multivitamin with vitamin K

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

ccrawford

My current multivitamin contains 17% of the daily requirement of vitamin K. Would I be better off switching to a vitamin with no vitamin K ? I understand that vitamin k and Coumadin are antangonists, but if I switched, would my liver have to work as hard, or would it make any difference ? Chris:confused: :confused:

Chris,

I think the question really is....Is your INR stable? If it is...don't change your vitamin. If you do change vitamins, make sure that you are tested for a couple of weeks to see how to adjust your warfarin/coumadin. I can't answer your question about liver function, but I know that I eat what I want...lots of green veggies because I love them and they're good for me. My Drs. have just adjusted my dose to my diet.

HTH

Kristy is right. If you stop the vitamin, your warfarin dose will have to be re-adjusted. Don't even skip the vitamins for a few days.

I've been taking a multi-vitamin since my surgery 3 1/2 years ago. It too has vitamin K and my Coumadin has been adjusted based upon my daily intake of this vitamin. Its way too difficult to find a multi that does not have "K". It was easier for me to ignore the vitamin and just concentrate on getting my INR in the proper range. Just don't forget to keep taking it daily.

Thanks but

Thanks but

Appreciated the replies, but I understand the importance of consistancy. My real question is does the liver have to work harder given a higher level of both vitamin K and Coumadin, or do they cancel each other out before the liver has to deal with it ?Chris

Just to be safe

Just to be safe

Appreciate all the help-I guess I asked a tough question. My reason for concern is that I take two types of BP meds, another med for Cholesterol, in addition to Coumadin. Obviously, my liver has to metabolize alot more than normal, and I was just trying to minimize the risks. To be safe, I think I'll try to find a vitamin without vitamin K, then adjust my coumadin dosage down. At the very least, I can enjoy fresh spinach salads a little more often. Now would be a good time to have home testing of INR - hope my insurance Co. approves it. Thanks-Chris

Chris

Chris

There is a multi-vitamin with NO vitamin K it "one a day" "women's"

There is another "one a day" for women that does have vitamin K in it you have to read the back label.

Allodwick also has another brand that has no Vit. K, on his website, I knew I could get the "one-a-day" vitamins at any drugstore.

Terry40

Chris -- all Pre-Natal vitamins have no vitamin K in them. Course the person checking you out might give you a 'doubletake.'

I agree we don't want to work our livers to death... I've read the faster or more efficient a liver metabolizes Coumadin, the higher dose a person needs -- makes sense to me.

Also heard/read somewhere where lovastatin in Lipitor causes kidney problems. Don't know though -- anyone out there know?

Thanks guys !

Thanks guys !

Next time I get to town, I'll check out the vitamins at the drug store, including the ladies vitamins-maybe I should cross dress that day ? You might check out the data sheet for Lipitor to see what it says about kidney damage - you can also do a search for "lipitor" or "lipitor side effects" which should give you something. Usually, your doc will require testing if you are in danger. i.e. I get a battery of blood tests every 6 months which includes a liver test. Nice to know this, especially if you happen to be fond of a certain Tennessee sippin whiskey. Chris

Update

Update

Got to town yesterday and checked out the vitamins. Picked up some CVS daily multiples for women that indeed have no vit K and have similar content to my centrum silver, except slightly reduced amounts of some components and higher iron. This should work fine. My cardio said that he thought it would be a good idea to elliminate all routine and un-needed sources of vit k just as a good practice, but of course don't stop eating your green veggies in a consistant manner. I'll probably start taking new vitamins about 4 days before next INR test, and reduce weekly dosage about 10% at that time in anticipation.Appreciate everyones help. Chris

Chris,

I take a multi from Purity Products that has no Vitamin K. It's a high quality product. Only drawback is that you have to order it directly from the manufacturer (it's not a multi-level marketing product) but then isn't that a small price to pay in exchange for not having to buy a "woman's"product? :) (please, no nasty e-mails ladies).

www.purityproducts.com

Paul

Followup

Followup

Thought I'd update you for whatever value there is. I purchased some ladies multivitamins that appeared to have close to the same content as my Centrum Silver, I started taking them five days before a planned protime test and did not alter my Coumadin dosage of 50 mg/week. My previous INR was 2.6. My INR (after stopping Centrum Silver) had increased to 4.3. Obviously the vitamin K in the Centrum silver was having some effect. Thanks for the web site address Paul, I'll check it out. I had already purchased these vitamins by the time you posted, so I'll use them up first - I got some grief buying these, but not too bad. My only problem is that when I get in the car I have this urge to check my makeup in the rear view mirror. Chris

You can probably find the same stuff in another bottle labeled, "For Men"

That's funny, Al.

For what it's worth: I was boring everyone at home here with coumadin tales, and my pregnant daughter said that all prenatal vitamins now contain Vit. K because it has something to do with processing either calcium or folate or both.

THEN I got hold of a snack food she eats - "Glenny's soy crisps" - and they brag about Vit. K content. From the package: "Based on recent medical research, the combination of calcium, Vitamin D., Vitamin K and Soy Protein is a nutritional powerhouse to keep bones healthy and strong." And this is indeed supplemented with Vit. K.

So I smell Vit. K being the next hot nutritional additive, now that folic acid has been added to everything and is no longer worth discussing. I can see where we'll have to throw out the old figures on Vit. K content because it'll be added to bread, milk, cereals, etc. ad nauseum.

I SAY THIS IS A PLOT BY BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIB TO FORCE US TO USE LARGER AND LARGER DOSES OF COUMADIN TO OFFSET THE ADDITIONAL VITAMIN K NEWLY CONTAINED IN FOODS.

Gee - Conspiracy Theory and VR.com - how scary is that?

Georgia

Vitamin K

Vitamin K

Chris-
Al is right, I just bought ONE A DAY FOR MEN yesterday
with no Vit. K. Have to read the labels though.
I stopped taking my Centrum with K 7 weeks ago right
before surgery. Haven't taken anything until yesterday
when I read somewhere about the One a Day for men
without Vitamin K.
Al

My cardiologist has had me take a Centrum Silver since my surgery (at 12% it is significantly lower in Vitamin K than the regular or "performance" Centrum that I taken in the past).
I take it daily with my Coumadin and my INR has been very steady over the past two years.
The biggest problem was the psychological impact of having to take the "silver" version, which made me feel old!

Mark

Latest posts

Back