MTB'er (NOT OURS) dies from Aneurysm during race

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got really scared when I saw the title of this thread. Sorry to hear about this young person but very happy it was not you. Maybe we could alter the title a little?;) :D :eek:

Geez, I never even thought about how that might look. Not sure what to change the title to except to add "not me".

mntbiker said:
Geez, I never even thought about how that might look. Not sure what to change the title to except to add "not me".
That would work but I think Ross might need to be the one to make the change. Maybe I am the only one who will react that way. I am on Medrol right now and it always makes me a little paranoid and I may over react to things.

Good heavens! I thought the same as Gina. Just took my breath away.

Such a sad thing to have happen to one so young.

I think the edit function can be used to change a title and anything else you wish to change with out any asssistance needed.

Again, glad to know you are Ok and sad to hear of your fellow biker.

Blanche

geebee said:
That would work but I think Ross might need to be the one to make the change. Maybe I am the only one who will react that way. I am on Medrol right now and it always makes me a little paranoid and I may over react to things.

Nope, Cindy and I both understood the title the same way you did Gina.

Glad you're O. K. David, but sorry to read this sad news about the young MTB.

unfortunately it wouldn't let me change the title. Maybe Ross will come along. Sorry for the confusion all, falls into the category of "listen to what I meant, not what I said". Looking back at the title I can see it as well.

It will let you change the title. When the first screen comes up, hit edit. When the second screen comes up, hit edit again. You can then use your back space to delete the title. If you provide a new title, the old one will be gone and a new one will be in its place.
Blanche

Blanche said:
Good heavens! I thought the same as Gina. Just took my breath away.

*nods*

Same here!

Even so ... very sad. Thoughts/prayers going to his family....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Death tore the pages all away" ... Kenney Chesney ... 'Who You'd Be Today'

geebee said:
I got really scared when I saw the title of this thread. Sorry to hear about this young person but very happy it was not you. Maybe we could alter the title a little?;) :D :eek:

Me too.
I checked the link, that last pic of how happy he was is amazing, I hope that gives his family some peace, Lyn

Oh MAN!

Oh MAN!

What a way to start the day!:(

I thought, the "Curse" strikes again.:eek:

All that paper work down the drain!:mad: Just kidding, but I am glad to see your okay.:D

Ben was living his short life to the fullest- What we all should do.:)

Checking the Aorta, Along with the Valve

Checking the Aorta, Along with the Valve

The abnormal aorta that killed him was there two years ago when he had valve surgery.

This should not have happened. It is the needless loss of a vibrant young man to a condition that is highly treatable but ruthless if not found and dealt with.

Those born with a bicuspid aortic valve, which is statistically the most likely but not the only reason why this can happen, must have their aorta looked at by physicians familiar with the aorta, not just the heart and its valves.

Anyone with BAV reading this, regardless of whether you have had valve surgery or not, regardless of the assurances of your physicians that everything is fine, should have yourself evaluated by someone who specializes in the aorta - there are not many of them, and they are typically surgeons. It doesn't mean you need surgery - it means you need someone who can properly image and measure your aorta and tell you where you stand.

Many of these deaths are recorded as massive heart attacks, so the real incidence of what happened here is not known.

Arlyss

This is an awful tragedy and my sincere condolences to this young man's family and friends.

This really put the wooleys up me. I had my BAV replaced in 2001 and returned to highy intenstity contact sport a short time later. At no point was my aorta ever mentioned as being a potential reason to cease playing. My understanding was that I had would have to stop playing when my valve degenerated severly.

The threshold (aorta) for high intensity sport is supposed to be 4cm. In 2oo6 it was brought to my attention that my ascending aorta was in fact 4.4cm and that it was no longer safe for me to continue with my sport.

The risk was never quantified and was described as extremely small. I have been torturing myself ever since about what the right decision would be.
I did stop immediately but returned to play on a couple of occasions as I felt I had stopped doing what I love for a very small risk.

This puts it all in perspective. I wonder was it a ruptured aorta which caused his death? If so, I wonder what size it was. Would this not be a more likely occurence for someone with marfan's?

Very sad to read.

Very sad to read.

Wow:(.

I didn't see it anywhere but does anyone know what kind of replacement valve he received? Was he a BAV?

Arlyss said:
The abnormal aorta that killed him was there two years ago when he had valve surgery.

This should not have happened. It is the needless loss of a vibrant young man to a condition that is highly treatable but ruthless if not found and dealt with.

Those born with a bicuspid aortic valve, which is statistically the most likely but not the only reason why this can happen, must have their aorta looked at by physicians familiar with the aorta, not just the heart and its valves.

Anyone with BAV reading this, regardless of whether you have had valve surgery or not, regardless of the assurances of your physicians that everything is fine, should have yourself evaluated by someone who specializes in the aorta - there are not many of them, and they are typically surgeons. It doesn't mean you need surgery - it means you need someone who can properly image and measure your aorta and tell you where you stand.

Many of these deaths are recorded as massive heart attacks, so the real incidence of what happened here is not known.

Arlyss

I agree. First, my condolences to his friends and family. Second, this scares the crap out of me. :eek: I bike 4 days/week. My cardio, etc. also say, everything if fine, however the more I research, there are definite links to aortic annurysms and disection (sp?) for those who have had valve replacements and Bicuspid valves. Do regular echos help or is there a special aorta test?

This does seem like something that could have been prevented. It would almost be impossible for him not to have had an anuerysm issue when he had his valve surgery. I hope there are some strong questions asked by his family.

Arlyss said:

Arlyss

Tragic news to read, Mountain Biker.
I see my cardio today, Arlyss, and the second question on my list is, "Since I have a BAV (replaced), should I have a CT-scan to view the entire aorta since I've never had one?"
First one is, "What's the significance of the dilated inferiour vena cava I keep reading on all my post-surgery reports.":(
I hope that there is no correlation between that and the BAV issue.
Thanks for pushing the issue; it's taken me this long to get around to asking the question.:)

geebee said:
This does seem like something that could have been prevented. It would almost be impossible for him not to have had an anuerysm issue when he had his valve surgery. I hope there are some strong questions asked by his family.

I remember during my pre-surgery consultation with my surgeon, I nevously-jokingly asked him to check out "everything" as long as he was in there. My surgeon cancelled my post surgery meeting due to an emergency (hope it wasn't an excuse) and his surgery aide told me everything else looked good and really gave me the impression that the worst was behind me, etc.

Now, upon reading this news and other research, it makes me reconsider how there is a "business" element to heart surgery. Fix the valve - $90K billed to insurance company - make 2:30 golf tee-time.

Is it then the cardiologist responsibility to follow up on these connective tissue disorders? Since I moved from Chicago to Sarasota area, I don't think my new cardio even has my old files. :confused:

My husband is not home right now or I'm sure he could provide some add'l info. And I apologize if my facts are a little off. I know that when he had his valve replaced, there was discussion between his cardiologist (fix the aneurysm now even though it doesn't appear urgent) vs the surgeon (let's just see what things look like and decide when we're in there). In the end, all agreed to fix the aneurysm during valve replacement. My husband would recommend both his cardio and his surgeon to all so please don't read the discussion about best course as a negative.

Again, I apologize - the expert in the house is not here right now - but I believe that the trend is to fix both during first surgery for several reasons. I hope this link works - -

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic942.htm

Latest posts

Back