More Dental Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granbonny

Yesterday.....4 Amox's 1 hour before..Deep cleaning by Peridontist. NO numbing..with needle Aren't I the brave one:eek: :eek: :eek: Very little bleeding..So, those of you wondering about staying on or off coumadin..this may help. Now I do have a loose tooth that will probably need to come out..back, no good..but if I need extraction, will have to ask about coumadin:confused: Maybe it will just fall out while I'm asleep:D :D Bonnie

Hi Bonnie,
I have to get two teeth yanked next month and they told me to stop Coumadin three days before. Am checking into that because I only had to stop one day before my second AVR. If you find out anything, let me know...I'm checking with my primary doc as well as the oral surgeon. I guess I'll compare notes and just average the two!
Take care...
Les

Les,

I think I would also want to get my CARDIOLOGIST's opinion before stopping Coumadin.

Granbonny,

Where did you find such a SADIST for a Dentist? I just had a deep cleaning because of some food that had wedged in my gums. Unfortunately, after taking the 4 Amoxicillin capsules on an empty stomach I got VERY sick, threw up several times and generally felt LOUSY for 2 days. It's still not clear if I also went into Low Blood Sugar or had an untimely 'bug'. When I went back for a filling, I spread out my Amoxicillin. My pharmacist recommended taking 2 about 2 or 3 hours before, then the other 2 one hour before, and to be sure to EAT something with them. No problems.

'AL'

Oh yes-

I agree with Al. Get your cardiologist's approval on the Coumadin hold for 3 days. That's going to drop you way low into the scary range.

My Choice

My Choice

Not to get off coumadin..I had eaten before I took the 4 at one time 1 hour before....She asked me last month before she did one side if I could bear the pain and I told her yes..but yesterday I did moan once and she said she was sorry:D but she was very quick..about 45 min. on top and bottom. Heck, yes, it hurt but I just wanted it over. Should see my pearlies..NO tartar or plaque..Will start going every 3 months. Saw my pcp today and told him I was brave..He laughed and said the Peridonist was brave too doing it with me on coumadin..:D :D My life, my decision:) :) Bonnie

LES BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

LES BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Les, please do check on that 3-day no Coumadin instruction, because it sounds quite risky to me. :eek:

Now that we are urged by the FDA not to use Lovenox injections during our downtime with the Coumadin....my cardiologist will hospitalize me for any invasive procedures and pop me on the Heparin. This will cover until hours before the given procedure. This includes teeth. Not that I am planning to have any pulled. Actually when we are taking about the possibility of a stroke or worse...I have no problem sitting around that IV pole.

ADA INR Chart

ADA INR Chart

Hi all,

I posted a link to this chart about a month ago, but it looks like we need it here on the forum.

This chart shows the relative safety of dental procedures based on a patient's INR. If you have any questions regarding this chart, please don't hesitate to ask me as I'm working in a dental office.

Kristy,
Thanks for posting the chart again. I printed it out for my wife to take into her dental office, but I had no idea where to look for it after that.

American Dental Assn Guidelines

American Dental Assn Guidelines

There is an excellent thread (Started by Kristy W on 11-04-2002 on the Coumadin Forum) that speaks to the issue of holding warfarin/Coumadin and dental extractions. Kim stated that she had a wisdon tooth extracted and did not hold Coumadin. Al Lodwick replied:

Kim,
Your procedure wad done according to American Dental Association guidelines. In an article in 2001 they cite a number of patient deaths when taken off warfarin for simple procedures such as one extraction. The inconvenience of bleeding 36 hours is nothing compared to this.

I consulted on a malpractice case where the dentist had a patient stop warfarin for one extraction. The patient had a stroke in the dental chair. We were able to get the case dropped because it happened just before this guideline was published. Today stopping warfarin for one tooth extraction would be indefensible in court if the patient had a stroke."

Hope this helps.

Blanche

Since my valve surgery Iv'e had a tooth extracted and also biopsies twice for another little problem.
For all these procedures the doctor and the oral surgeon talked with my cardiologist as to what should be done.
In each case it was stop the Coumadin for three days prior to the procedure.
I guess I was fortunate not to have any problems.
I have never stopped it for regular teeth cleanings and it has not been a problem either.
I do beleive it is important to get at least two cleanings a year.
It makes it easier and there is less chance of an infection forming that might end up in your heart.

Latest posts

Back