My Doc claims there is no 'home test'

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Andrea

Seems odd to me that my cardiologist who has known my Mother for 17 years claimed that there was no home testing. Anyone know why he might tell me that? He has always seemed to go above and beyond for me so I'm confused.

I know my surgeon had mentioned it. I have an appointment with both next week. Can I get an RX for it from my surgeon? Or does someone know how I might plead my case with my cardiologist? I want to make sure I get heard on this follow up appt. I'm only 31 and have horrible veins. I'll be damned if I am going to go to lab for the rest of my life if I dont have to :mad:

I'm hoping there is a good reason why my doc said that. I only asked him about it casually while half doped up in the hospital. Maybe he just didnt want to discuss it with me like that :confused:

Gimme some good arguement material for my appt with him next week :D

Thanks

Not surprised!

Not surprised!

Ignorance about hometesting and warfarin regulation no longer surprises me. My best friend from med school who manages warfarin for lots of people told me he had never heard of finger stick home testing when we met at our 50 year class reunion. Roche contacted me when I put in a purchase order four years ago and wanted to know how I heard about Coaguchek. ( my cardiologist, a young smart guy prescribed Coaguchek at my first post op visit). So my advice is contact QAS and Roche if you like and get some literature to go over with your cardiologist. He may turn out to like the idea. My friend did.

Home Test

Home Test

Andrea,

Give me a call at QAS, 1-800-298-4515, x 2616. I would be happy to send information to your doctor or talk to him personally regarding the ProTime - or even send information to you to take to your doctor. We have been selling the ProTime for almost 7 years now and it still surprises me when a doctor hasn't heard about us.

This monitor is for your mother? Your surgeon can prescribe the monitor for her unless she is on Medicare. There is some criteria that you have to meet to be on the Med. program and a doctor has to be willing to manage her caseload.

Let me know how I can help you!

Andrea

Andrea

I just posted under your post-surgery thread..about pleading for a Protime. Do you work? Are the Labs closed when you get off work? How far would you have to drive (traffic)..Would you have a hard time with baby sitter's..But I think your veins and young age should get you one..a script from your Cardiologist. I don't think the surgeon would give you one. After they close you up and their 3 weeks checkup...You are history for them:p I had my one year checkup from Cardiologist this week. They wrote me a letter wanting me to come in for 1 year checkup. Nothing from surgeon's office...I guess they want you to be under a Cardiologist or PCP for all problems after 3 weeks..:D :D Let Michelle help you from QAS..Bonnie

Michele, the PT would be for me :) My valve damage was due to odd circumstances and I cant explain on here. I know I'm pretty young but it happens. I'm not on Medicare but I do have Aetna.

I am going to my Cardiologist next week and want to talk to him about it first before I have people contact him, but I will have one of those PT thingies come hell or high water :p I will contact you once I prep him.

Bonnie, you always have such great ideas! I didnt think about bringing up those points. I do work and it would be a pain in the butt. I will definately use those points for amunition!

ProTime

ProTime

Andrea,

Let me know if I can help you out with your doctor in anyway! Give me a call when you are ready to proceed. My number is 1-800-298-4515 x 2616. Thanks.

Andrea,

For your LAB tests, ask the tech to use the SMALLEST needle possible. Better yet, ask them to use a BUTTERFLY which is really tiny with a small flexible hose that runs to the collection tubes. It costs more and takes a little more time but is MUCH more comfortable than larger needles, sort of like a mosquito bite vs a bee sting. Good luck in your quest for home testing.

You may also want to look for a Coumadin Clinic that uses a finger stick machine instead of vein draws.

'AL'

Latest posts

Back