MV repair this fall

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi , I am 35 years old and have Mitral Valve Prolapse since childhood and in 2001 had mild Mitral regurgitation. Last year my palpatations were repeating so had an echo and the Regurgitation has become moderate. Since last year i dont gain weight much and had slight dizziness and low BP often. Again last week i had severe dizziness feel and palpatations and went for an echo and diagonised with moderatly severe Regurgitation. So now my dr suggests to review again in 3months and says a repair or replacement of the mitral valve in a year is better for me. My Dr expected the surgery in about 10 years when they did the tests last year but unfortunately it has progressed so quickly in a year now and iam very upset about it. Now wats the advantage of a repair in comparison to a replacement?

It is a proven fact that a successfull mitral valve repair is preferable over a replacement. Many studies confirm this. There are many advantages, but probably the most noticeable is that, with a repair, you will (usually) not need lifelong anticoagulation therapy (that is a must with a mechanical replacement). Taking coumadin for life is not a big deal, as many experts here can confirm. But not needing it is of course better.
Nowadays, almost all prolapsing mitral valves can be successfully repaired. For isolated posterior leaflet prolapse, for instance, successfull repair rate is close to 100%. When both leaflets prolapse, repair is a little more difficult, but, in expert hands, the chances of getting your valve successfully repaired are still very high (around 90% i guess).

Surgery timing is very important. That is why you MUST have your regular checkups and follow your cardiologist instructions. And, if surgery is indicated, allways have, at LEAST, another qualified and independant opinion.

Becoming upset about a health condition does not lead to anywhere. You should accept it, and try to relax. You will be ok, and live a completely normal life.

Update:

Almost 2 years since the first echo and TEE. My last echo showed that the atrium has grown a fair bit (3.8cm to 4.2cm I guess) but my EF is doing ok. They put the regurgitation back into 'severe' category.

Now I get the pleasure of having another TEE as the doc is getting concerned at the atrium growth. Surgery might be getting closer.

Thanks for everyones input. Still not a great thing to deal with, but I am doing just fine.

Hang in there!

I'm glad you thought to come back and update us. Your progression is, I'm sure, familiar to many here. Although my issue was with a different valve, I still had to endure almost 10 years of waiting before it was time to replace. The waiting can be hard, but if you have a plan and can become comfortable that "some time" it will be time to move ahead, you can continue to live your life.

It sounds like you've done just that. Keep up the good work.

LyonsAudio;n854622 said:
Update:

Almost 2 years since the first echo and TEE. My last echo showed that the atrium has grown a fair bit (3.8cm to 4.2cm I guess) but my EF is doing ok. They put the regurgitation back into 'severe' category.

Now I get the pleasure of having another TEE as the doc is getting concerned at the atrium growth. Surgery might be getting closer.

Thanks for everyones input. Still not a great thing to deal with, but I am doing just fine.

Hey, there,
I had mitral repair when I was 30. It's been nine years since. Glad to hear you are doing OK. Just be aware of any symptoms and be sure to let your doctor know. I went from working out at the gym one day to being severely short of breath the next. After several tests (echo, cath, TEE) my cardiologist finally had me see a surgeon. All the while he was telling me that I wasn't ready for surgery yet but the surgeon said my valve was in far worse shape and it was time to get it fixed immediately. I'm not trying to scare you, but as long as you're feeling good, that's a good sign. Please keep us updated!

I find myself trying to figure out what is a symptom of the heart and what is just me being tired. I seem to be tired a lot lately, but considering I work 6 x 10-14 hour days a week I should feel tired. I think I just feel more tired that I have. I really should get more sleep.

The palpitation are always around too.

Be careful with that "tired" thing. Before I was diagnosed, I saw my internist for a complete physical because at 50, I was feeling more tired than I thought was proper for a guy in my shape (was a runner & gym rat for years). She said "Get used to it. You're getting older."

I didn't agree with her and kept pressing her to do more testing, When she was at the end of her rope, I convinced her to refer me to an endocrinologist for an evaluation - thyroid, etc..

The endo started out with a quick physical exam. He was about 5 minutes into it when he asked me "How long have you had that heart murmur?" He then said "I don't want to scare you, but I advise you to get that checked out sooner rather than later."

The rest is history. I fired the internist. Fired my first cardio. About 10 years later had valve replacement. Now I'm 67, still in the gym 5 days a week - after working 10-hour workdays (office job, though), and I'm usually not really tired after all that.

If you don't feel right, get it checked out. Stay with it until you know what is happening, then you can decide how do deal with it.

BTW, that's just my advice, which is probably worth just about what you've paid for it. . .

Well thats that.

TEE this morning. Looks like its time. Now how to find a surgeon and cardiologist in a state halfway across the country. We having moving plans for early May from Maine to Wisconsin.

This should prove to be a most fun summer.

Hmm. I remember my cardiologist saying an atrium at +4.0cm means its time. My situation was a little like yours. I was told to start looking for surgeons. I had my surgery 4 months later.

Latest posts

Back