my 3 year old has an On-X mitral valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Emma

hi everyone, I have looked on this site before but never posted on it.
I have a three year old daughter Chloe who was born with complete AVSD. To cut a veeeeery long story short she has had 4 ops (3 open heart) and we very nearly lost her at one point! but now has a 25mm On-X prosthetic mitral valve, which she has had since July 2000. Obviously she's now on warfarin to decrease the chance of blood clotting on the valve. Since her surgery Chloe has gone from a weak, miserable child to the most energetic, loud, cute little girl I've ever met! The valve has done wonders for her, but what I'd like to know is if anyone else has a young child who has had this procedure too?? I only know of one other child who's had an MV replacement and no-one else who has an On-X valve (Chloe was the first UK child to have it sucessfully). I would love to hear of any similar cases or perhaps older children who have lived with these valves for a while to see how they cope in older childhood with it all??
Thankyou for your help!
Love Emma
xxx

Julia

Julia

Hi Emma..See members above? click on members. click on J's..go to Julia's Mom and Dad. Julia is 3 and even has her picture on web site. Maybe you to can chat? Bonnie:)

Mornin, Emma - lovely to see you here and to know of the great success of your wee one. There's probably nothing harder to bear than the illness of our children. My prayer is one of thankfulness for you and for her. There will be others who will respond with information you want. Thanks for stopping by and we look forward to having you with us to let us know as she grows. God bless

Hello Emma and welcome to this great site. You will find much support from here. I hope your daughter continues to do so well. Children are so reselent. Im having mitral valve replacement tomorrow and I too will be on a blood thinner to add to my 9 different meds Im on currently. Hang in there and treasure her each and every day. God kept her alive for a reason. Children are such a treasure. Hugs to you and your family.
:)

Hi Emma

Hi Emma

Just reading your post brought tears to my eyes. You hear of adults who have gone through so much on this sight but when it comes to children that's another story. I have had 4 heart surgeries to repair/replace several valves. I have a condition that was generally thought to be hereditary. When my daughter was born 16 months after my first surgery I was scared to death. As she grew I had her checked several times for any signs of aortic valve problems. She went through echos, ekgs and many other tests only to find out that she is perfectly healthy. She is 21 now and a college athlete. What I'm getting at is I know I would have gone through 100 heart surgeries myself to keep her from going through one. The greatest gift we will ever be given is our children and I'm sure you, of all people, know that. Thank God she is healthy today

Hi Emma

Hi Emma

I hope you can find some answers here, I've been helped a lot coming to this site, you and your family have endured a lot, I hope Chloe has nothing but good days, she earned them.

Terry40

Latest posts

Back