MRI with On-X - all good

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGymGuy

Had my first MRI of my heart since surgery at a little under 9 month. The MRI went uneventfully. I brought this print out (http://www.onxlti.com/heart-valves/medical-professionals/mri-memo/) with me and told them my valve type and name (Aortic Valve by On-X)

Turns out, they googled the same link and came out with the same print out. The Machine was Tesla 2.5T I think and it did not need any special settings for the valve. My MRI took about 90 minutes and they used Gadolinium MRI contrast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRI_contrast_agent).

As usual with Heart MRI you take a bunch of deep breaths and hold for 7-10 seconds, etc.

Anyways, all went well, I wore my On-X ring to see if it warms up at all and it did not. My whole upper body was warmer after some time, but this was same as my 2 pervious MRI experiences prior to AVR (actually, these are known feeling if you are in the MRI tube). Valve kept on ticking quietly, though it was impossible to hear it due to loudness of MRI.

Just an update that you if you have a mechanical valve (no metal parts, mostly from carbon), which I think STJ, On-X, and ATS are made from, you will be safe in the MRI which can provide a great view of your internals should something needs to be looked.

BTW, Main reason I had this done is that I am starting to train for another competition in March and I might up intensity on my training quite a bit, so my surgeon and I wanted to make sure that all the parts are looking intact so far, that there are no other aneurysms showing and that heart muscle looks healthy. Everything checked out great, the ascending aorta looks nice and why wouldn't it, the whole things was replaced from root (root was reinforced with felt strip) and up to and including the hemi-arch, the heart function looked fine, the whole candy cane (whole aorta) looked very consistent size, so we are all good.

Train hard, play hard,
GymGuy

Good for you, Gym Guy! It's funny, I talked quite a bit with my cardiologist about how much should I exercise, and whether I should change my lifestyle or if it was ok to keep running, how high could I get my heart rate, etc. I got the impression many of his patients are not very active and maybe never have been. At first, he suggested I keep my heart rate at or below 70% of the recommended max rate for my age. He then calculated that and it was only 112 bpm! He then said maybe it was ok to get it up around 150. The one thing he was more concerned about was heavy weight lifting. You are a real life example of someone who is successfully pushing the limits! It is encouraging for us valvers to know what we can do!

Hi Gym Guy,

So good to your report! Congrats to you, and your efforts to keep us informed of your great progress.
Best of luck to your upcoming training for your next competition.

Rob

Thanks all. My main reason for post was to make sure that we Valvers or post-OHS patients know that one of the greatest tools (MRI) which has no side-effects unlike CAT-scans can be used on us without any fear (unless you are claustrophobic). In my opinion, echos and MRIs are two of the safest tools to use to look at our internals without invasiveness.

I always get CDs/DVDs of my tests and load them into Osirix software to look at myself and I have lots of great pictures to share. Alas this is a public forum and my internals are very private to me ;) I suppose I could share in the TAWDRY T-Shirt forum. It is quite fun to compare how things looks under CATscan or MRI pre and post surgery.

Vadim,

Thank you so much for your update, I've been thinking about you and I wondered how you've been doing -- sounds like you're doing great!!!

I go in for my 18 month follow-up this February (I also get a cardiac MRI - I requested this last year instead of the CT scan that was originally scheduled for me). I have a tissue valve, but I'm so happy to hear that the MRI is safe for the mechanical!

Keep up your amazing training!

Rachel

Hey Scott, I believe if you have on-x valve they send you an on-x ring for taking their survey. If it is too late to take a survey you can email them and ask if they would send you one anyways. These run true to size so if you wear a ring size 11 on you index finger, this is what you would ask for.

Back