My Dad has sleep apnea HELP

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofromct

Hello
For years my mom said my dad stops breathing in his sleep. My father does have a history of medical problems, at 49 he had a stroke, recovered 99%, lives a normal life on blood thinners. Also, he might have to have valave replacement surgery in the future. Well, last night he went for a sleep study. He was up all night, well, they woke him all night and he was trying to use the CPAP, he said he just coudlnt do it, it made him choke. In 2 weeks he goes for this follow up and will also take a class onhow to use the CPAP. I am so nervous, another thing to worry about with my Dad. Can anyone give advice or just help me feel any better?
Thanks in advance...Joanne - Connecticut

Once people get used to the CPAP, they do VERY well with it. I think it is a little learning curve. We have several members who use it. I am sure they will come along and help you out.

I honestly think this is what is happening to me also. I'm sure I'll hate the thing, but if I could get a good nights rest with it, it's worth it.

Hi Joanne. I Have Severe Sleep Apnea......

Hi Joanne. I Have Severe Sleep Apnea......

I have sleep apnea as well, and I use the full facial mask and although it did take me a few weeks to get used to it, I feel sooooo much better with it now...I no longer feel so wiped out in the afternoons and more importantly, I can drive my car without worrying about whether or not I am going to fall asleep behind the wheel. My sleep apnea is so severe that if I go without it for more than a day or two, my oxygen levels drop to below 40 percent and most likely I would die. I don't mean to scare you, nor your father, but I did want to tell you this in hopes that your father will remain persistant and know that things will come around and it will become second nature to him. What they can do to help him get used to the CPAP is give him a machine that has a "ramp" function on it, and what this does, is when you first put on the mask, it will start him out at about 1/2 the pressure that he will be using, and during the next 1/2 hour, the machine will slowly increase the pressure up to the full titration that he is set for by the doctors. I hope this helps your dad, and helps put your mind at ease as best it can...I know your worried, but once he gets used to the machine, he will do fine. You are both in my prayers and know I am routing for you....Harrybaby:D :D :D

You are ALL amazing people. Thank you so much. He works so hard like 60 hours a week, and commutes to work an hour there and back. I worry so much, but I also have faith. His follow up is in two weeks for the machine and such. If it was real bad wouldnt they give him the machine to go home with last night? I mean, how come he dont have it now? I dont know much about this, but I am willing to learn. I think my Dad is willing to learn this machine as well.

Hi Joanne....

Hi Joanne....

They wouldn't necessarily give it to him at that moment, because they go through a respiratory medical company that gets the "prescription" for the CPAP pressure that the machine is set to....then the medical company has to fit him for a mask, whether it's the nasal buds (of which I could not tolerate) or a mask that just fits over the nose. I went with the full facial (nose and mouth) as it was the one that worked the best for me. This part is very individualized as some people prefer one type of headgear over another, so it is a bit more involved than just saying "here's your machine, have a happy..." LOL, but please be assured that they won't let him go without making sure he's comfortable with the machine and headgear. I hope this helps you....Harrybaby:D :D

P.S. Joanne, your father may actually grow to "love the machine" as he will feel soooo much more rested after he gets used to the machine.

Jojo:

My husband was scheduled for 2 nights of sleep study. About halfway during the first night, they stopped it & said they knew what his problem was. Didn't have to go to the 2nd night.
He got a call from the home medical equipment company a couple days before our PCP's office called.

He's had 3 or 4 CPAP machines. The first several were rented; then when his insurance changed, the new company authorized the purchase. Don't remember how much his co-pay was. He has to get Rxes for replacement masks, filters & tubing. He says the filters last about 4-5 months, the mask & tubing about 1 year.

He says he didn't have any problem adjusting to wearing the mask.

I remember the first couple of days he was on the CPAP machine, at how much more energy he had. No more headaches (caused by interrupted sleep due to snoring, stopping breathing).

For those who use CPAPs who are facing OHS:
John's in the hospital right now. Had his mitral valve repair last Thursday. We were told to bring the CPAP machine; because he went into surgery @ 2:30 p.m., I sent the CPAP home with my parents @ 7:30 p.m., when he was getting out of recovery and going to ICU.
I had had a lot of nausea after my MVR 4 years ago, so I was concerned about his using the CPAP while in ICU just hours after surgery. I was also concerned about using it while on O2 lines, etc.
He had no nausea whatsoever, could have used the CPAP that night.

So, best to have the machine ready to hand over to the ICU staff. Best to have the machine fully tagged with owner's name -- on the machine body, carrying case, etc.
The first night John used it here in the hospital, the respiratory therapist assembled it for him.

What was I thinking?

What was I thinking?

I'd carried around my CPAP prescription for more than 2 months. I have severe sleep apnea, but just didn't want to fuss with CPAP. My family and friends nagged me so much that I finally got my prescription filled agreeing to use the machine once or twice a week at the most. Wow! I've been using it every night now for the past 2 weeks. I just can't believe how easy the CPAP is to use, and how much more energy I have during the day, and how much stronger I feel. Each day, I feel even better and stronger. I am truly amazed.

Granted, during the 2 sleep studies I tried a variety of different masks--face masks, nasal masks, nasal buds, etc. until I found the one that just seemed natural and comfortable to me. It was so much worth the effort.

My original thinking about the CPAP machine was so incredibly wrong. What was I thinking???

I have a relative (in another state) who was recently diagnosed with this and he's supposed to get a machine tomorrow. Interesting information.

hello everyone, I love this board! Everyone is so nice.

So my dad went for his follow up for the sleep study - he was diganosed with SEVER sleep apnea. He now is waiting for a phone call call to go in and take this 45 minute class with the CPAP machines and how to use them and which one will suit him. Then he has to go back for another sleep study over night.
I cant wait for him to use this machine. He was told he stops breathing 45 times in a minute or something like that. They told him its not extreme its severe. I am nervous but also anxious for him to get the machine.

Any insights...Love you all...Joanne

Pretty good Apnea forum over at http:www.cpaptalk.com.

I was diagnosed with severe OSA 2 years ago - I've had a Respironics CPAP since then that I guard jealously. It has actually been the missing piece in my recovery from valve surgery; I was in the beggining stages of right heart failure.

You can buy masks and supplies online without a prescription, BTW. You *do* need one for the actual machines, though. Try cpap.com.

My dad FINALLY got his machine. Well, after a few attempts to use it, and much aggravation too, he is not going to use it. This has upset all of us so much. I dont understand. He gets very stressed trying to use the machine and said thats it, not using it. HE says he feels like he is going to choke, clostaphobic (sp?) and gets nervous. Someone even came to his house to show him. I cant convince him anymore. NOT AT ALL. We all told him it takes time. I am so scared he will pass in his sleep now. My mom is very stressed, I know it. :(

JoJo,

Quality of life is just as important as quantity. Many people make decisions not to have treatment from refusing chemotherapy to avoiding surgeries to refusing life support. Often these choices are ones we don't understand because many of us will do whatever is necessary (or so we think) to live. Thank God we still live in a society where we have the right to make those decisions.

If you, your family and his doctor have done everything to explain the possible outcome of your dad not using the CPAP, then you will have to come to terms with his choice. It sounds like he feels using it is just too "painful" a thing for him to deal with and he wants the freedom to sleep without it.

I have a living will that indicates no life support in certain situations. Your father is making that decision for himself. If you fight him, all your lives will be filled with stress instead of the love needed during such times. Please try to respect your father's choice and just provide love and support.

GeeBee
Thank you so much for the advice, its what I wanted to hear. I thought I would get a negative comment back for some reason, but you made me at ease. It is HIS decision. Your right. I dont want to fight with him at all. Believe me. My husband is very upset because he doesnt want anything to happen to my Dad, none of us do...WE are trying for a baby and of course we want my Dad healthy...and WHO knows, maybe he will be OK. My faith grows stronger once again. Thank you.

Joanne;)

Hi Joanne -

Since I last posted, my relative got his machine and absolutely loves it and sends emails to all of his relatives and friends telling them that it is a truly wonderful thing and he hasn't felt so good in years and they should all get one too!

And then a friend got one recently and he's having trouble with it because the mask or something doesn't fit quite right so he's going to have to be refitted and get a mask in a different size because the current mask pushes air up his nose and chokes him or something.

Both of them are pushing 70 I think. I hope these two experiences are helpful.

I had a long talk with my mom last night. This whole thing has us so stressed, but there is not much we can do. My mom said it really bothered my dad, the machine gave him some really weird feelings. I wish there was something I could do, I am really stressed about this. My dad has always listened to his doctors and followed instructions, this is the first time ever he doesnt and cant do this one thing. I am scared for him. The doctor called him last night and mentioned trying a sleeping pill, my dad declined, he is already on EIGHT different medications and does not want to take another one. My father works 60 hours a week and is already so tired at the end of the day. I am worried about his commute back and forth to work, and everything now.
I know this shouldnt be about ME. But I am stressed.
Any other words of advice, this board helps me.
Also, he goes for this ECHO next week to see how the valve is doing.
Love Joanne - Connecticut

Joanne:

I'm sorry the CPAP isn't working out for your dad. However, with your dad's work schedule, commute to work, heart problems, etc., I'm sure his frustration level is very low.

I understand your mom's & your views/feelings on the situation. It hurts to see a loved one suffer or not doing well when medical help is available, but ultimately it is their life and their decision.

Hello everyone
My father goes for this 6th month ECHO today to check on his valve. Please keep him in your prayers.
I will post when we found out the results.
Thank you all
Joanne

Joanne -

Joanne -

I couldn't find where you said what kind of face mask your dad tried. I gather it was a full face mask. I have very mild sleep apnea just diagnosed last year. I tried the full face mask and could not wear it for anything - I got SO mad and aggravated - sounds just like your dad right now. I couldn't sleep a wink with that contraption on my face! Gets my blood pressure up just thinking of it!

So, I tried the "nasal pillows" face mask and a chin strap to keep my mouth shut (the only time it's shut - hee) - I slept the first night (and ever since) no problem - I feel so much better during the day now.

I hope you can get your dad to try the nasal pillows - they just stick into your nostrils (it's so attractive) - :rolleyes: - but hey I guarantee he will be able to tolerate this. Well, I don't guarantee it, but almost!

Good luck - keep trying with him - sleep apnea is dangerous!

Christina L

Latest posts

Back