Mortality and valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is good information. It's probably scary for newbies to read, but everyone with a heart valve potential should have the information. Knowing what to look for and spotting problems asap can save your life. Your families should also read this and other info. like it, just in case the patient is not conscious.

The faster you can recognize problems and get help from 911, in this case, or the ER in a lesser emergency, the better.

I've had some scary incidents with Joe, and getting him fast help probably saved his life.

It also points up the importance of having MedicAlert either necklace or bracelet with your info updated, plus a wallet card from them and your valve manufacturers.

Last edited:
Nancy - Do you know if Medic-Alert is worthwhile for those of us with a diagnosed valve problem but who have not undergone treatment? Specifically, I'm pre-surg, no meds other than prophylactic antibiotics, just the basics. Do you think it worthwhile to get the tags to alert EMT's of the valve "condition" even though I'm just under surveillance?

Yes, I do. Because your heart sound and beat might be a little different due to regurgitation, murmur, whatever, also your EKG and it will help the EMTs or doctors determine what the problem is.

I have all of Joe's conditions listed. It's not just for heart surgery, it's for all medical conditions, and you can update it when you get your valve.

Joe's medallion looks like the Bible on the head of a pin. LOL

Where can I purchase a medic alert bracelet/necklace, etc. I still havent received any card regarding my new valve. They never gave me anything like that at Duke. I know since I have this new valve and on Coumadin I need the bracelet and card.

Go on the main page an click on Heart Links. There are links for lots of important sites there including MedicAlert

good information, but ...

good information, but ...

I appreciate the information, but it scares the hell out of me. For some reason I thought my valve would probably last me the rest of my life. To my surprise when I had my echo three weeks ago, the tecnician asked me how long my valve would probably last. I knew she was surprised, when this look of shock settled on my face. I told her, "I thought it would probably last me the rest of my life." I am realizing now, that will probably not be the case. She did say with my conditioning, I had a heart like a child, and pointed out somethings that you only see in young children. I'm hoping all the excercising will help me get through the next surgery when and if that day comes.
Well why worry. Like Les Barrett told me on the phone, " I would rather wear out then rust out." I think I got that right Les!

Think all go fix me a stiff drink after reading that article.
Mark

Phil/medic alert

Phil/medic alert

Great site, a little scarey though!:eek:

This place is great for introducing new site for info,
"way to go guys"!!!

I ordered my medic alert bracelet ASAP after surgery, it's been on now for weeks, you can order it on-line, by phone, or by mail, and you can update info or change info by phone or on-line, I've already done that.

You don't have to spend a fortune on it either, I got the stainless steel one, it's fine!!!

Terry40

Last edited:
Phil,
Very informative but scary! I was informed mine would last my lifetime! There are times when ignorance is bliss. From what I read, the aortic valve failure means sudden death. At least it's sudden and I won't suffer!
:(

We just bought Jerry's medic alert necklace at our local pharmacy. It was only 5 bucks or less. Now if he would just wear it! He thinks it gets in his way because he's so active. A bracelet would be even worse. At least he's diligent about keeping all his info in his wallet.

Hi Everyone,

Phil.... Great Link... Thanks so much for the information. It's a keeper that I have saved to "My Favorites", and I also have copied and saved it to a Word document for my files.

Thought I would share my thoughts on a medical alert medallin or bracelet. I have and wear every day a gold medallin medical alert. It is extremely stylish, and is on a gold chain. I didn't want to be wearing something that made / makes me feel like a hospital patient for the rest of my life. However, I did want something that would alert a medic of my condition in the event of a life threatening injury.

My thinking on this is that the medics usually open your shirt to check your heart, etc, Well, The scar should be an immediate tipoff that I had open heart surgery, and they will also see the medical medallin with all my medical information on the back of it. ie: Coumadin, Atenolol, and allergies. I also carry a more detailed card in my wallet, and have a duplicate in the visor of my car.

Anyway, my point is, There are plenty of nice looking pieces of jewelry that are medical alert pieces. I don't really know how important it is to have the ones that you are registered with, and a phone number. I opted for the choice I described above.

I think a medical alert emblem should be with everyone who is on Coumadin. I just don't want to feel like a hopsital patient on a day pass.

Rob

Last edited:
I am sorry that this link was so brutal with stats. As some of you know, my heart valve problem was due to a dentist that said I didn?t need to pre-medicate for my MVP. The dentist and I are down to the wire (Feb 21st) for a jury trial. These stats have been thrown in my face several times over the past 3 years.

In preparing for trial, both sides have hired approx 12 experts on standard of care, causation and prostatic heart valves. One thing all the experts say is that I will need at least more one heart valve replacement in the next 15 years. This information has caused me a great deal of mental grief.

I deal with these facts the best I can and some days handle it good and on others handle it bad. As the saying goes, a person should be able to ?make lemons into lemonade? which I do, I just can't seem to find the sugar.

I know that all of you can relate to what I am trying to say. Thank you for listening.

Phil

My thinking on this is that the medics usually open your SKIRTto check your heart,
Lord Rob, I hope you don't wear a skirt! :D

Phil, while it may be brutal in facts, we all need to realize these things and it helps to know. Knowledge is power for all of us.
Thanks for posting it no matter how it makes us feel. ;)

Hi Ross,

YIKES!!!! Thanks for the heads-up on that!! Spelling never was my strong suit.

So glad this site allows for "edit" corrections. :rolleyes:

Phil, I agree with Ross. "It's better to know your demons, than not" Your information was extremely useful to me.

Rob... Still Looking for my..er..... SHIRT!!!!

Phil

Phil

Don't apologize, it's food for thought, and most of us thought the mechanical valves would last a lifetime!

It's funny you mention Dentist, before they would schedule my mitral valve replacement surgery I had to be surgically cleared by my family dentist, He admired the hospital/surgeon who recommended this, and stated it's the first time he ever had to do this, I was due for my 6 month check-up anyway, they always ask at least 3 or 4 time if I pre-medicated (antibiotics) before they do any type of procedure.

Your Dentist was sooo wrong!

I better watch my Ps & Qs if my spelling is being checked, I haven't found the spellcheck on this site, if there is one?!?

Terry40

Last edited:
Thanks Ross

Thanks Ross

Now I have no excuses for misspelling

Terry40

Latest posts

Back