more knowledge, education, and wisdom on this to peek at and compare to your numbers in the past. At this moment, I am not on any treatment, so I know that I don't need anything done at this moment, and I also know the future is hard to predict, but I just wanted to see how my numbers compare with those of you who perhaps once had numbers like mine at one time (of course everyone is different, I do realize)

Me: Age 33, Male, 5'11, 188 lbs (I don't have a clue what 80% of these are)

RVIDd- 2.5
IVSd- 1.1
LVIDd- 4.6
PWDd- 1.0
LVIDs- 3.1
MV excursion- 2.3
EF slope- 121
Aortic Root- 3.7
ACS- 2.5
LA- 3.2
EF%- 55-60%
AV Max Vel- 1.7
LVOT. VEL- 1.03
Aortic Valve Area- 2.30
MV E Vel.- .85
A. Vel.- .71
Decel time- 201
TV E Vel. - .75
A Vel.- .65
PV Max Vel.- .86
TR Pressure -17

Findings: 2D echo showed left ventricle cavity size within normal limits. Normal wall motion different segments of the left ventricle. EF about 55%. There is no gross wall abnormalities. No intramural or thrombi. Left Atrial size within normal limits. Normal anatomy of the mitral valve apparatus. Adequate opening of the valve orifice. Aortic Root size within the upper limit normal. No dissection present. Aortic Valve seems to be tricuspid in nature, but not 3 identically equal size leaflets. Right Atrium and right ventricle are of normal contractility. Normal anatomy of the tricuspid valve. Pulmonary vein and pulmonary valve within normal limits. No pericardial effusion.

Color and Spectral Doppler Showed trace of AI. Mild elevation velocity across the aortic valve at 1.70. At this point insignificant. Trace of MR. Mild TR. These are still hemodynamically insignificant.

Impressions:
1) Preserved systolic function of the LV. No gross wall motion or abnormalities were seen.
2) Left Atrial size normal
3) Trace of MR. Normal anatomy of Mitral Valve
4) Aortic root size upp limit normal. Trace of AI. Insignificant at this point. Aortic Valve seems to be tricuspid.
5) Right atrium and right ventricle are of normal contractility. Mild TR
6) No pericardial effusion
7) No pulmonary hypertension
8) No shunting was seen

Discussion
Periodic follow up to monitor the size of the aortic root and condition of the aortic valve.

So there it is guys..... and please, if you look at the report and say....WOW, that was me 10 yrs before surgery, that's fine.... I want to know. The old me couldn't take the facts or the truth, but I have my big boy pants on now.... whatever the facts are, or your thoughts, I would like to hear.

Thanks so much for your time.

My reports have not displayed many of those numbers and I don't know what many of those are either. The findings and impressions areas cover the signficant issues and seem complete. The issue for you is your aortic root. Everything else looks very good. Your root is still within normal limits and it could be stable for many, many years or it could change. There's no way to predict that. Hence, "periodic follow up."

I'm jealous. You are NORMAL, or very close to it. I WISH I had an EF of 55-60%.
You are in freaking great shape, and can hang out with your "insigificant" valve issues for years and years. Enjoy it, just keep an eye on it.

Your report is much better than my first when I was diagnosed a decade before my AVR. What this tells you is that by working to maintain good cardio vascular health, you win either way. If the condition of your valve never changes much then the you do to stay healthy will stand you in good stead and help you live a normal healthy life. On the other hand, should your valve begin to deteriorate rapidly and you find that you need surgery, you will be set for a good recovery.

I do appreciate that it can be a burden living with the knowledge that one has a condition that could develop into a life threatening problem. Each morning we get up step into our cars and expose ourselves to life threatening circumstances. Because we do this every day, we become desensitized to the very real danger of accidents even if we are the best of drivers. Living with a heart problem that could potentially become serious is actually much safer. You can never know which other driver around you on the highway may be angry, using drugs, or is distracted by a cell phone. Your heart condition, however, will be monitored routinely which will should alert you to the need for surgery before it becomes an emergency. We all live with risk. A problem valve, however, is a much more personal threat than the anonymity of the highway; perhaps it should not be.

Larry

These were me about 13-15 years back. Things look good, actually.

First of all.... i read your story, and what great progress you are making with your surgery! Great job and great story.

2nd) i know its hard to say what one persons body will do compared to another...... my first cardiologist suggested that i may luck out and never need anything done..... my current one is guessing in 20 years i may need some form of treatment......and its great to hear 13-15 years from someone like you whose now been there, climed, and conquered the mountain.

What i have to cope with today is my natural impatience. In my mind, if things arent "normal" i want it fixed asap. So the challenge ahead of me (like so many before) is the part where i have to tuck this information away and move on with everyday living until the "time" comes around again to deal with it.

Thanks for all the support guys...... I realize that my echo stuff seems pretty insignificant to those of you having surgery soon, or for those of you who already have......may sound strange, but I kind of envy you guys/gals..... its a done deal for you folks, now you just focus on staying healthy. For me, the day revolves around wondering how long my aortic valve will stay "trace" insufficient..... what symptons will I have?? etc... I have been reading waaaay to much internet stuff I know that much.

Latest posts

Back