MRI with mechanical valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetmarie

Having back problems along with severe spasms. My doctor's next move may be an MRI, had a catscan recently. She is wondering if there were any problems getting an MRI while the person has a metallic mechanical valve. In other words, could the valve cause false readings to the MRI? I realize that the portion of the scan will be lower back (lumbar) area, the area of the pain.
Anybody on this board have an MRI while having a mech. valve?

Thanks, SM

It is my understanding that the Leaflets in the Bi-Leaflet Mechanical Valves made in the USA are made of pyrolytic CARBON and Do Not contain any metal. Some use a (hopefully non-magnetic) metal ring to support the structure and sewing cuff.

Did you get a "Valve Card" from St. Jude? If not, call St. Jude and ask about Your particular valve.

MY St. Jude Card says "MRI COMPATIBLE" in LARGE RED LETTERS.

The contact number on my St. Jude Card is 1-800-344-5833.
I don't know if that number will work when called from Canada.

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks Al, checked my card I received following my surgery and no mention of MIR compatibility or not. There is however a 1-888 toll free number for inquiries. I tried it after hours just to see and the message was in english and french so this number works in Canada. I'll try on Tuesday, this being a long weekend in Canada.
And yes, it is a St-Jude model 25AHPJ-505.

I am encountering similar questions. I have St. Jude xxx.101 aortic and mitral valves, implanted in 1993. I have an ear problem that needs a detailed MRI for diagnostic purposes. The St. Jude letter gives limits on exposure when using a 3 Tesla GE scanner, which is apparently what my local hospital has in place. They told me that such a scan would require 45 minutes on their machine, and St. Jude places a 15 minute exposure limit, among other things.

I have been led to believe that more modern MRI machines may be able to get more information with less exposure. Has anyone had experience with the modern machines, and their limits?

I am encountering similar questions. I have St. Jude xxx.101 aortic and mitral valves, implanted in 1993. I have an ear problem that needs a detailed MRI for diagnostic purposes. The St. Jude letter gives limits on exposure when using a 3 Tesla GE scanner, which is apparently what my local hospital has in place. They told me that such a scan would require 45 minutes on their machine, and St. Jude places a 15 minute exposure limit, among other things.

I have been led to believe that more modern MRI machines may be able to get more information with less exposure. Has anyone had experience with the modern machines, and their limits?

I had an MRI done on august 12-2011 at a brand new hospital with, I assume, was a state of the art unit. Don't put your life on the line with what I will post but this is what I think I recall the tech telling me. She said that she would only use tesla 3 limit on me because of my St-Jude aortic valve. I believe she told me that tesla 5 was the maximum for the unit. Maybe they use tesla 3 and the scan last longer, I'm not sure. Anyway, the area in question was my lower back, total time in the unit I believe was about 20 minutes. Didn't feel a thing except got a bit warm, she turned up the ventilation fan and I was ok after that. I'm going back to that hospital in about a month, I can go back there and ask more questions if you like. Not sure when your MRI is?

Thanks for the response, Sweetmarie. It sounds like they are adhering to the limits set forth by St. Jude in their official letter, i.e. Tesla 3 and 15 minutes. The extra 5 minutes is probably no problem. I have no scan scheduled at this time, but my doctor is checking to see if Vanderbilt Hospital can do anything for me. I passed along all of my valve information this morning.

I'm glad to know that there was no serious discomfort.

As far as the 20 minute time, the total scan time was probably more like 15-17 mintues. There was some unit adjustemnts done between scans, you're also fitted with some headphones (to lower the noise) and so the tech can talk to you and you can respond (between scans) only. They will tell you when the scan starts (you can hear it, lol) and how long a certain scan will last eg: 2, 2 and half, 3 minutes, etc.
I had a hand held device to alert the tech if I had a problem.

Just a follow-up to give an update. I underwent an MRI of my head, with and without contrast, this afternoon at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, TN. My valves are St. Jude xxx.101 models, implanted in 1993. I took the St. Jude letter of limitations to the appointment, they took it and my valve ID cards, and checked out the requirements. The answer was "yes", we can do the scan. They did the scan with a Philips 3Tesla machine. They said that they were able to do the 2-part scan, requiring a total of about 45 minutes, because they are able to monitor the actual exposure. I took their word for this, and the scan went fine, with no discomfort except for the noise of the machine.

I have no idea of the results at this time, but thought others might have concerns similar to mine. Given the right facility and the right equipment, the scan can be done safely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back