Monday 7/29

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SuperDragon

Hey everyone...

Today Ross was not yet on the trach tube, although he is supposed to be put on it tonight. He is sedated and on paralyzer medicine still. His oxygen level has improve a little and they have the ventilator giving him bigger and deeper breaths, and his lungs appeared to look fuller on the x-ray, according to his nurse. The doctor that looked at the x-rays had no comment so there's nothing else wrong or bad right now.

More tomorrow.

Steve

P.S.

P.S.

Basically the reason why he is still in the hospital is because of his lung diseases not helping his lungs. His lungs are the holdback right now. I'm sure he told you all about his smoking and stuff, so I won't delve into that.

Hi Steve-

Thanks for the update. It sounds as if there's a wee bit of improvement. It's so good to hear that his oxygen level is up and his lungs are filling out.

Wishing you and your family peace as you go through this difficult time.

Take care,

Thanks Steve for all your efforts. So glad to hear there is some improvement with your Dad.....tell him we're still out here praying for and thinking of him. Hopefully there will be improvement every day from here on out.....thanks again for all your posts, we do rely on them!!!

Regards to your Dad from....Evelyn and Tyce

Just wondering if anyone understands the reason for going to the trach as opposed to continuing on the respirator?

Hank, can you enlighten us?

Last edited:
Our prayers are with Ross and his family. Steve, thanks for the updates. We all feel so helpless at times like this, but I'm sure he's in good hands there. At times like this, we can only appreciate good souls like him so much more.

Steve,

Sending out a wave of fresh prayer from Fort Worth Texas for Ross.

Chad

Tracheostomy and Trache Tubes

Tracheostomy and Trache Tubes

I can surely enlighten you.

Patients are moved to a trache tube for a couple of reasons (there are more, but these are the two main reasons):

1st - The patient's upper airway (back of the mouth, larnyx, etc) are somehow comprimised and need to be bypassed in order to facilitate proper airflow, both while on a ventilator and after being removed from the ventilator.

2nd - The doctors foresee the patient being on the ventilator for an extended period of time. There are less complications with a trache tube and it is easier for the medical staff to manage. It is also musc preferrable to the patients that I have talked to. A tube below your view and out of your mouth can be much more comfortable.

These are the main indications and advantages.

The disadvantages are as follows:

1st - The patient will have a little round scar in their neck just below their adams apple for the rest of their life.

2nd - This is usually a sign that the patient will be on a ventilator longer than originally thought. It is however by no means a sign that the patient will not make a total and complete recovery as is most often the case.

Gone will be the gagging reflex when the paralytics are cut back, and the road to recovery is most often successfully traveled after this procedure.

It is a serious development, but most definately not something that cannot be quickly overcome.

My prayers are there with you and at this point, I see no reason why he can't be ready to be as good as ever in due time.

Please feel free to ask any further questions that I may be able to help with.

Now if we could just explain valve surgery as eloquently. There would be much less apprehension. ;)

My thoughts and prayers are with you Ross. Be strong! God is by your side. He will guide you home.

Hurry back. You are greatly missed.

Thanks for the updates on your dad

Thanks for the updates on your dad

I check daily to see how your dad is- thank you for your time to let everyone know.
As always -my thoughts & prayers are there- Debbie

Steve, I'm glad to see you continuing to be strong in the face of this stressful situation. Ross is in my thoughts all the time now, and I continue to pull for his recovery. Based on Hank's explanation, it sounds like the trache tube could provide your dad with the comfort margin he needs to relax and get better.

I too experienced severe pulmonary complications after my surgery and was on the ventilator for 8 days. The way my doctors got me to relax was by using sedatives. The ICU nurses said the docs wanted me "snowed" so I would relax and let my lungs drain. Without the drugs, I would thrash, try to pull the tube out, and scribble notes for them to take it out.

With the drugs, I relaxed, got better, and the best part is I don't remember any of it.

Keep the faith...we're pulling for you all.

Johnny

I've been thinking all day about how intertwined the heart and lungs are. Many of the folks here have had problems with both. The nature of heart disease itself can cause lung problems, with fluid buildup caused from CHF, scarring from various surgeries, pulmonary hypertension secondary to heart malfunction and I'm sure many other problems.

My husband had to have 2 lung surgeries, and one was not even from heart problems. It was from a benign tumor. He had to have part of the lower lobe removed. The other lung surgery was from scarring of unknown origin which had partially collapsed his lung. He also suffers from secondary pulmonary hypertension and CHF.

And he never smoked a day in his life.

Ross's heart problems have been difficult for a long while, it's no mystery that his lungs are involved also, since the two go hand in hand.

I pray the trach tube will help him to achieve the inner peace needed to heal from all of this.

It was good to see your post Johnny, regarding your own battle with pulmonary problems. And here you are as shiny as a bright new penny!

Hi Steve,
Thank you so much for all the updates. It really means a lot to us here at VR.com because your father means the world to us, I know we all check daily for updates and we're all praying for your dad and family. As always my thoughts and prayers are with you. Take Care and God Bless.

Latest posts

Back