My experience in the waiting room.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surgery has been successfully completed. I have had no problems with infection, healing etc. Most of my pain is related to my right shoulder which was held stationary during surgery while they opened me up and did their work. I stayed one day extra to stabilize my INR. All in all, glad to be alive and home. However, I sure do miss the hospital bed and recliner chair. :)

My experience was very predictable based upon what I learned here. Many hospital staff were surprised by how much I knew and the quality of my questions. All thanks to your help.

Glad to hear things went well. I'm a week and 3 days out of my AVR surgery, and I head ya in missing the hospital beds and recliners. The final day I was there I finally found the perfect setup for my bed, than they kicked me out. Never thought I'd be saying I missed the hospital.

Thing have been going well. Bumps in the road are few and expected based upon what I read here. I was weaker than I thought I would be, slightly more winded doing steps than before the operation (man cave is on the third floor), but that has been getting better with time. It was to be expected, I was just in denial :)

My incision healed up like a text book case as well as my drainage holes. My only complaint is my shoulder, but it is getting better. The exercises from the physical therapist have been working, I can tell because it feels better after exercising and has been getting better with time.

I used the first 50 Vicadins as needed, but reduced them when possible so I am now on acetaminophen, with 30 of my second 50 Vicadins still left.

In bed I finally got the guts to roll over on my stomach (my usual sleeping position) once the holes stopped draining. My shoulder actually feels better in the morning now that I am not sleeping the whole night on my back. I bolster the arm with a pillow. I still wake up about 4 times a night, this is my only real complaint, but that will change.

AmyBL, I will be doing cardiac rehab at St. Lukes starting Friday. Hope I get to meet you.

Thanks again for the info and support. I was feeling put-upon going in for my Monday 7:45 am blood draw in the clinic the first day out of the hospital. I was also on the full dose of pain killers. Lady before me was in good shape, about 10 years older, nice clothes hat over protected hair-do. She was in good spirits, there for the same thing. Turns out she was a heart transplant patient. Her obvious health and good cheer helped me put my minor operation and problems in perspective. Her example was one of those small daily inspirations.

Tom:

Superb progress! I had the same SOB going upstairs which resolved slowly over maybe a month. You are starting rehab already??!! I think I started at 6 weeks. Rehab really accelerates your recovery, although they took it way too easy with me for the first month. I think they didn't distinguish me from the general post-MI or post ACD surgery crowd. Anyway, I got them to increase the workload and I more than tripled my exercise capacity in 12 weeks.

It's very, very common to have shoulder pain. It's amazing that I had no pain at all anywhere and was spared the pain pills, especially consiering how long I was on the table. I totally lucked out in many, many ways. And it appears you too are doing very well, just as should be expected. There was little to worry about after all, right?

Congrats.

Hi Tom:

I will be at rehab on Friday, at the 8:15 class. The first time I went, I don't believe I went to the floor to exercise but you may be different. When I am there, I will scan the room for a new face. Congratulations for reaching this milestone.

Amy

Latest posts

Back