More GAS -- another meter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
In another thread, it was suggested that I had what some photo buffs call Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).

I probably do.

Last year, I went out searching for the most accurate meter, in response to a TIA that I had that was due, at least to some major extent, to my trust of my old meter's accuracy (and to my low supply of strips). A 2.6 on my old meter was a 1.7 and 1.8 after I went to the hospital with a TIA. I don't EVER want my ACTUAL INR to be below 2.0 -- and if so, for only a day or two at most.

I evaluated InRatio, InRatio 2, CoaguChek XS, ProTime and ProTime 3 and Coag-Sense against a hospital lab that had tests that I actually have a fair amount of confidence in. The meter testing was done weekly (ProTime meters weren't tested weekly - in part because the testing was more of a pain than it was with the other meters). I had monthly blood draws, and correlated the InRatio 2, CoaguChek XS and Coag-Sense to the lab results. (In honesty, I didn't have the XS during all this comparison testing).

I wanted to also try the HemoChron Signature, which is supposedly used in Operating Rooms during surgery, so should be the most accurate, but wasn't quite able to get one that was not already locked out and required a user ID and password (meaning that it was unusable for me).

My conclusions were that the InRatio and InRatio 2 were both reporting values that were too much above the lab values that I didn't want to use them. (My concern is that a 2.0 on an InRatio would be more like a 1.6 or 1.7, and that confidence in the meter for stroke avoidance would be misplaced). The XS was easy to use, and sometimes reported only slightly higher than the Coag-Sense and the lab.

My ultimate choice was the Coag-Sense, in large part because it reported results that were either very close to the lab results or slightly lower (by .1 or .2). In my mind, if I had a 2.1 or 2.2 reported by the Coag-Sense, this may mean that the actual INR was 2.3 or higher -- keeping me out of risk of TIA. The Coag-Sense became my meter of choice. I pretty much stopped using the XS, and I haven't tested with the InRatio or InRatio 2 in many months.

But now, about my Gadget Acquisition Syndrome -- I recently got the opportunity to get a CoaguChek XS Plus. This is the model that is probably in use in some clinics and doctor offices (although the basic XS probably works just fine for most clinics or doctors). This model has an infrared interface, so you can connect it to a computer that had the right software. It has administrative features. It stores 1000 tests. In short, it has many more features that a lab or clinic may desire. I had an inkling that, although this model uses the same testing technology as the 'patient' model, it may take accuracy just a small step further. I now have an XS Plus.

On Wednesday, my Coag-Sense reported an INR of 3.1. The next day, after I got the XS Plus, the XS Plus reported an INR of 3.5. Obviously, INRs aren't stable and could (and do) change from day to day. I'm not surprised that the two meters didn't agree, or that the XS Plus reported a higher value -- but I didn't do a parallel test with the Coag-Sense, so I don't know if the results would have matched or not.

On Monday, I'll make my quarterly trip to the Anticoagulation Clinic (I convinced them that, with adequate self-monitoring, I really didn't NEED to waste my time and money going for monthly visits). On that day, they'll probably use their Hemochron to test my INR. Within an hour of that test, I'll test with Coag-Sense and CoaguChek XS Plus and may have a better idea about how all three (assuming that the Hemochron is lab accurate) correlate. If my fingertips are up to it, I may even take my XS out of mothballs and test on it, too. (Ideally, all four meters will match exactly -- this would be as surprising as a thunderstorm here in L.A. on that same morning)

I'll report these values some time next week.

Right. I wasn't sure if the XS also did that. I'm not sure where/if you can get the software for either model of the XS. I keep a condom over the IR port on my laptop to discourage this type of communication between devices.

I'm not sure where/if you can get the software for either model of the XS.
I expect that it only allows bulk download of the data ... but I'm not entirely sure.

I write mine onto my spreadsheet on the day anyway :)

I keep a condom over the IR port on my laptop to discourage this type of communication between devices.

I use tinfoil myself, IR can get through condoms (can't be too sure you know) ... makes a nifty hat for when I'm thinking stuff I don't want the NSA to know on other occasions too

;-)

I can't find tin foil anywhere -- around here, it's all aluminum.

I suspect that the IR is probably for clinicians (because Roche undoubtedly realizes that the XS is also used by doctors and clinics) although the XS has no way of indicating WHICH patient had WHICH test.

I also log EVERY test, so the ability to transfer results to my meter is unnecessary. Still, Roche probably also realizes that many clinics and physicians will avoid paying $800-1000 more for a meter that gives them more manageability, so it offers the less expensive alternative that patients and clinicians can often afford.

I would not be surprised if the software for the Plus - although it uses some open source code - is probably pretty darned expensive.

Hm. I have an IR receiver somewhere. Maybe I should have a look at the data. I guess the protocol is pretty simple and probably without much security built in, so it should be possible to decode it and have the measurements automatically logged.

Hm. I have an IR receiver somewhere. Maybe I should have a look at the data. I guess the protocol is pretty simple and probably without much security built in, so it should be possible to decode it and have the measurements automatically logged.

If I had a Microsoft C compiler I could probably bash up something that would address the IR port on my laptop I could probably start something crude to interrogate it and capture the data (were I inclined). My laptop binds with the IR port but doesn't know what to say ... just like a teenage boy on his first date ;-)

I don't think it would provide me with anything useful, so as I have other development projects on shelves I don't devote time to that ...

:)

It will probably just give the values that we already see in the display, but it would be interesting to see if one could get something else as well. Either a more precise number (IE 2.27 instead of 2.3) or maybe some debug information like how the measurements are done, the certainty of the results, any environmental influence (temperature, humidity and so on). It is a long shot, but could be interesting.

@Protime, I cannot wait to see your results from next Wednesday test.
@Ola and @pellicle, I would contribute to your code if you started writing some software for the IR port on your COagucheck XS. Throw it on the GitHub and I will pull and see what I can help with.

Throw it on the GitHub and I will pull and see what I can help with.

awww ... sheet ... now you're making me feel guilty for being a slackarse ...

I'll prescribe myself a beer and try to see if I can muster the energy to find the installs for MS C++ for my museum grade OS (yes, don't tell anyone I'm using win2K on this laptop in Finland)

The IR is apparently being used for bidirectional communications between computer and meter. The software is used for administrative and management tasks, in addition to just recording results. My test at the clinic is tomorrow (Monday). Presumably, they'll be using the Hemochron, which gives rapid results.

If I get the time/nerve, I'll see if the Roche XS management software may be available at little or no cost. (It IS using Open Source code, so it MAY HAVE TO be a no charge package).

Funny, I made a comment about a thunderstorm on Monday. It's raining here in Northridge tonight. I'll let you all know what each meter reveals after I get back home from the clinic.

Sorry -- here's the update:

The clinic used a Hemochron and got a 3.4.

When I got home a few hours later, for some reason, the blood gushed from my finger when I incised it. (I had some wine with lunch, and did the testing shortly after lunch). My Coag-Sense gave me a 2.3. The CoaguChek XS Plus recorded a 3.2 (but this was what might be considered a second or third drop -- something closer to venous than to blood that may have some coagulants from the skin).

The clinic trusts their Hemochron - so I am slightly surprised by the difference from both the XS Plus and the Coag-Sense (although the 'second drop' issue with the XS Plus may be a factor). I'll do a parallel test on Monday with the XS Plus, the Coag-Sense, and maybe also the XS.

(The last blood draw was on January 14. At that time, the lab gave me a 2.78 and the Coag-Sense recorded a 2.6, not at all inconsistent with its fairly regular results that are slightly below the lab results).

The most interesting/distressing thing that I took away from the clinic was their change in 'normal' range for a person (like me) with a single mechanical AVR. They changed the range to 2.0-3.0, instead of the previous range of 2.5 - 3.5. The reason that this distresses me is that it's possible - if not even LIKELY - that some self-testers will accept 2.0 from their meters, while the actual INR is closer to 1.7 or 1.8. Some meters fairly consistently report INRs that are higher than the lab results. I'd hate to see self testers, comfortable in the strong 'knowledge' that their meters are correct and that their INRs are at the bottom of their range ACTUALLY having strokes because the TRUE INR was closer to 1.6 or 1.7. I'm speaking from experience here. I really don't think that there's much risk of excessive bleeding or hemorrhage with an INR between 3.0 and 3.5, but DO think that there can be substantial risk of an adverse event with a 'recorded' INR of 2.0.

I told the clinic about my concerns, but they told me that I'm probably their only self-testing patient, and they didn't seem to be concerned with the risks involved.

Scary.

Thanks for the update!

It's interesting what you wrote about INR ranges. When I met my surgeon last week, he said he would recommend an INR of 1.8 to (I don't remember) for a St. Jude's valve. That was in response for my question to him about the On-X valve.

With all the stress and confusion involved between lab and monitor test results comparisons is more than I can deal with.:rolleyes2:
Punctured fingers and a vein puncture once a month--tears hair out!:eek2:
Sounds like lots of fun though.

Last edited:
1.8 for a St. Jude's Valve? It's possible that the newer valves (mine is from 1991) are designed to reduce the risk of clot formation. It may actually be safe to have an INR below 2.0 for the NEWER generation valves. Still, a 1.8 on a meter may actually be a 1.5 in the lab -- and could still put you at risk.

One of the problems is that the clinics or doctors hear 'St. Jude' and don't consider that there were many models, and that the newer ones are probably safer than the earlier ones that were probably more risky for clot formation. It's kind of like hearing the word 'Chevrolet' and prescribing Unleaded. They don't realize that pre-1974 Chevrolets COULDN'T take unleaded -- if they ran at all, it would destroy their valves. Before a doctor (or a gas station, for that matter) makes some blanket range suggestions, it's important that this wealth of knowledge would ask WHICH valve it was or WHEN it was implanted. Not all risks for any particular brand are the same.

And Lance (what a great name for a guy who will tear his hair out if his finger is lanced too often), more frequent testing is not a lot of fun, but not all that much of a problem, either. My goal was to find a meter that provides the most accurate -- or at least the safest results, for me. I had a TIA in 2012 partially because I trusted the accuracy of my meter, and I wanted to be sure that it didn't happen to me again -- or to any other valver.

(Remember NovembINR? This person tested EVERY DAY. Fingers heal pretty quickly. The incisions aren't all that bad. And with a good phlebotomist, a blood draw is almost a non-issue)

Latest posts

Back