Mohs surgery behind me!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Yesterday I spent the day in the Duke Cutanous Oncology Center for Mohs surgery.

For those unfamilar with this surgery, it is surgery for skin cancer, other than melanoma, that is done in stages.

Stage one is where all the visible cancer is removed and the patient goes back to the waiting room (usually 45 minutes to an hour) while the speciman is prepared and examined under the microscope. It is computer mapped and the next stage is planned to take out only cancer and no good tissue.

When this is done, the patient (in this case me) is called back in and additional tissue is removed. And the process is once more repeated.

Sometimes, but not very often, it is done in one stage but it can go on up to ten.

I had to go back in three times before I was pronounced clear.

At that point you wait in the waiting room until your turn comes for your consultation over the options for repair and reconstruction. It can be anywhere from just letting it heal on it's own or simple stiching, to skin grafts, flaps, or resections.

At this time is when you get to study your face in a hand held mirror while the surgeon draws in purple to show the possibilites.

He said mine was difficult and my options were limited because of the location. It involved both the red part of my lip and the skin above it. For me he ended up making some incisions and re-aligning the edges. It is like a cross with the horizonal incision following my right lip line. I think it is rather remarkable the way it came together.

The cancer was squamous cell but the good news is that it seems they got it all. I meet with the surgeon again next Tuesday and then we will discuss if anything else needs to be done. The cancer developed in sun damaged skin of which I have plenty.

I did not come off coumadin and other than bleeding during the procedure, I have not had a problem with bleeding or even excessive bruising.

Sounds great. So are you happy with the results then?

I'm glad to hear they got it all. So often, that's not the case.

Congratulations!

Betty,
Sounds like you are doing OK, I bet you are glad that is behind you.
It is good to hear they have got it all.
Take Care

Good news, Betty. Margins are clear, incision came together well. I'm glad it's all behind you. And I hope it heals beautifully.

God Bless.

Hi Betty,
YEAH! The procedure is over and everything went well. Sounds like you have much to smile about :)

I am glad for you.
(if i can remember the words):
Skippity doo dah, skippity day,
My oh my what I wonderful day
wonderful sonshine coming my way
Skippity doo dah, skippity day!

AAAAARGGHHHH....

Dear Betty I am sorry you had to go through this. On top of everything else it seems ... well, not quite FAIR!

Having shepherded my mom through a number of surgeries to remove various cancerous and pre-cancerous "things" (as she always called them) has made me very squeamish about this sort of thing. Her last one was, like yours, in a difficult location -- in her case, very close to her eye -- and we were all terrified. (It was her "good" eye, too.) But it came out OK, as yours apparently did. I hope and pray you don't ever have to go through anything like this again.

My mother, btw, had that very fair, pretty Scots-Irish-Welsh skin. I remember, when I was a kid, that she was forever trying to get a tan --usually unsuccessfully. Mostly she'd turn red and peel.

All the sisters in my father's family always told the little ones to stay out of the sun. They were of fair-skinned and some freckled Irish background. We, the younger generation, thought they were just old fuddy-duddies, but they really knew what they were talking about. I never spent much time in the sun, never could tan and I have passed on the info to my daughters. I hope they have paid attention and don't think that I'm a fuddy-duddy. LOL. :D :D

Betty,
I am so happy to hear the good results. You deserve the best.

Carla

Betty,

That's great news! I'm glad they were able to get it all.

Marge,

Maybe we should call it "squeamish cell" melanoma! ;)

Betty,
Sorry to hear you had to go through this but am delighted to hear of your good results. I am a redhead and have been very careful to keep out of the sun, at least since highschool. Apparently didn't change my habits quite soon enough as about 7 years ago I had one little cancerous place on my chest surgically removed and it left about a 1" scar on my chest-no more decolletage. As it turns out, my heart surgeon tracked his incision right over it, so it no longer shows. That little scar used to bother me but oddly enough I don't mind the 8 incher that now covers it. OHS sure changes one's perspective! Glad to hear you're doing well.
Sue

hi betty,
i haven't been around much , but i was so glad to read that they were able to remove it all and that you did not have too much bleeding to worry about.
you must be so glad it's behind you.
please let us know what your doc says about how to go on from here.
good to see you are doing well otherwise,
sylvia

Hi Betty

Sure sounds like good news for you......I'm so happy for you. Having just had the biopsy, I know what you're going through!!! What a great procedure---they keep on checking till they're sure they've gotten it all.

Again, congrats!!!

Evelyn

Hello Betty!

Hello Betty!

I always smile when I think of you. You're just such a sweet and caring person. You're much too nice to have to put up with all that. :mad:

Thank goodness it all turned out well!

Betty, glad to hear it sounds like they got it all. I appreciate the blurb you put in there about Coumadin & your lack of bleeding problems. Perhaps that example will help those that have concerns about that very issue.

I have echo what Rain said - I appreciate your cheery outlook and obvious concern for others.

Let us know how it goes....

Johnny

Jerry has had 3 mohs procedures done in the past 1 1/2 yrs. (All since his AVR). The first was for basal cell carcinoma on the top of the ear. A skin graft was done to avoid disfiguring the ear. Then a few months later a place came up on the tip of his nose that was different. It was diagnosed as squamous cell carcinoma and it was rather deep and aggressive. It was taken care of in March of '03; then 2 weeks ago one on his upper lip was also taken off. It was squamous cell as well.

In no case was his coumadin a factor. No excessive bleeding at all. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we're finding. after 2 years of coumadin experience. that it's no big deal. He eats salads, loves cabbage in any form, broccoli, cauliflower and his INR stays pretty stable. I read the posts about wine. We're tee-totalers so that hasn't been an issue.

Betty,
Don't know how I missed your post. I'm glad everything went well. I'm sure you're glad it's behind you now.

Hi Betty,

So glad everything worked out OK. I know even when I was younger, there was never any concerns about being out in the sun, but it certainly catches up with you later. My older step-sister was a model and used to bake in the sun with baby oil - she had to have half of her nose and cheek cut out and reconstructed a few years ago. So much for being "brown and beautiful".

Meanwhile, I just got back from having my very favourite mole removed this morning :( I find out next week if it was cancerous or not, but it was definitely getting bigger, so I thought better safe than sorry!!

I'm glad to hear they got all of yours before it caused too much damage.

Cheers
Anna : )

Anna,

Sorry the favorite mole had to go, but better safe, I think. Here's hoping that it wasn't a "bad one."

This is an old thread! Years has passed since your proceedure Betty. Hope you are doing well. I am going in for MOHS soon. On my back. Basal Cell. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back