More coumadin ignorance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnusgal

:rolleyes:

I know it's been awhile since I've stopped by, but try keeping up with 6 month old twins and a dozen message boards and see how you do. ;)

I've got some twinless time on my hands (explanation to come), so I thought I'd jump on and see what's been going on. But first I have to vent some frustration over people's general ignorance when it comes to coumadin.

Wednesday I had a blood draw that showed an INR of 6.1. I did not get these results until Thursday, so I skipped my Thursday dose, with plans to take half doses on Friday and Saturday (my plan, not doc's). Unfortunately, I landed in the ER on Friday (story for another post). My INR came back at 5 (so after ONE missed dose it went down 1.1). Not only did they hold my Friday night dose, but they also gave me a Vit. K pill. This morning my INR came back at 2.5. Um, I TOLD them I'd drop like a rock. And I'm pretty sure that the dose they give me tonight is not going to have any effect on tomorrow's reading, which will be low. I just pray they don't think that means they need to give me more tomorrow night. :rolleyes: Ugh! Why don't people listen to me when I say I drop like a rock when I skip a dose???

Wednesday I had a blood draw that showed an INR of 6.1. I did not get these results until Thursday, so I skipped my Thursday dose, with plans to take half doses on Friday and Saturday (my plan, not doc's). Unfortunately, I landed in the ER on Friday (story for another post). My INR came back at 5 (so after ONE missed dose it went down 1.1). Not only did they hold my Friday night dose, but they also gave me a Vit. K pill. This morning my INR came back at 2.5. Um, I TOLD them I'd drop like a rock. And I'm pretty sure that the dose they give me tonight is not going to have any effect on tomorrow's reading, which will be low. I just pray they don't think that means they need to give me more tomorrow night. :rolleyes: Ugh! Why don't people listen to me when I say I drop like a rock when I skip a dose???

:rolleyes: Because they're the medical "experts," and we're only patients. :rolleyes:

Why do you think so many people take over their own care? You get a bit tired of it after a while and it seems the whole world is full of uneducated nitwits posing as doctors.

Just as I suspected, I'm down to 1 this morning. :rolleyes: At least this time the on call cardiologist came to me and asked what dose I thought I should get today. She wasn't the one that ordered the vit. K or skipping the dose (that was the ER doc and hospitalist), so I'm grateful that she's on my side.

i am really grateful that, for the most pert PART, the hospital staff where i go is fairly knowledgeble - especially when i tell them i elf-yest - AH, SELF-TEST, and self-dose.

Last edited:
Now the only thing standing between me and the exit is this stupid INR issue. Which wouldn't have happened had I stayed home and dealt with it myself. :p

Last week when I home tested, my INR was 4.7.

To me it was no biggie & I knew exactly what I was going to do, BUT, since I am now on Medicare, & one of their requirements is that I HAVE to call in my reading directly to QAS (where I purchased my monitor & buy my test strips from) then if the reading is outside of my target range, they will in turn transfer me directly to my cardio's office!!! Grrrrrr! So of course, my cardio's nurse said, you're gonna have to skip a full dose tonight, & then resume the normal dose & re-check in a week. I did not argue with her; I said very politely, "okay, I'll do just that!"

When I hung up with her, I said, BS :rolleyes:.....I am just going to cut my dose in 1/2 tonight, take another 1/2 dose tomorrow & then resume my normal & check it next Friday. When I checked it Friday it was 2.7!!!! Yippy ya yay!!!! Sometimes you've got to do what works for you & do what you think is right!!!!

And on the advice of a good friend on this forum, the next time I check my INR & if it's NOT within my target range, I WILL make sure to give them a GOOD number ;) :D so that I don't get hassled!!!!! :p

Live & learn!!!! :)

Had a similar problem once at VA. They were not suppose to check INR for they don't control it. But they run it with other blood work and showed around 6. They panic and started to give me a VK shot. I flat refused the shot! That was before I home tested so I agreed to get it tested at my cardiologist. It tested ok.
So many medical people can't be trusted when it comes to INR control.

I HAVE to call in my reading directly to QAS (where I purchased my monitor & buy my test strips from) then if the reading is outside of my target range, they will in turn transfer me directly to my cardio's office!!!
NJean, I always call after hours if I'm out of control. ;)

Had a similar problem once at VA. They were not suppose to check INR for they don't control it. But they run it with other blood work and showed around 6. They panic and started to give me a VK shot. I flat refused the shot! That was before I home tested so I agreed to get it tested at my cardiologist. It tested ok.
So many medical people can't be trusted when it comes to INR control.

NJean, I always call after hours if I'm out of control. ;)

Now that's a thought too!!!! :D ;)

They just brought me a lovenox shot. Since it's every 12 hours, that means I'll have to take my next one at 4 AM??? Could they not plan this a little better? These people suck.

At least the hospitalist does seem to be willing to send me home on lovenox instead of keeping me until I'm back in range. That's a relief.

Last week when I home tested, my INR was 4.7.

To me it was no biggie & I knew exactly what I was going to do, BUT, since I am now on Medicare, & one of their requirements is that I HAVE to call in my reading directly to QAS (where I purchased my monitor & buy my test strips from) then if the reading is outside of my target range, they will in turn transfer me directly to my cardio's office!!! Grrrrrr! So of course, my cardio's nurse said, you're gonna have to skip a full dose tonight, & then resume the normal dose & re-check in a week. I did not argue with her; I said very politely, "okay, I'll do just that!"

When I hung up with her, I said, BS :rolleyes:.....I am just going to cut my dose in 1/2 tonight, take another 1/2 dose tomorrow & then resume my normal & check it next Friday. When I checked it Friday it was 2.7!!!! Yippy ya yay!!!! Sometimes you've got to do what works for you & do what you think is right!!!!

And on the advice of a good friend on this forum, the next time I check my INR & if it's NOT within my target range, I WILL make sure to give them a GOOD number ;) :D so that I don't get hassled!!!!! :p

Live & learn!!!! :)
every now and then i give them an out of range number just so they think i'm doing it right. my doc has never called me - our deal is that i'll call if i need help.

I don't report to anyone. Every now and then a doc will ask what my INR is and I just give them a made up number off the top of my head to keep them satisfied.

We own our machine and don't report to anyone. Our doctor is quite happy to let us take care of our own business. If we have a concern, we can call him at the office or at his home. If we need something, his office is about a half of mile from our home.

Blanche

We own our machine and don't report to anyone. Our doctor is quite happy to let us take care of our own business. If we have a concern, we can call him at the office or at his home. If we need something, his office is about a half of mile from our home.

Blanche

I never had to report my readings to anyone either Ms. Blanche since I bought the machine in 2006. But now, since Medicare will be paying for the strips & supplies, I HAVE TO call in the results to QAS every time I test. If the reading is out of range, as it was last Friday, they immediately patch me over to my cardio's office for adjustment! :rolleyes:

I know better for next time though! Anything between 2.5 - 3.5 will work just fine! :D

Latest posts

Back