My Aunt had TAVI

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roberta

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would share the following story with you as I know many of us have discussed TAVI as a possible future intervention for severe aortic valve stenosis (for those who don't qualify for standard OHS), but I don't recall knowing anyone personally undergoing this procedure (for aortic valves) UNTIL last week! And the story relates to my aunt (who I so happen to look like as well!)...

My aunt has been dealing with atrial fibrillation the past few years and knew of a 'murmur'. A few weeks ago she went to emergency (on the advice of her daughter) as she had recently had a flu and still had a lingering severe cough and chest pain.

Did things change rapidly for her and very quickly. Once she was admitted to the hospital, they ran a series of tests including an echo etc. It was determined she had severe aortic valve stenosis and was in congestive heart failure. As she had other co-morbidities and because of her age, it was decided that she undergo TAVI. It has now been 4 days and she is recovering.

I will keep you posted. Please keep her in your prayers as I know this is early on in recovery for her. I feel like she is a pioneer patient who is paving the way for any of us who may undergo TAVI in future. She received the Edwards Sapien bovine valve.

Last edited:
I had the Edwards Sapiens trans catheter heart valve done percutaneously for my pulmonary valve in September,
Hope your Aunts recovery continues to go well,
Sarah xxxx

Latest posts

Back