My experience in the waiting room.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in MO

I have a bicuspid valve with severe stenosis. I want to thank you all for your assistance and information I gleaned from this forum. I will be getting a St. Jude mechanical this Friday. I went for catheterization last Friday and have good solid arteries and no need for extra work. A few things from my personal experience I would like to share:

Surgery now or later:
With BAV and arterial stenosis nobody knows when it will be too late, but to quote my cardiologist, nobody wants to suffer from the syndrome known as “sudden death.” He always pauses for effect before “sudden death.” I was asymptomatic last December when I had my last echocardiogram and recommendation for surgery. I was getting them yearly, but then every six months. My only symptom was one dizzy spell and some mild light-headedness. I found it hard to believe I needed surgery. The cardiologist said don’t wait more than 6 months, my surgeon agreed.

Both doctors told me that the problem with BAV stenosis will go along flat (i.e. no symptoms-not a problem), and then dramatically change (like a dirt road that comes up to a cliff, has a little down slope and then you drop straight down). This is somewhat my experience. In the last three months my symptoms have progressed so that now I get a little bit of lightheadedness every few hours and can’t stay awake past 8:30 (used to be 10:30), but still always get up at 5:30. I had a cold that was not too bad, but really put me to bed even earlier. This dramatic (for me) change in my strength in only about one month tells me, I need the surgery and am glad I planned in late December to do it in late February and did not wait until June as I was told I could.

Mechanical or Biological Valve:
I chose mechanical because I am 54 and do not like operations. I have had three and have had screw-ups with chronic problems after each one. None of the problems are major, but just enough for me to know, nothing is perfect. The first surgery left me with chronic pain in my left testicle due to the catheter hitting a nerve. The second and third surgeries were due to hernias caused by the first surgery. The third surgery was supposed to make me pain free in 2 months, it took 2 years. Warfarin does not scare me, because I know people on it. Plus, even w/o any anticoagulant, you still have a 75% chance of no problems. The kicker was when I found out (confirmed by my surgeon) that 30% of all those with a tissue valve need warfarin for other reasons sooner rather than later.

I did go and have a second appointment to discuss the Warfarin therapy with my cardiologist. I also had a second appointment with my surgeon to discuss valve type and the surgery itself. They both said the mantra here “both choices are good since you live.” However, as we discussed more, they both agreed with my “gut” that mechanical was a good choice for me and my life style. Partner with your doctors. Spend the extra money to see them more than once. Don’t read too much at one time it can be scary :)

Micromanage my care:
One of the things that really worried me was whether or not I was managing my care properly. Should I find the best doctor, the best hospital, the best valve? It was “driving me crazy”. I calmed down and realized that this operation is done many places around the country and world, not just in Cleveland or Mayo :). I stuck with my current cardiologist and his hospital (it has a heart center). I decided to leave that decision to fate or God (pick whichever you like). My surgeon was chosen because he was next in line when my cardiologist called. My doctor for my catheterization was the one scheduled for the time period I wanted. Well luck or God was on my side. My surgeon is well respected and head of clinical research at my hospital. My catheter doctor is head of catheterization services. My hospital opened a new heart center in October, so everything is brand new and state of the art. Even better, when I went for the catheterization, all the nurses and staff were bright eyed and bushytailed over their new digs and equipment. So, have some faith, don’t worry if you can’t travel to the best and the brightest.

What about the valve, which one? This was easy, my surgeon can do many (including the much touted Onyx), but he recommended the St. Jude. He gave me good reasons why, and I’d rather have him comfortable, than try to second guess his choice given my ignorance.

Waiting Room:
I am a person blessed with a strong mental constitution. I weather problems pretty well. However, this “waiting room” has been the worst. I would get teary-eyed and choked up over silly stuff such as taking my daughter to the bus stop, listening to the Nigerians and Micronesians at my church sing their folk songs, reading the forum letters, reading scientific articles about BAV. This type of emotional response was new to me. It was good, because now I can understand how others feel in maybe less dramatic situations.

However each time I made a decision it got better until the next milestone and the next decision. For example, I decided not to schedule the surgery until I found out if warfarin would affect my hemorrhoids (it doesn’t). This calmed me down until after my colonoscopy when I needed to make the next decision, when to schedule the surgery. This calmed me down until I needed to make the next decision, when to tell the people at work. Then it was better until I needed to decide the valve type. Then I was better until some personal things got in the way. When I made each those decisions, it got easier, but the stress rose until the next decision. So my advice is only that it will get better each step of the way out of the waiting room. Each decision makes it easier to make the next.

Oh I started to worry about "pump head" because of what I read elsewhere and on this forum. But the continuing discussion here and the more recent articles calmed me down. It really can be a roller coaster. Don't believe everything you read, but somethings you've got to believe.

So I go in for the big one on Friday. Thanks for all the information. It can be really heartrending to read this forum. Hopefully this little missive is helpful to someone. Have faith.

Tom. I'm in Missouri as well. St Louis & just had a AVR& 1 bypass last feb9- less than 2 weeks ago. and amout & about now feel super & hoping to get to fla end end of this week. Are u in st Louis ? Either way good luck Friday ! You'll do super. Not sure what I can answer but ask away. Best. Nancy jane !

Hi Tom,

Your story mirrors mine somewhat (including age) except you have a date (I'm still waiting).

I hope all goes really well on Friday and before too long we are reading posts of how swimmingly all is going for you.

All the best.

Phil.

All the best to you, Tom. Sounds like you are well prepared and in good hands. No doubt, waiting is the worst, but you're almost through with that. Here's to a great outcome including a smooth recovery

I'm in St Louis as well - would like to hear more about your surgeon and hospital.

Sounds like you've done your research and have reached the point wherein you realize that you can only control so much (in reality, so little) that it's time to take a step back and just put your faith in the fact that OHS, as serious a procedure as it is, sure beats the alternative. Best wishes for you on Friday and the following period of recovery!

sounds like you have the "80%" mental piece down...best of luck and it is okay to find that resource where you can release your emotions- they are valid! Stand strong and once you get past the waiting room, which is the worst part next to the breathing tube, you will be on your way to a speedy recovery! You are in my prayers, Tom.

Respectfully,

Scott

Hi Tom

Believe it or not, when you are well prepared like you are, OHS for valve replacement is a really interesting experience to go through! REALLY!

Like you only at age 55, I also chose a MHV, as I did not want a repeat surgery, or at least the best chance to avoid it.

It is human nature for our brothers and sisters to share and warn of their bad experience with phenomenon's like "pump head", or discomfort come the time to remove the breathing tube. These are real and genuine experiences that can happen and are not to be ignored but, they do not happen to every one.

Embrace the experience of OHS, learn and grow from it.

Best of luck on Friday! It sounds like you are well prepared to have the waiting come to an end and to get the healing process started. We're here to listen if you need to vent, either heading in or if you hit some bumps in the road during your recovery.

Tom...I read your post with great interest. It's frustrating...the waiting room and the fact that BAVs can be stable for a long time (I was diagnosed with AS in 2004 and I'm still waiting) and then go "off the cliff" downhill all of a sudden as you say. One question for you: what is the condition of your aorta? Any dialation?

Good luck with your procedure.

Best wishes,

Jim

Tom, thanks for the thoughtful post. Like you and "Just Ask" I think an important part of coming to terms with what is happening is to recognize the limits of what one can control. It helps to recognize one's limits and accept that one must rely upon the support of others to get through the emotional roller coaster of waiting. I look forward to hearing from you in a week or two, Tom. Best Wishes

Larry

Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.

I live in KC and my hospital is St. Lukes.

For me Jim, I am blessed with that good German/Irish trait of denial and procastination, so the waiting room didn't get into my head until it was time for replacement. I don't know the exact condition of my aorta, but IIRC it is OK.

So much of what you read is presented as fact, but may not be. That's why the discussion on this forum is so helpful to put things in perspective and bring in new information. For any type of study, even though I am a "scientist", it is easy to see the negative (15% have problems), and not the positive (85%) do not. :)

Please don't waste time worrying about pump head or any other uncommon complications. Worrying will have absolutely no effect on whether or not any of these occur and there is nothing you can do about it. Odds are overwhelming you will do very well and only have minor complications if any. The surgery will knock you back for a few months. Since you have had symptoms, you at least have something that will clearly improve post-op. I had ZERO symptoms before surgery despite horrible stenosis and terrible things going on in my heart. So, I had to evaluate my results by simply accepting that I avoided certain if not sudden death. As my surgeon said, my first symptom could have been my last. Yes, I understand the emotional fragility you are experiencing. Facing this challenge and overcoming it gives you a different perspective on life and death. Had you happened to live only 50 years in the past, you would likely be dead in a couple of years. Now, you will get to live the same full life as anyone else who does not have BAV.

Surgery has been successfully completed. I have had no problems with infection, healing etc. Most of my pain is related to my right shoulder which was held stationary during surgery while they opened me up and did their work. I stayed one day extra to stabilize my INR. All in all, glad to be alive and home. However, I sure do miss the hospital bed and recliner chair. :)

My experience was very predictable based upon what I learned here. Many hospital staff were surprised by how much I knew and the quality of my questions. All thanks to your help.

Congratulations Tom!! And we pray for a speedy and full recovery

My BAV repalcement in scheduled for Tuesday morning here in California (transplant from Keokuk Iowa).

Hi Tom in MO,

Great to hear that all is well for you. In a few weeks, if you go to Cardiac Rehab at St. Lukes, I will likely see you. Your last message was reasonable and very helpful.

Amy

Tom, I feel the same way. Every time I make a decision it feels easier and easier. Your post describes how I feel. I am glad you are on the other side. Cannot wait to read more of your updates.

Cheers.

Back