My incision - 5 days post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredW

Premium Level User
This picture was taken five days post op.

I'm already making up stories about my incision scars: I was in this knife fight. I showed it to my son and he wanted to know how I got the three bullet holes in my belly. And the hole in the jugular also has possibilities. Can't wait until I can put it all together and impress the grand kids.

Attachments

• photo9057.jpg
    photo9057.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 74
Young man - you are looking good.

You got three bullet holes - I only got two - I must have ducked one bullet but can't remember.

I am now almost a week post op and wonder how long it will take until some of the discolorations around the scar area will disappear.

Hi Juli, I'm trying to figure out how to get tape marks off. The bandages they used have edges like super glue. How is your breathing? I can't lie down flat without having issues with breathing.

You can buy little wipes designed especially for this task from the chemist - I think these were called "Remove". They had them at my hospital and my mum stashed them. Go Mumsy.

As a child with an overactive imagination I relished in scaring the other children with stories about my scar. Alien abduction! Born with head stuck between my ribs! When animals attack! Now when people ask I think; you know, no need to comment. Kthnksbai.

Five days? I think you're looking good. I feel ripped off about getting less bullet holes too.

FredW;n867059 said:
Hi Juli, I'm trying to figure out how to get tape marks off. The bandages they used have edges like super glue. How is your breathing? I can't lie down flat without having issues with breathing.

Fred - I had serious problems breathing while laying down immediately after surgery. I actually made them keep me in the hospital one additional day to ensure that I was able to breathe well enough to not need oxygen. It was pretty scary, but it resolved fairly quickly.

Has your doctor ruled out pleural effusion (fluid in your lungs)? Sometimes this happens. They may need to prescribe a diuretic to help you get rid of the fluid.

Also sometimes one lung (or the other) may fail to fully re-inflate after surgery. They do, after all, empty and collapse our lungs while they are in there working on the heart. Sometimes the lung tissue sticks together when it collapses, and then it takes some time to become "unstuck" and to re-inflate completely. It is scary, but not considered serious. Remember. . . your spirometer (they did send one home with you, didn't they?) is your new best friend. Liberal and frequent use of the spirometer will help to re-inflate your lungs and will generally help you to improve lung function.

These are pretty common side effects for this point in your recovery. Just remember to call the doc if they don't start to resolve soon, or if you feel you are actually having trouble bringing enough oxygen into your system (if you feel light-headed or faint, etc.).

I agree Steve. I was told by the ICU doctor that pleural effusion is very, very common after OHS. in fact my oxygen sats were in the high 70s. I didn't feel short of breath though, but they insisted on giving me oxygen. When I got home I spiked a temperature and got the chills badly. I was sitting on 38.5 degrees. I called the hospital, who called the surgeon. I was told to present if my temp reached 39. Apparently I got a pneumonia. It happens when we don't take deep enough breaths. The bottom of our lungs get stagnant, which makes them a breeding ground for bacteria. Get a course of antibiotics and don't make the mistake I made of laying in bed all day. Take deep breaths and walk as much as you can.

Do they still send OHS patients home with spirometers? (You remember - those nasty little breathing devices?) They told us "Your spirometer is your friend. Use it often." These things are supposed, if used properly, to bring us to breathe more deeply, thus fully inflating our lungs and helping to clear fluid from them. When I first came home from my OHS, I was coughing a lot. When I increased use of the spirometer, the cough went away.

Yes, Steve, I did get sent home with a spirometer. I just retired it last week. It did help expand my breathing. I'm doing find now. Strong, fit, and full of P&V, says my wife.

Fred, looks like you are healing nicely. Mineral oil helped me get rid of the tape residue. Just swab it on and rub like you are taking odd fingernail polish or clean Jong brass, etc.

Back