Mitral Valvuloplasty

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fdegranville

Hello all,
Two weeks ago I had a mitral valvuloplasty. I am wondering if there are people here (besides Bunny) who have had the procedure. I would like to know what the long-term prognosis is, in other words, how long do they last, before a repeat is required,or replacement. I haven't found much in the literature, really nothing at all, so was just wondering if anyone here could help.

My valve was at 1 cm sq when they performed the procedure, but the doctor was unable to tell how much he was able to open the valve and the valve started to leak so he had to stop. Symptom-wise, not much has changed.

Thanks in advance,
fdeg

Hi Fdeg,

I don't want to discourage you but my cardiologist tried to do mitral valvuloplasty on me, as after looking at all my records he said I was a perfect candidate. The first time was in January 2001 and he nicked my heart so they had to stop because he was afraid of me bleeding. I didn't.

Then we resheduled for March 5, 2001. That time he went in and blew the valve wide open on the first try. Valve was useless then! March 8th, 2001 I ended up with OHS!

It sounded like a good idea at the time, if it meant I didn't have to have OHS! But Alas! I ended up having two valves replaced and one repaired. I figured they may as well do it all at once. Hopefully they won't have to go back in again.

Sounds like in the end you will have to have the valve replaced if it's still leaking. Sorry to hear this! Keep us posted.

Hey Fdeg

Hey Fdeg

Has, or is your doctor going to do a follow up echocardiogram to see what the results are?

I had my Valvuloplasty done in September and had an echo in October, and then again in February. Just to see how things went.

Mitral Valvuloplasty

Thanks so much for your replies,

Bill, the article you directed me to was really good. I just need to ask what my echo score was, but all in all the long term results seem good if they are able to open up the valve without causing to much regurg. Thanks again.

Lorraine, I'm glad I didn't ask my question prior to the procedure. My doctor also told me I was a good candidate for PMV, but also said there were no guarantees. I'm glad he stopped when he did, although he was really thinking about trying again. I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I hope you are doing well now. I don't think I would attempt it again. I think I would just go and get both replaced (I have a 3+ aortic leak), at least you are asleep through the whole thing.

Bunny my friend, I did go for an echo on Wednesday, but have not spoken to my doctor yet. The echo took way too long and was extremely painful. The tech was having the hardest time getting the images she wanted.

fdeg

Latest posts

Back