Movement and clothing post-surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 10 mos out of surgery and remember this quite well. My after surgery nurse suggested imagining a box that only goes to the top of your head, down the shoulders and to the waist. No reaching above this or to the side either. As for at home attire, she suggested I wear very large t'shirts,( I wore my husband's XL) and this worked very well. They don't recommend button up shirts, so no reaching backwards. I also wore sweats as pants and slip on shoes, since I got pressure sores on both heals from the long surgery.
She actually showed me how to get dressed while I was still in the hospital.

When I had my surgery it was summertime, so it was easy to just get dressed into shorts and baggy t-shirts once I was discharged.
I remember the physio came on Day 1 post op and then every day after that. She showed me different exercises, and ways to move to accomplish things like dressing/drying yourself without putting strain on the sternum. Plus, like someone else said, I had a big folder full of information that the hospital gave me with lots of guidelines, tips and advice.

Latest posts

Back