muscle pain from statins use

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what's the latest on the statin odyssey?

did your gp run a liver enzyme test? if i recall correctly, too much or the wrong type
of statin affects your liver enzymes, which results in damage to structural muscles
(ligaments rather than lifting muscles, if i got that right), and that's where the pain
arises.

what's the latest on the statin odyssey?

did your gp run a liver enzyme test? if i recall correctly, too much or the wrong type
of statin affects your liver enzymes, which results in damage to structural muscles
(ligaments rather than lifting muscles, if i got that right), and that's where the pain
arises.

the last statin i was taking was Crestor® (rosuvastatin) the problem i have with my muscles is a stiffness when there in one place for any length of time and also in my lower back is very painful. after 3 weeks of stopping taking a statin the muscle pain is bearable and hopefully will clear up all together . the back pain is taking some what longer to improve .my gp didn't do any liver tests but to be fare to him the state my muscles were in there wasn't any doubt it was the stains doing it
cheers Jeff :)

there are lots of posts about statins. I finally told my dr I would NOT take a statin ever again. My cardio agreed that there are some of us who just can't take them. He put me on Zetia - I have now been told that there is not evidence that Zetia helps at all; in fact my drug provider (Humana) has taken Zetia off its list. Sooo --- I have a bunch of things I take each day - red yeast rice (it has a natural statin and some days I feel a little weakness but not much), niacin (over the counter - the kind that doesn't cause flushing of face), fish oil, Flax seed oil, and coq10. From years of Lipitor I became crippled and at one point was using a wheel chair, walker, cane. There is some permanent damage. Please get on the net and look up statins and see for yourself the things you will find. look at statins here in VR via search.

Rich's wife also cannot take statins at all and he might see this thread and stop in to give you some of his info.

Good luck in your search, but don't suffer anymore. It will hurt you eventually.

this post made my mind up to stop taking the statins and sort something else out . thanky you hensylee

you might want to consult with your gp then concerning a liver enzyme test.
could be you just need to drop dosage rather then stopping entirely.

i was originally on 80 mg simvistatin. no muscle pain (or nothing out of the
ordinary) but the liver test showed elevated levels. reduced to 20 mg and
enzyme levels back to normal. hdl/ldl/tri also within range.

it may take some time, experimenting with different statins at different dosages
to find the right prescription.

Can i just say thank you for posting this thread, i have been on Simvastatin for nearly a year now, and never knew this was a side effect of the drug, i have been having problems with my hands especially my knuckles been to doctor a number of times and he hasnt once mentioned that it could be the Simvastatin. I thought it was old age creeping up on me, i will certain bring this up with him when i go back and see him.
Thanks again for posting this thread.
JANE

you might want to consult with your gp then concerning a liver enzyme test.
could be you just need to drop dosage rather then stopping entirely.

i was originally on 80 mg simvistatin. no muscle pain (or nothing out of the
ordinary) but the liver test showed elevated levels. reduced to 20 mg and
enzyme levels back to normal. hdl/ldl/tri also within range.

it may take some time, experimenting with different statins at different dosages
to find the right prescription.

he as put me on Ezetimibe and have cholesterol test in 2 months . but i can't start to take them till all my muscle pains have gone . i will ask my GP about the test you mentioned

Can i just say thank you for posting this thread, i have been on Simvastatin for nearly a year now, and never knew this was a side effect of the drug, i have been having problems with my hands especially my knuckles been to doctor a number of times and he hasnt once mentioned that it could be the Simvastatin. I thought it was old age creeping up on me, i will certain bring this up with him when i go back and see him.
Thanks again for posting this thread.
JANE

Jane it took me ages to pin it down to my statin, i tried 5 diffrent ones each time the pains got worse after a few months on the new statin . please could you post what your GP tells you to do. i notice your in manchester so not to far from me

Hi Jeff,
yes i will, i am off to see GP on Thursday and i will let you know what he says. Yes your not far from me, nice to talk to a fellow UK member, thats not many of us LOL.
Take Care
Jane

Hi Jeff,
yes i will, i am off to see GP on Thursday and i will let you know what he says. Yes your not far from me, nice to talk to a fellow UK member, thats not many of us LOL.
Take Care
Jane

lol i had noticed they were in short demand .please post what he as to say . give me more info to take to my GP , cheers jeff:D

i have decided to change to a low fat diet and whole grain bread and a cholesterol lowering drink and spreads in stead of margarine or butter , and as soon as my shoulders and arms allow me to get back to my cycling for exercise I will continue to do some walking . still waiting to see my GP hopefully this will happen tomorrow morning . can any body recommend a cholesterol home testing kit please ?.does any body have any idea how long it take to get a statin out of your system
thanks Jeff

I bought a home testing kit some years ago and it's a little trouble learning how to use it. I finally got tired of doing it and quit. Found it wasn't really needed to check that often anyway. your dr should check you every six months anyhow. you can get your pharmacy to order one for you if they don't have them in stock. I am not at home for the next month or so, therefore can't give you the name of one but they are definitely available. Pharmacist might recommend one.

as for diet I listed somewhere above the things I take (supplements). went to a DO for awhile and she recommended: niacin, fish oil, flax seed, coQ 10. I take these every day. very important that you read labels, too. it will surprise you how much cholesterol there is in foods. Just don't eliminate ALL cholesterol from your diet. that is really bad, too. go figure. you will learn as time moves on about what to and not to eat. best wishes.

I bought a home testing kit some years ago and it's a little trouble learning how to use it. I finally got tired of doing it and quit. Found it wasn't really needed to check that often anyway. your dr should check you every six months anyhow. you can get your pharmacy to order one for you if they don't have them in stock. I am not at home for the next month or so, therefore can't give you the name of one but they are definitely available. Pharmacist might recommend one.

as for diet I listed somewhere above the things I take (supplements). went to a DO for awhile and she recommended: niacin, fish oil, flax seed, coQ 10. I take these every day. very important that you read labels, too. it will surprise you how much cholesterol there is in foods. Just don't eliminate ALL cholesterol from your diet. that is really bad, too. go figure. you will learn as time moves on about what to and not to eat. best wishes.

my GP told me there's no need to buy a testing kit as he will do it for free as you say every 6 months :D.as for the diet i understand what you are saying to me and will read the labels and not just pick it up and eat it .
thanks for the advice
regards Jeff

well i stopped taking my statins 4 weeks ago and the movement in my shoulders is jut starting to get bacxk to some where near normal though not fully regained full movement and still in some pain .the muscles in my lower back are the in the same state . going back to work on Monday so will see how things shape up then .
regards jeff:)

does any body know if there is a alternative to statins because after 3 weeks of taking ezetimibe the muscle pain are back again . had a big fall out with my gp the last time i visited him over not taking my cholesterol meds
. at the present i have a cholesterol lowering drink i drink cholesterol lowering milk eat plenty of oily fish .q10 every day . exerciseas often as possible

Jeff, I really think you are out of luck here. I took Zetia for years and finally they said it does no good at all! well shut my mouth - I wasted much, much $ on a sham! The only thing else that has been recommended to me is the supplement list written in my previous post. don't know if it helps at all, tho. not been tested in some time.

think you are out of luck. I took Zetia (the one that's sposed to work in the instestines). spent heaps and heaps of $ to get it. finally they tell me it does no good at all. well shut my mouth. wasted time/money. Even my drug plan stopped carrying it. I am ticked. the only thing recommended to me has been the supplements mentioned above.

well the doc wants me to try pravastatin (sodium) we will see if this is any improvement on the others i have tried usually takes about 3 week to make my shoulders ache :)

This may not help you right now, Jeff, but I brought my cholesterol down a few years ago with strictly making some simple changes to my diet. Let me try to remember what I did. I tried a combination of several things I'd read about.

I cut way back on fried foods, tried to avoid them almost entirely, and cut out butter on my morning toast. I switched to a really healthy bread with a combination of whole grains, a bit like thick sandpaper but I wanted to see what I could do with diet. (The bread seems pretty popular in the States and is called Ezekiel 4:9, an organic sprouted whole grain bread.) I ate more veggies. I also drank some green tea every day and ate a small handful of raw almonds. I think I took some Kyolic (brand) garlic pills too (an "aged garlic extract" combined with lecithin for cholesterol). My bad cholesterol dropped dramatically in just several weeks (nearly 50 points as I recall) and I dropped ten pounds also.

I've personally never been concerned with high cholesterol because my good cholesterol is always high also and I'm like a lot of other people born with a bicuspid aortic valve and have "clean arteries."

I'm not a medical professional, by any means.

But, for what it's worth, I recently read an article about cholesterol in a local newspaper, written by a retired veterinarian who is also somehow connected with the local hospital board. I found it interesting and here are some highlights:

He wrote about a "cholesterol myth," stating that it is, ". . . based on the lipid hypothesis created by Ancel Keys back in the 1950's. . ."

He states that doctors don't address the real cause of atherosclerosis, which he says, ". . . is the inflammatory reaction on the blood vessel lining (intima) caused by several factors as excessive blood glucose, elevated homocysteine, etc. Now the question to ask: Is it smarter to catch the horse before or after you open the barn door? It is more prudent to treat the inflammation in the blood vessel before cholesterol plaque is laid down. This can be done very economically and without dangerous drugs . . ."

He explains himself further and also states: ". . . The painfully slow to change medical profession is just now accepting that cholesterol test levels are not true indicators for heart attacks and strokes. Newer tests and more diagnostic indicators are C-reactive protein, fibrinogen, homocysteine and the VAP (Vertical Auto Profile) tests. The VAP test is a must for it tells the level of all types of cholesterol especially a very damamging one, the VLDL3 triglyceride. It is the prime indicator for progression of coronary artery disease, insulin resistance and type II diabetes. The most dangerous form of cholesterol, LDL, is subtype Lp(a) because it is the most inflammatory and thrombocitic. High levels of Lp(a) can increase the risk of heart attack up to 25X."

Now this was one of the most interesting parts of his article, to me: ". . . You hear about the dangers of the statins, which are real. Why then is it necessary for regular blood tests? To see if the statins are destroying your liver, that's why. The statins also cause muscle aches and pains; they destroy CoQ10 in all muscle cells. What is the hardest working muscle in the body? Answer: the heart muscle! Statistics show that after several years of taking statin drugs, there is a 60% increase of cardio myopathy (heart muscle failure). The cholesterol depleted the CoQ10, which is the energy source for the cells. The muscle cells, depleted of energy, have to work harder to do their job but then fail . . ."

It is a lengthy article and he expounds on several points and I'm trying to hit the most informative highlights and keep them within the context of the article.

He also says, ". . . Ask yourself, if cholesterol is so circulatory damaging, why do statistics show that 50% of heart attack/stroke victims have normal cholesterol and why do many elderly people have high cholesterol? . . ."

Throughout the article, he is evidently disgusted with the $13 billion a year "Big Pharma" ripoff, statin drugs, and mentions that a couple of times.

He says to address the high cholesterol problems you need to have a complete lipid profile done and if elevated tell your doctor you want the VAP test, which evidently can be expensive. If it is elevated sufficiently to concern your doctor, then, ". . . ask for a program to reduce cholesterol and triglycerides without statins. Here are some things to consider: a CoQ10 supplement, red rice yeast, policosanol, TMG (trimethylglycine), diet changes, vitamins B6 and B12, and exercise. All are less expensive and much less dangerous than statins . . ."

But he sums the article up with this: "I must leave you with the modern scientific knowledge that CHOLESTEROL DOES NOT CAUSE ATHEROSCLEROSIS. It is INFLAMMATION that can be controlled without lifetime expensive prescription drugs."

The ALL CAPS were his.

thank you very much for posting the article very interesting reading .after 1 week on the paravastatin my shoulder pain are back so i have decided to try CoQ10 supplement,and policosanol, :)

Back